BRD's 1992 MR2 Manual Turbo GT-S

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
brd
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Andrew

BRD's 1992 MR2 Manual Turbo GT-S

Post by brd »

Sorry for the novel: tl;dr Bought a car in Chch, drove it home to Tauranga = Good!

So picked up my new 92 Manual Turbo on Sunday from Christchurch, drove it up to Kaikoura Sunday arvo and stayed with friends before getting the ferry at 2pm Monday and then drove straight home to Tauranga getting in at 1230 Monday morning (just under 900km driving all up). Overall pretty easy trip - the rain coming out of Wellington in rush hour was a bit of a downer and together with the snow/ice on the Desert Rd (and the handling quirk) meant I took it pretty easy all the way home - except for a little spurt up the Kaimais just before i got home - which seemed to get the exhaust quite warm!! :D 8) :mrgreen:

Car is very straight and tidy for a 24 year old car - interior especially - little hole in the usual spot on the bolster of the drivers seat (but was given a spotless replacement seat to change in - just its black compared to the others as blue).

Mechanically mostly standard except for an alarm, turbo timer and a momo F1 concept wheel (not really my style of wheel to look at, but nice to drive with). Has K&N pod filter - induction noise was good for entertainment purposes and the exhaust looks to be a bit bigger than standard. Usual wind noise from the mirrors and also one from the top of the drivers window which got a bit tiresome over the drive…

Alpine stereo, Alpine amp in the boot and a sub behind each seat and components/tweeters in pods in the doors - and a high pitched whistle (did I mention that 900kms drive?) Not a bad system, but needs more midrange for my taste. Will consider what I want to do here - need to get something with bluetooth to play music from my phone but after that its about making it sound quality not quantity, will probably ditch the subs...

Found the fog lights only worked intermittently through the night - would see them cut out and in and random times, as well as the dash light indicator. In the end turned them off as it was starting to distract me! Also the illumination on the AC unit would occasionally cut out, but a wiggle of the temp selector got that back straight away.

Boost gauge looks like it "sticks" as you accelerate - as in suddenly jumps up to about 1/3 on the gauge, then moves up and down normally. Doesn't feel like there is any mechanical issue, just the gauge? Will need to dig around that one some more

Has a small oil seep around the valve cover which I'll have to tidyup for a start and check all the bolts etc

Handling wise pulls to right under acceleration, and as you lift off the gas/change gear swerves back to the left. I suspect this is due to the mis-matched tyres on the rear - Dunlop Dirrezza (almost at the wear indicators) on the left, Roadstone (yuck) on the right. Could be lots of other things, but until I can get a matched set on the back not a lot of point chasing that one!

17inch alloys have some pretty decent kurb rash/gouges which I'll need to do something with. Tyres size 235/40-17 is not a common size I've found already - Toyos sound like the answer to that problem? Front is 215/40-17 (Falkens) but they've got a lot of meat on them still.

So I've got a few little things to work on, plan for now is just the basics:
Oil drip/seep
Get the tyres/handling sorted
Sort out the fog light issues (and do the mod)
Sort out illumination on AC unit
Mirror wind noise & take a look at the other window seals
Stereo whistle

Later will be wheel tidyup (and paint?), new headunit and sort out sounds, LED's in instrument gauge and probably a million other things I think of.

brd
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: BRD's 1992 MR2 Manual Turbo GT-S

Post by brd »

And roadtrip pics:
Attachments
1 GretaValley.jpg
2 KaikouraCoast.jpg
3 KaikouraCoast.jpg
4 KaikouraCoast.jpg
5 DesertRd.jpg

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Clive

Post by clawnz »

Looks good. And sounds like a good drive with weather being what it has been like.
Congrats on the new car.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

That last pic. Just nope. No way would I have attempted a snowy icy desert road late at night in a turbo MR2.

Car looks good though :P

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Very nice car, and yes I agree with Al, MR2 in the snow, very dangerous. Well done keeping it on the road AND taking a photo.

For tires, there are a few choices out there to consider. Toyo T1R in 215/40 and 235/40, Yokohama S Drives in 215/40 and 235/40 and Bridgestone RE003 in 215/40 and 245/40. If you get Bridgestone at the right time you'll pick up a set for under $800 while the others will be over $1000. There are a few other options like Yokohama Advan AD08R but the price and wear rate is quite high.

