Zimmo's 1991 2GRFE project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Zimmo's 1991 2GRFE project

Post by GDII »

Zimmo wrote:The Blade master is a nice daily driver, must be a bit of a handful all that power at the front wheels! :twisted:

I'm only shooting for 400whp so It wont be mental fast but should be fun!
Only.... That's 200hp more than the stock engine which is pretty much 80% extra power. Nothing to sniff at.

Love the progress reports. The wiring loom is impressive. What are you using to tell the ECU what speed you are going or is this not important? I see a random grey wire floating around in the ECU shot, not sure what it is for.
Alsw20 wrote:This is going to be mental. My new daily driver is a Blade Master G with the 2GR. It's proper quick even with the six speed auto.
Nice buy Al. We were toying with the idea of getting one for a work car but we settled with a new Mazda 2. Only 2 people in the office would appreciate it and it's mostly for city driving but also for trips to Palmy.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Dylan

Post by Zimmo »

Thanks GDII, I would love to save money and do more of the work myself however I have no suitable garage now days and busy with work. I had a spare electronic speed sensor for the car so they are going to run it off that, it's needed as the C125 dash covers the old cluster. They seem to be doing a tidy job and terminating the connections properly as well as heat shielding them.

Well that's another way to look at it yes practically double the power, there was talk of building the motor but I think I at this level I will scare myself. And super excited to get it done so I can meet you all and check out the other cars out there!
GDII wrote:
Zimmo wrote:The Blade master is a nice daily driver, must be a bit of a handful all that power at the front wheels! :twisted:

I'm only shooting for 400whp so It wont be mental fast but should be fun!
Only.... That's 200hp more than the stock engine which is pretty much 80% extra power. Nothing to sniff at.

Love the progress reports. The wiring loom is impressive. What are you using to tell the ECU what speed you are going or is this not important? I see a random grey wire floating around in the ECU shot, not sure what it is for.

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Wiring is done, when I get the chance in the next few days I'll post up the completed work.

Ordered CRW Inner CV joints off KO Racing and they arrived today, I have read on here that some people say you only need them after 500+ horsepower but I would rather be safe than sorry.
IMG_20160711_143836.jpg

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I think with your build and having 1.5X the capacity of a 3S or 5S the torque gains with the turbo will be enough to break something like the standard cages. Most of the failures are due to hard launches with drag racing.
I think it's a good move for reliability. It would be disappointing to turn up to the track and break it on your first launch.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Yes, while drag racing isn't what I intend to do all the time (It would be nice to have a 11 sec car though if poss) I would like to do superlap as a few of my friends in their MPS's do it and it seems fun.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Good move going with the stronger axle cages. Its not one of those things which you want to repair when it goes wrong. Even at stock levels the cages can break during hard launches. Really makes a mess of things when it does.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Exactly, now less important things can blow up first, like my gearbox :twisted:

Making up a plate to cover the hole where my instrument cluster used to be and then mounting the C125. I have unlocked the I/O so I can get water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure and levels, have the outer lights on the LED readout show when my indicators are working and the center LED's night up blue when my high beam is on... fully road legal dash that displays everything I could ever need.
Benckj wrote:Good move going with the stronger axle cages. Its not one of those things which you want to repair when it goes wrong. Even at stock levels the cages can break during hard launches. Really makes a mess of things when it does.

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Tell me more about that dash arrangement. Any photos?

Sounds interesting

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Currently the only photo I have is of the dash plugged in not running and not mounted, once the work is done I'll load up some photos for you.
IMG_20160718_121150.jpg
IMG_20160718_121150.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

chief1eye wrote:Tell me more about that dash arrangement. Any photos?

Sounds interesting

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I'm curious as well about the dash layout especially since I'm doing something similiar with a tablet running Shadow Dash. Mine is portable as will connect through Bluetooth so can leave in various positions including HUD.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Once I do the startup and have it dialed in then I'll post the results and the screens. Sadly with the motec to do custom dashboards I need to pay another $400 :( but the standard screens should be ok.

Are the Android dashboards road legal?

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Don't know about legality if used solely for dashboard. I'm only using for gauge display while retaining OEM set up . Speed is GPS and doesn't have inputs such as turn signals or fuel.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

Ah then they will not be legal but as a replacement for having gauges everywhere it's a a great idea. On my MPS I used an OBDII port Bluetooth and torque pro and it worked very well except for some Bluetooth disconnect issues from time to time, but I suspect it's because the Bluetooth connector was about $3 from China.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Hope mine stays connected well enough using BT. Its a cheapy device but has had some good reviews. Still playing with gauge layouts and scaling which is a never ending job. So much to modify and have to do most of it while connected and on-line with EMS. I'll post up a pic when I have operational.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Zimmo »

It should do, I was running it through an old phone so that wouldn't have helped.

Ye ol turbo
IMG_20160719_140142.jpg
And another customers exhaust
IMG_20160719_141839.jpg