Twin charged AW11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Jamie

Twin charged AW11

Post by Millhouse1 »

Pretty cool vid .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8OfoqvVFs

Would be crazy quick

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: Twin charged AW11

Post by Alsw20 »

Twin charging belongs in the 1980's.

Turbocharging has come so far in the last thirty years, you can get amazing boost threshold along with massive top end power.

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

agreed, twincharging is overly complicated and inefficient if not done right. modern turbos or twinscrew compressors are a much better option in my opinion. but hey its pretty different :)

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.
First name: Jamie

Post by Millhouse1 »

Yeah I wasn't referring purely to power output. Just that it's different and more novel than just chucking a big turbo on it.

ptayler56
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Paul

Post by ptayler56 »

Alsw20 wrote:Twin charging belongs in the 1980's.
It's never been very common, but VW were still doing it in production cars as late as 2010? https://www.carthrottle.com/post/volksw ... its-maker/

Modern turbo's are great, but you'll always have either low down lag or run out of puff at high revs with a single turbo (can't have it both ways) - perhaps twin turbo can help, but certainly an interesting option is to supercharge for low down power and turbocharge for high end to get the best of both worlds :)
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." - George Bernard S

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

What about a compound setup? Yeah there is some lowdown lag, but the big turbo spools up much earlier because of the quick spooling small turbo. I've seen pressures passing 40 psi at 5000 rpm with a compound setup, Paul Volk and his Mitsubishi Eclipse is the example I'm referring to.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

I started a 4agzte builders page on facebook a while ago as I found a few like myself building these motors. There old hat but thats half the fun as they are an old school car so why not go old school with the forced induction :D

ptayler56
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Paul

Post by ptayler56 »

Tried looking for that facebook page but couldn't find it. Would be keen to find some more info from there, got a link? Thanks
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." - George Bernard S

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

ptayler56 wrote:Tried looking for that facebook page but couldn't find it. Would be keen to find some more info from there, got a link? Thanks
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1530394 ... 5/?fref=ts
:D
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Yea I probably should have thought of that myself.

feral4mr2
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: John

Post by feral4mr2 »

Alsw20 wrote:Twin charging belongs in the 1980's.

Turbocharging has come so far in the last thirty years, you can get amazing boost threshold along with massive top end power.
hi, over the past 20 years i've had every 16 valve variant of the 4ag engine in my aw11's.

the twincharge idea is ancient yes, but is still widely used through the world because of the drivability of the setup, not total hp output.
the 4ag can make awesome power from a turbo conversion, but a higher output turbo conversion as much fun as it is once spooled still suffers from lag, even with the cool ball bearing turbo's of today.

really it all depends on what the owner/driver wants from their car, i've recently gone from an insanely quick spooling little gt2554r 4agte to another twincharger setup, i'm not after massive power (wanted more than i had) but i want a good torque curve for the gymkhana and track days i use the car for.
i'm only shooting for ~250 - 270 rwhp, but want a useable torque curve basically from low rpm to redline that will help me shoot out of the corners passing the larger cars that aren't as nimble, but have enough hp to keep me out in front down the straights until the next corner.
the little gt2554r was great for corner exits, but the upper hp limits of the setup showed with larger top end faster cars.

hopefully i'll be able to get the new setup to the city soon and get it tuned properly, it's a bit scary trying to do it on the road. :shock: