TNR's AW11 (Finally!)

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: TNR

TNR's AW11 (Finally!)

Post by TNR »

Alright so its been a few months since my introduction thread in the general section. I finally managed to sell my other car and find the kind of AW11 I was after.

Here are the specs:
- Red paint
- 177k Km
- Sunroof
- Auto

Oh no Auto... I know these cars need to be manual to properly enjoy them but I was after a clean rust free car and liked this one and the previous owners seemed to have looked after it alright.
My plan is to use it as is (as a secondary car), and when the auto box dies I'll do a manual swap.
Other than this I'll probably keep it close to stock.

here are some pics as I was driving it home.

Oh by the way, if you were the person who waved to me in a beige/gold AW11 in Hamilton sorry I didn't wave back. I didn't notice till you were almost beside me and then I was like wow another AW11 and didn't have time to wave back.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: TNR's AW11 (Finally!)

Post by mickeyduck »

Don't wait until the auto box dies before doing a manual swap (could be a while...)

My first AW11 was n.a. auto. No guts from a standing start, dodgy if doing a right hand turn from a side street. Unlike a SC auto.

But with a manual box and a few revs an n.a. can go well.

Even with an auto box, a ton of fun on a twisty back-road. :twisted:

Being pre '87 (well, pre 90 really) be sure to look very closely for any rust from time to time (see my rusty 2 in the gallery). Keep it garaged and out of the wet.

More than anything, enjoy driving it...!!! :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Yeah to be honest the waiting for it to die part was also supposed to let my bank account recover a little lol. But yeah, an auto (especially such an old auto) on a not so powerful engine is less than ideal.
I'm going to be doing a bit of reading regarding AW11 manual swaps and transmission etc. I know that some people say its better to use a newer box from a Toyota levin? maybe, and just drill a new hole for the selector shaft? The only thing with that is the oil seal for the newly drilled hole seems a bit sketchy to me. Anyway this isn't happening just now.

I drove it up from Palmerston North and there were a few twisty sections (I was trying to stick to SH1). It feels great on those, the manual steering is great it really does make it feel like a big go kart or something, the way it loads up in corners and gives feedback.

Yeah I will check more thoroughly for rust since I know that it seems to be the biggest curse of these cars. Luckily I can provide it a full time garage space.

Thanks.

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

Bolt a super charger on
win every tragic light derby :-)
might help with speeding up the death of the auto as well
Super clean car nice find.
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Did you buy the one Mr Shiny said had a bad respray? It still looks good compared to mine and I am grinning ear to ear for you I'm that happy. I've always fantasised about 4AGEs, so let it rev!! I love the wheels and you've got the rear window Toyota thing which is badass. Lovely pictures and looking forward to this one.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Thank you. It would probably be a lot more fun with a supercharger, but I don't know. I have a thing for certain engines like the 4AGE being NA, not much power in NA form but just enjoy that sound and simplicity.

Anyway took some more pics this morning:

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Swampy wrote:Did you buy the one Mr Shiny said had a bad respray? It still looks good compared to mine and I am grinning ear to ear for you I'm that happy. I've always fantasised about 4AGEs, so let it rev!! I love the wheels and you've got the rear window Toyota thing which is badass. Lovely pictures and looking forward to this one.
Hey thanks for that, yeah I am very happy with this one. With the sunroof opened and revving that 4age behind your back is just perfect, so cool having a mid engine car.
No this isn't that one that was on TradeMe. This one is still listed on autotrader I think. Don't worry I didn't pay anything close to the price advertised since that was some dealer who listed it. Bought it off the owner.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Wow that is super clean! Even I would feel guilty about modifying it :wink:
Good luck with it!
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Statek wrote:Wow that is super clean! Even I would feel guilty about modifying it :wink:
Good luck with it!
Haha yeah almost feels like a responsibility to keep it original. I haven't bought this as an investment though, I'll probably do some minor and easily reversible mods.
For example wheels, Momo steering wheel, perhaps painting the skirts, spoiler and bumper trims to match the colour of the car. Of course I'd keep the original parts.

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Wow that is super clean and tidy!! Nice find 8)

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

That steering wheel is worth moonbeams. Very highly sought after in good nick like that.

Very tidy machine.

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.
First name: Jamie

Post by Millhouse1 »

Yes it's nice mate, well done. They are getting harder and harder to find now, especially in good condition like yours.

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Alright guys, so while most of the car is really great there is one thing I noticed driving it back up to Auckland.
When driving slowly there is a knocking sound front the front suspension. Initially I thought: Oh, the lower ball joints probably need replacement. However, after jacking the car up and inspecting it closely they seem very tight. It also has new brake lines, sway bar end links, and is generally pretty tidy looking.

I also ruled out the top mounts as I don't see any kind of play in them. The sound seemed to be coming from the strut insert itself.

So I proceeded to remove the drivers side strut, and disassemble it after compressing the spring.

Here is what I found:

This is kind of surprising because I can tell they have been changed not too long ago, and the strut inserts have a "Made in USA" stamp so shouldn't be of very bad quality.

Either way I'm glad it wasn't one of those hard to diagnose mysteries and everything came apart easily. Kind of enjoyable and pleasant to work on compared to my BMW which has a similar strut insert deisign, however, everything was monstrously tight and heavy.

So now I would really appreciate if anyone could recommend some good strut inserts for me. I will be keeping the OEM springs. Preferably something OEM like in terms of ride and quality.
At this point in time I'm not going to be replacing the entire suspension so only want OEM type inserts.

Also I may replace the top mounts if anyone knows if Toyota still make them (3 hole type).

Thanks.
Last edited by TNR on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dell'orto
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Brad

Post by Dell'orto »

Stunner

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Warranty? OR Become a club member, go to either Wairau Alignment Centre, Toyota, BNT and get a discount on the parts OR come to me (Auto One Manukau) and I'll look after you