Anshuman's AW11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
lazy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Anshuman

Anshuman's AW11

Post by lazy »

Exactly two years and 81 days from today, on the 24 July 2013, I drove home my project 1986 MR2 Supercharger.
intro.jpg
intro.jpg (191.67 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
I didn't have much history with cars prior to that. I learnt to drive in a 1996 AE110 automatic Corolla. In 2009, I finally purchased my first car: a 1996 EL53 Corolla II in 5-speed MT that is still in the family today. Still uninitiated to automobiles, I upgraded to my current 2000 NZ New ZZT231 Celica in 6-speed MT. This move sparked an interest and curiosity into the inner workings of the four-wheeled machine that I was perusing on a daily basis.
history.jpg
history.jpg (159.25 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
By this time, I had just a couple of years of maintenance experience including a few engine oil changes, a gearbox oil change and coolant change. But I found I lacked the freedom to break things and experiment in general as I needed the Celica to get to and from work. Therefore, project car.

Why AW11? I can't remember. I like Toyotas, especially '80s Toyotas. I recollect missing out on a KP Starlet. I wanted a RWD project since I had only experienced FF cars till that point. AW11 MR2s were within my budget and I like how they look.

My plan was to learn and gain some mechanical experience from working on the MR2 and drive it, of course. Also, the MR2 could get me to work when doing anything more than basic maintenance on the Celica. However, circumstances changed and I was not able to devote as much time to the project as I had anticipated. Fortunately, the daily has not required much attention apart from basic maintenance yet.

Anyway, the car as I bought it:
Road legal AW11 Supercharger in rough condition. I did want something that was far from perfect. I would rather not ruin a good example and felt there would be a lot to learn from something that needs to be "fixed up".
Colour "8E3" -- the closest colour I could get to the '89 Super Edition.
Factory wheels.
Manual transmission.
rh-profile.jpg
rh-profile.jpg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Some unidentified twin pipe exhaust.
Lowered. Previous owner mentioned "cut springs". I couldn't confirm at the time and I still can't identify springs that have been cut.
Leaky T-top. Had been sealed shut by the previous owner.
Missing front wing. Apparently, ripped out due to it scraping everywhere. Front grill gone walkabout too.
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (164.09 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
rl-corner.jpg
rl-corner.jpg (122.24 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
t-top.jpg
t-top.jpg (139.21 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Black interior with some pre-facelift bits.
Cruise control "Auto-drive" or part of it anyway.
Manual wind-up windows with holes in the door trim that come for free.
Note that the interior shots are recent. Most of the interior is in the state I bought it except for
  • Speaker covers and stereo surround trim that I've deleted
  • A boost gauge that resided in the driver side vent that I've removed
  • An aftermarket stereo I don't have the unlock code for that I've taken out
driver-interior.jpg
driver-interior.jpg (178.04 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
passenger-interior.jpg
passenger-interior.jpg (128.81 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Pod filter. No factory air intake in sight.
No boot trim. Mostly missing "frunk" trim.
rear-boot.jpg
rear-boot.jpg (127.31 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
frunk.jpg
frunk.jpg (158.61 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Missing centre storage box, missing trim, missing jack and tool kit, missing bolts and a lot of other things are absent. Rust, however, is not absent and neither is accident damage; damage that I incorrectly believed to be OK to pass a Warrant of Fitness. I found out otherwise.

My aim is to tidy this car up to close to factory specification or rather as close to it as I can reasonably get.

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Re: Anshuman's AW11

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Looks like you have a bit of a parts list to come. Its a good start if its rust free, how is the motor and box?

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Main concern is rust. Have a look at my Gallery pics of where an AW can rust and give your car a good close look over.

http://mr2.org.nz/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1

That said, the midnight blue AW's tend to rust a lot slower than others, because the paint heats up in the sun and dries the car out. 8)

Give it a really good look over for rust first after examining my Gallery pics.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Spykerwolf
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Will

Post by Spykerwolf »

Looks like a difficult task ahead man, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the car at the end.
Best of luck 8)
Current: None
Past: '92 NA Hardtop manual