Clives 1991 MR2 SW20

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Clive

Clives 1991 MR2 SW20

Post by clawnz »

Here will be the details of what the little Red Beast is all about.

I think it best if I ask a Mod or Admin to bring some of my other details from threads into this.
Yes it has some engine troubles, due or said due to being over heated.
That has been the last of my worries, so far.
The engine runs, and on all four, sounds very quiet and also seems to drive reasonable.
After compression check I have to think the motor needs reconditioning. It pulled around 120psi on all four pots.
Which I know is low enough to say worn.
I took on the MR2 with the Gen4 in it, knowing it would need work. But never figured it was such a mess.
Maybe I started wrong working on cosmetic things, while I thought out my plans for the mechanical side of things.
I knew I had to fix the rotted out exhaust. That was a mission in it's self, but fixed up with mods. Gen4 down pipe, so had to sort a flange for it and a new flexi joint. For now it is connected to a N/A silencer with the catalytic converter still in place.
As per my other thread I have a complete system coming down from USA. I know it is for the MK1 and some have commented it will still be too restrictive. It is a performance system. I know whatever I get will need to be modified to fit anyway, so not too worried.
It is 305 Stainless and cost a fraction of the prices I have been quoted here in NZ.
I am after free flow, but not too much noise. Yes the cat will be taken out of the system. But want a system I can legally use if and when I try to get this car complied.
Yes I know there is another worry.
So fitted a decent radio and speakers. While I had the interior apart I ripped out the old factory amps. Managed to get the MR2 Ariel to work, after some stripping down and playing with things.
Had a play with steering wheel and am still rethinking that. I am a bit on the short side and am not yet comfortable with the driving position.
Working on installing a 45mm Boost gauge into the cluster.
Got the speedo connected and working.
Power steering. Well not sure about this yet. Replaced relay and stopped there.
All four suspension springs were non captive when the car was jacked up.
Backs were easy and for now found and fitted standard springs and shocks.
Fronts. What a laugh. The top mount bearings were sized.
So, one shock shot, two springs non captive, and both bearings screwed.
The new bushes are on their way. Ordered online Monday arrived in my USA address yesterday and should be shipped out today, here in 5days.
Changed the front bumper over to a complete one. While I had the off took off the air con heat exchanger. Which was rotted out and most likely causing some blocking of air flow through the radiator. Took off the main chassis frame, cleaned, treated with rust kill and then sprayed internal with FishOlene. PA10'ed the outer. reinstalled and fitted new horns before putting the replacement front on. And got two spots to fit in the front. Loved that mission. NOT!
Somewhere in all this I also had a good look at some of the wiring, as the engine bay fan kept stopping. (I did pick up another from Zebra) In checking wiring back to fuse box and CPU was a little shocked to find all these wires, where things have been patched in, just twisted together and badly taped up. Bunches of wires just cut folded over and also badly taped up. How this engine was ever running I am not sure. So I have soldered the connections up. Heat shrinked them. Also put shrink tubing over all the bunches of cut wires.
On driving this to my warrant guy found strange knocking in the rear end drivers side. On top of lower ball joints not well. Got new ball joints and on deciding to take control arms off. Things got real interesting. Inner coupling bolt just turned? Captive nut had broken out. This is not good, time for a beer.
Ok next day and I knew I had to take the subframe out to deal with this. After getting it on the bench used cutting disk to open up a hole and mig welded the nut in place and managed to undo the bolt. It is a Throwaway. No way in hell can I fix this. So next was to decide where to get another subframe. I knew there was one over the shore from a guy parting on out, I knew the guy in Cambridge also would have one. Then there was the guy trying to sell his MR20. As luck would have it I also knew there was one at Zebra in Manukau. They told me bare frame $60 and off I went with tools in hand, dreading trying to take one off out there, thinking that I was going to be dealing with sized bolts.
It was all good and got it home, cleaned it up and then FishOlened it. cleaned threads and put never size on them. This morning I have it mostly installed.
And I have not finished sorting the wheels out. That was another issue. Only two centric rings for four wheels! These took some real detective work to find the right ones. Plastic and had to pay $20 each for them.
So where am I? I have a car that needs a paint job and an engine rebuild.
Been told I will need to fit a E153 gearbox when I blow this one up.
So looking at a bit of money to be thrown at it yet.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Clives 1991 MR2 SW20

Post by Benckj »

Quite a long saga to say the least. Guess it pays to go some serious research before buying a project car like this. No doubt with enough time and money you will get there.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Can we link to this post when someone comes onto the forum about this 'bargain' MR2 they have seen on Trade Me that only needs a couple of things to get her sorted?

