Zimmo's 1991 2GRFE project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Zimmo's 1991 2GRFE project

Post by GDII »

That looks nice. At least they took off the front bumper to paint it, my A/C radiator is red because they didn't mask it up or remove the bumper.
Black primer is a great idea on a dark coloured car for paint chips. I've never thought of that as it's usually red or grey.

I'd love to see this thing supercharged, as far as I know no one here has done that in an SW20. What power can the kit give these engines?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Dylan

Post by Zimmo »

Ah thats not good, looked like a pain to put the bumper back on though.

Well from my research and what gouky has informed me the first thing to happen with forced induction is head lift as the headstuds are weak so they have been replaced with ARP ones. The second thing is larger injectors so I have long nose higher flow ones with Radium fuel rails and fuel pulse damper. Then with about 8psi you should see around 400-450hp atw much higher than that and you are looking at forged internals.... Seems the stock crank can handle much much more than that.

While 450hp isnt an amazing raw number I believe with the delivery throught the v6 it will be a handful.

I'm wondering if the stock gearing of the e153 will be ok with the v6 or if a longer final is needed.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Hey mate welcome aboard. Will be nice to see this wee beast of yours on a run sometime.

I'm going to move this thread into the Rides section where it can get the attention it deserves...

What do you want me to rename it to?
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Maybe 1991 2GRFE project.. I'm bad at heading you can have creative licence

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Like the look of the car. Very much in the same style as mine. I'm currently running no rear spoiler and like the look. I'm going to track my car so don't know what exactly I will put on?

The colour looks like Dark Emerald Green which is the same as mine but mine is a Gen 2 GTS T Top. Im also up for a repaint so thanks for the info on your respray.

Welcome aboard and hope to catch up soon. Cheers Ross

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Alex

Post by Sinturion »

Welcome 2GR brother!

The stock e153 gearing is not good for V6s. Especially with the stock 6500rpm limiter.

There are final drive options (3.6, 3.9) from other gearboxes that fit , but they're quite rare - especially the 3.6
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

chief1eye wrote:Like the look of the car. Very much in the same style as mine. I'm currently running no rear spoiler and like the look. I'm going to track my car so don't know what exactly I will put on?

The colour looks like Dark Emerald Green which is the same as mine but mine is a Gen 2 GTS T Top. Im also up for a repaint so thanks for the info on your respray.

Welcome aboard and hope to catch up soon. Cheers Ross
Thanks alot! Yes its Dark Emerald Green, according to the paint computer there are a few options of that colour from the factory over the years. I am really happy with how it looks. Are you going to do something like superlap or turn it into a full time track weapon? I often watch the MR2 Australia red 5SGTE race around the track on YouTube and looks like it does well.

Look forward to seeing your car in person.

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Sinturion wrote:Welcome 2GR brother!

The stock e153 gearing is not good for V6s. Especially with the stock 6500rpm limiter.

There are final drive options (3.6, 3.9) from other gearboxes that fit , but they're quite rare - especially the 3.6
Oh nice a AW11 with the v6! Must be a blast! My friends husband who live up north has a younger brother with one... really wanna see how they go!

I will be setting the redline to 7500 as I will not use the stock ECU... hmm I better start to be on the lookout for a final drive option though.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Zimmo wrote:I will be setting the redline to 7500 as I will not use the stock ECU...
From a bit of searching on the web, I've read about and seen experiments done with the 2grfe and it really starts struggling above 7000 rpms. Setting the limit to 7500 rpms will probably show drop-offs in power as the VE decreases. If you use a Link G4 ecu, you can use the variable cam timing to help reverse this case and at least reduce the loss of power.

This is just the info I've read about, but there is nothing like first hand experience so I would say go for it and find out what it does.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

JasonFriday13 wrote:
Zimmo wrote:I will be setting the redline to 7500 as I will not use the stock ECU...
From a bit of searching on the web, I've read about and seen experiments done with the 2grfe and it really starts struggling above 7000 rpms. Setting the limit to 7500 rpms will probably show drop-offs in power as the VE decreases. If you use a Link G4 ecu, you can use the variable cam timing to help reverse this case and at least reduce the loss of power.

This is just the info I've read about, but there is nothing like first hand experience so I would say go for it and find out what it does.
Will be interesting to find out, I have no real idea as I haven't finished mine as yet however I believe from what I have read that the Lotus Evora revs out to 7,200 in sports mode, peak power coming on at 6100 rpm and torque at 4300 (on the dyno), so I didn't want my redline set just 400 after peak power.
I have fueling sorted, headers and exhaust with no factory cats to bottleneck anything, only other thing I can think of is larger throttle body, the VVTi will be expensive to tune across the rev range but yes I agree it can help reduce power loss. The wiring should (fingers crossed) be finished in 4 weeks then off to the tuners.

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

My Car is pretty modified with the following; dont know all the specs but heres most of it
T3/T4 turbo
Head rebuild and Athena Multilayer Racegasket
Heavy Duty pressureplate, 4 puk clutch - throwout bearing
Upgraded fuel system Walbro 255 and twin entry etc
Megasquirt ECU
JASMA freeflow exhaust
Upgraded Intercooler but still not enough

Just having water/methanol injection installed right now and should be on the dyno tomorrow. let you know how it goes. Cheers

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Zimmo wrote:Will be interesting to find out, I have no real idea as I haven't finished mine as yet however I believe from what I have read that the Lotus Evora revs out to 7,200 in sports mode, peak power coming on at 6100 rpm and torque at 4300 (on the dyno), so I didn't want my redline set just 400 after peak power.
That's better than my engine, my cam setup on my 3sgte means that I'm making peak power at the rev limit, and it's already raised to 7500rpms :roll: . http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... &start=251.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

chief1eye wrote:My Car is pretty modified with the following; dont know all the specs but heres most of it
T3/T4 turbo
Head rebuild and Athena Multilayer Racegasket
Heavy Duty pressureplate, 4 puk clutch - throwout bearing
Upgraded fuel system Walbro 255 and twin entry etc
Megasquirt ECU
JASMA freeflow exhaust
Upgraded Intercooler but still not enough

Just having water/methanol injection installed right now and should be on the dyno tomorrow. let you know how it goes. Cheers
Very nice setup!! I have the AEM meth kit but I dont think it will help my NA v6 much. Very interested to hear your dyno results, who did your tuning?

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

JasonFriday13 wrote:
Zimmo wrote:Will be interesting to find out, I have no real idea as I haven't finished mine as yet however I believe from what I have read that the Lotus Evora revs out to 7,200 in sports mode, peak power coming on at 6100 rpm and torque at 4300 (on the dyno), so I didn't want my redline set just 400 after peak power.
That's better than my engine, my cam setup on my 3sgte means that I'm making peak power at the rev limit, and it's already raised to 7500rpms :roll: . http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... &start=251.
So you have to live off the rev limiter! Sounds like many people here have very nice cars.

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

I'm heading to the workshop tomorrow so I'll try to take some photos of the inside and engine.