The boost gauge isn't really good at showing much. It's electronic and runs off the MAP sensor but isn't accurate at all, plus it has no number so you can't read it anyway.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

graphite
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charles

Post by graphite »

Nice car you got there, I purchased one around 10 days ago, will have similar bugs to iron out too, however I think its worth it :)
1990 Toyota MR2 GT Stock as a Rock.
2007 Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe

brd
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by brd »

Thanks guys, Desert Rd was absolutely fine taken very gently, 50-60km/hr (much slower for the pic), about 100m behind a couple of heavy trucks staying very carefully in their tracks and with light throttle & no brakes. Same way I've done the Napier-Taupo many times over the years in many different vehicles. Wasn't going to try anything silly.

Hadn't thought about Yokos, will check them out for $$. Have never been a fan of Bridgestone tyres but i know lots of people rate the RE003s so could be time for me to get over that. I know a few Dunlop (Motorsport) guys so have been pretty well loyal to them over the years but they've cut their range right back so no choice really.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

I'm glad this went to a club member. Such a clean example. Considered the trip to CHCH myself, but didn't have the time.

Good score! Looking foward to seeing how it goes.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Nice! And welcome to the club. You need to get to know Jim & Danusia aka Guthrie they're in your neck of the woods and I'm sure will be keen for some road trips. 8)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I was never a fan of Brigstones either having some poor tyres on my work 4wd. They are much better now across the range so worth a shot provided you can get in your size.

BTW welcome to the club and thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: David

Post by NzLHD »

nice! car looks mint :D welcome and might see you round town :)
'86 AW10 2ZZ-GTE

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

I'm a big fan of the Yokohama S Drives that GDII listed. I have the 14 inch versions on my Corolla GT.

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I'm a big fan of Toyo T1R that I have in 15" but the sidewalls are a bit soft. Good for comfort but not so much for steering response. I don't know what the 17s are like so can't comment on that.
Only other 'problem' is I only get 18,000km from the rears but 36,000km from the fronts. It's only an NA so the power isn't exactly wearing them out. All the wear is even over the tire, very minimal camber or toe wear.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

brd
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by brd »

Finally got some new rear tyres on Friday (Goodyear F1 D5)… so decided to test them out by taking the MR2 up to Whitianga for Rally Coromandel.

Very happy to find that now having a matched pair on the back of the car totally cured the pulling to the right under acceleration and left off-throttle! Unfortunately now I find the front of the car is a bit vague and not planted, next step is the wheel alignment (which I ran out of time for on Friday) to see if I can sort that also.

The right rear tyre is also rubbing on the guard under full compression so looks like I'll have to roll that guard unless the alignment cures that (unlikely). The new tyres are 245/40 instead of 235/40 so always knew there was a chance of that happening, and I'm assuming it's my fat butt on the drivers side causing the scrubbing as the left side is fine.

Got home this morning and after washing the grime off it decided to have a look at the fog light problem - they randomly turn themselves off. Looks very much like it’s the relay in the frunk. Are these available from Toyota? If so I'll wait till my membership card turns up and use the discount, otherwise seen a few on Ebay and other Toyota relay/fuse box on TM that seems to have the same relay.
WP_20160821_13_53_03_Rich.jpg
WP_20160821_13_53_03_Rich.jpg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
Also discovered the left front sidelight bulb was out so replaced that with one i had around the place here.

In the process of that, thought I'd take the fog screws out and replace them as a couple looked a bit average, all 4 were different!
WP_20160821_12_23_00_Rich.jpg
WP_20160821_12_23_00_Rich.jpg (168.92 KiB) Viewed 2633 times

Then discovered that my drivers side foglight is a turning one, but not the left one. Which i guess means it's been replaced at some stage. Anyone out there with a left "turn" fog - or a pair they want to sell?
right.jpg
left.jpg
And yes, my front bumper is a bit average... anyone know what (if anything) is special about this lip? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 998735.htm

So i guess 2 steps forward, 1 back… but progress!
Attachments
WP_20160821_09_33_06_Rich.jpg

brd
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by brd »

Oh, and anyone who has Roadstone tyres on any vehicle... get rid of them! Had about 4 cracks like this around the sidewall of mine. Apparently VERY common on these.
Attachments
WP_20160819_11_08_41_Rich.jpg
WP_20160819_11_08_41_Rich.jpg (325.39 KiB) Viewed 2628 times