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

Hey! No Worries if you want to use this as a warning to anybody looking at buying.
If someone does not have a clue and is not capable of doing most of the work, then this sort of challenge would be out of their grasp.
As I said I knew I was into some work and expected a few things would need my attention.
At the end of the day it does not have any rust that I have seen, so basically a good foundation to build on.
And I feel most 25yr old cars that people have played with would need some things done. I just did not expect to find so many cowboys had played with it. David was good enough to make contact and fill me in on what he knew about a bit of this cars history.
We are so very lucky down here in NZ, as you guys do not have a clue about rust issues.
25yr old cars and still have nuts and bolts that spanners fit on and are still nuts and bolts.
Being a Two & From, I can tell you some stories. I worked on some wicked rust repairs.
Rust buckets were the norm. Some so bad that the insurance companies charged more for certain cars. Like Mini, 1100, 1300 BMC.
I did chassis repairs and panel work for awhile.
And where $1,700 was a good price or not, is a good question.
I figured if I parted it out I could of recuperated at least most of that back.

So here is a little vid of the subframe captive nut issue.
[youtube-embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnoRwwy ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-embed]

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

This is weird, but to embed a youtube vid, you have to grab the code from the embed link that youtube gives you,
ie. from <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MnoRwwy5haw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
just grab the https://www.youtube.com/embed/MnoRwwy5haw
and then use the iframe function instead of the youtube-embed...
Here:
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

No, just grab the youtube ID e.g. MnoRwwy5haw and put it inside the youtube tag:
Screen shot 2015-12-12 at 4.42.31 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-12-12 at 4.42.31 PM.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

Screen shot 2015-12-12 at 4.44.03 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-12-12 at 4.44.03 PM.png (46.37 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
As for that captive - or rather, loose nut, it looks like some careful welding might be in order? :shock:
Or better yet swap out the subframe...

Don't drive it until you're damed sure it's safe Clive. :idea:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

mickeyduck wrote:No, just grab the youtube ID e.g. MnoRwwy5haw and put it inside the youtube tag
Duly noted :mrgreen:
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

Ok Let me try this again.
What I did the first time was copy URL for the vid and open window youtube-embed and pasted URL. Result is what you see in my first effort to post vid.

So open youtube-embed and past copied URL into window.[youtube-embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDoV114WxqA[/youtube-embed]
Next one open youtube-embeb and past just PDoV114WxqA on the window
And try this one URL window https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDoV114WxqA

Ok I see in Preview the one done as Kris says works. The other two will link, so sort of works.

This is not MR2 But Terrano run back from Stratford with a new bird Sophie. Though her name was Scalet, before I adopted her.
10.5hr road trip 800km down and back same day. Don't run the numbers, as you may find we were speeding a little.

Now wheres the edit button.

I would note. That I am not taking any car out on the road that is a danger to me or any other person.
One of my rules I have always lived by is. Brakes and suspension before speed.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

clawnz wrote:Now wheres the edit button.
That's one of the perks that paid up club members get.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

I have made the decision to abandon the Gen4 N/A.
Hopefully logics have kicked in. I am concerned I may never get it totally legal. I have had cars complied before, but nothing this old.
So I know they could cripple me cost wise. I still need to pull head to see if the gasket is blown. There are still bushes that should be replaced in suspension. And it needs a complete repaint.
I know I have thrown good money and time at it already, but time to pull the pin and part it out.
And the experience has been worth it, in that I have learned a lot of 'How Too's'.
There are parts I need like wheels, front bumper, bumper bar, guard maybe. And a few other things I may need to remove from my N/A

I have taken on a 1992 MR2 SW20 GT-S with some body damage. I feel a much more viable option, as it is 100% legal.
I am sure some of you would of seen the car in question on Trade Me. I have yet to take photos as it only arrived late last night.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Probably a wise decision given the time and money involved. Best to start s new thread with the latest project.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods