Green Hornet

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ross

Re: Green Hornet

Post by chief1eye »

Finally got the bracket and gas strut in place and it is Sweet!. Could only get a strut that was 355mm not 345mm but it still fitted great, the 100N pressure is perfect. The is no pressure on the lid when closed, you lift it to about half way and then the gas strut takes over. Very pleased.. Looks great too, much better than my wooden stick!

Thanks to ToyMad who supplied the brackets.
Attachments
lid gas strut 2.jpg
lid gas strut 1.jpg

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Probably the best MR2 mod ever invented. I don’t know why any car wouldn’t have some sort of assisted lid support.

For anyone else looking at the brackets can be made at home and struts used for tool box lids work great. Think I bought a set of stainless struts under $50.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Shaun

Post by Mrman »

Nice job on the gas strut, I just made one for mine, and it’s so much easier now I’ve ditched the rod. If you can put the shaft side down, it helps stop water pooling around the seal. We have had a few fail that way through work although I’m sure it’s different on a vehicle application. :D

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Mrman wrote:Nice job on the gas strut, I just made one for mine, and it’s so much easier now I’ve ditched the rod. If you can put the shaft side down, it helps stop water pooling around the seal. We have had a few fail that way through work although I’m sure it’s different on a vehicle application. :D
Yep. done the swap around already. Should have installed years ago, just soooooo god!