TNR's AW11 (Finally!)

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

Re: TNR's AW11 (Finally!)

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

JasonFriday13 wrote:
*84vvt wrote:
JasonFriday13 wrote:"c ITB's become a restriction so on goes a big single.
I call bull
They are just a pain to tune for Forced induction " ITB's" that is.
I guess I wasn't clear enough: [When you put a big turbo on an engine,] ITB's become a restriction so on goes a big single.
That's just what I have learned anyway, I wonder if there have been any tests done to check if this is true?

Running ITB's are good for response, because the throttle plate is so close to the valves.

I rarely blab like that on the forums, but I do it a bit more often when working on cars with other people.
Sorry, just to add, from what I've learned this is because on high boost/flow at full throttle the ITB butterfly's cause terbulance and uneven flow through the runner where you are trying to gain even flow (torque)

My mate that has a drift shop has made a 15mm spacer to go between the head and ITB's to help with this problem on his single turbo high boost set up.

He said if he could he would stick with the twin turbo set up (running different upgraded turbos of corse) because they are far more responsive but because of twice the cost and twice the amount of areas for a fault to occur on a race car it's not worth it.
And the same goes for the throttles, if they weren't factory he would run a single plenum and throttle to make it far more simple.
In his words, "less shit there is on the car, the less shit there is to fix"

Intakes looking super clean though man! Would be interesting to see what you do later on, seems there's ambition and smarts for a good project ;)
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

I say do what you want, tuning is endless, whether or not you lose or gain a couple kw in the end you built it and it is what you want.

tuning itbs is not tricky, most tuners can easily tune them. and if you buy a dual carb syncrometer then setting an equal vacuum on them is very easily done. to me they are awesome, they look cool, sound cool and feel cool 8)

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: TNR

Post by TNR »

MR2GUY wrote:I say do what you want, tuning is endless, whether or not you lose or gain a couple kw in the end you built it and it is what you want.

tuning itbs is not tricky, most tuners can easily tune them. and if you buy a dual carb syncrometer then setting an equal vacuum on them is very easily done. to me they are awesome, they look cool, sound cool and feel cool 8)
Oh I'm installing ITB's, no doubt about that.

I just put the stock intake back on because the ITB's are a future project after a manual swap (which is not happening anytime soon either).

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Okay so after re installing the intake manifold and injectors etc. I started the car up, looked at the engine to make sure it was alright and immediately saw a massive fuel leak. Like seriously terrible, fuel spraying out under pressure; lucky the engine was cold.

So I took off the fuel rail/injectors and found this:

I wasn't careful enough putting the injectors into the rail, I remember this injector (#2) being a little hard to put in too.

Anyway all four O-rings were pretty old and probably should have been replaced, so a trip to Toyota and ~$40 later (bought for all four injectors):

And installed:

Pretty expensive for something that should cost no more than 50c each, but I didn't want to have a fire due to cheeping out on the fuel system. Tested it after this and so far no signs of any leaks.

Alright so after I did all that suspension work the alignment was completely out (could visually see excessive toe in on the rear). Finally took it to an alignment shop, this is what was found:

Obviously a night and day difference in handling before and after.

Filled it with 98 and took it for a long drive:

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Very nice to see you handling the business and enjoying your car. I wonder if using 98 over 95 is safer for our engines, apart from giving us a slight increase in hp. I love it.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Good to see you got the o rings. It's safer to get the exact ones designed for that application, especially when fuel is involved.

Epic photo, I didn't think Auckland could look that good. :lol: :D
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Swampy wrote:I wonder if using 98 over 95 is safer for our engines, apart from giving us a slight increase in hp.
Really it depends on if it's boosted or not. The number stated is the Octane rating, which basically means "resistance to detonation". Obviously the higher the better. That's why it's advised to run boosted cars with a high octane fuel. On non-boosted cars, the only difference is in fuel economy (the higher octane makes it slightly more efficient). High-strung N/A engines might need a higher octane fuel if it shows detonation.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah the car had been sitting for a while so I wanted to use some 98 octane just to clean out the fuel system (old fuel looked pretty stale/yellow when it leaked out).
Its not my daily driver anyway so I'm only going to use 95/96 octane and 98 once in a while or for long trips.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

TNR wrote:old fuel looked pretty stale/yellow when it leaked out
Petrol has a yellow tinge so it is easily identifiable, for example when it leaks. Same goes for the smell of petrol, added for ease of identification.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by TNR »

Not really an MR-2 update but it is Toyota related.

Sold the CRX since AW11 + CRX was not a very practical combo.

Bought a 2003 Altezza RS200 as a daily.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Hey your Altezza has the engine I want. Lovely, looks great. Hope you get heaps of use out of it!!
~ 4 Runs ~

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Swampy wrote:Hey your Altezza has the engine I want. Lovely, looks great. Hope you get heaps of use out of it!!
You will never fit an Altezza 3SGE into an MR2.

Altezza looks tidy and standard . Top marks.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Alsw20 wrote:
Swampy wrote:Hey your Altezza has the engine I want. Lovely, looks great. Hope you get heaps of use out of it!!

Well damn. Have you taken the Altezza to some twisties yet? I wanna know how it drives compared to the 2 :)
~ 4 Runs ~

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Alsw20 wrote:

Not true, Roman did a conversion several years ago. I'm not sure on the specifics, but he did have to cut some stuff away from the strut tower to make it fit.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

It was a red top.