Joels MR2s

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Re: Joels MR2s

Post by Statek »

Joel wrote:
TNR wrote:Nice cars, they all seem very nice. The MR-S with Rota Grids looks amazing, it seems super agile and fun just sitting still.

By the way, do you remember what lowering springs you put on your 2nd AW with the 15" wheels, and would you recommend them?
I'm looking for a set of springs for better handling but don't want a slammed look, just a moderate drop.
From memory I am pretty sure they were Cobra Springs (http://cobrasprings.co.nz/catalogue/toyota/mr-2/2595) There is a dealer on TradeMe that sells them.
I can only compare them to stock. They were ok, they're on the budget end of the scale so you can definitely get better ones.
I also put Cobra springs on my car (prior to my current coilovers) but was surprised that the car height didn't change, but the ride was firmer. This was probably due to the OE springs sagging as they had done around 230,000km :wink:
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: TNR

Post by TNR »

Statek wrote:
Joel wrote:
TNR wrote:Nice cars, they all seem very nice. The MR-S with Rota Grids looks amazing, it seems super agile and fun just sitting still.

By the way, do you remember what lowering springs you put on your 2nd AW with the 15" wheels, and would you recommend them?
I'm looking for a set of springs for better handling but don't want a slammed look, just a moderate drop.
From memory I am pretty sure they were Cobra Springs (http://cobrasprings.co.nz/catalogue/toyota/mr-2/2595) There is a dealer on TradeMe that sells them.
I can only compare them to stock. They were ok, they're on the budget end of the scale so you can definitely get better ones.
I also put Cobra springs on my car (prior to my current coilovers) but was surprised that the car height didn't change, but the ride was firmer. This was probably due to the OE springs sagging as they had done around 230,000km :wink:
Cool thanks for the tips both of you. Good things to consider.

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Joel

Post by Joel »

Statek wrote: I also put Cobra springs on my car (prior to my current coilovers) but was surprised that the car height didn't change, but the ride was firmer. This was probably due to the OE springs sagging as they had done around 230,000km :wink:
I think they might have 2 different sets of springs, one that maintains factory height and one that is lower.
There are two product codes there:
Front Low CTFL-54
Front Standard CTFS-54

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Joel wrote:
Statek wrote: I also put Cobra springs on my car (prior to my current coilovers) but was surprised that the car height didn't change, but the ride was firmer. This was probably due to the OE springs sagging as they had done around 230,000km :wink:
I think they might have 2 different sets of springs, one that maintains factory height and one that is lower.
There are two product codes there:
Front Low CTFL-54
Front Standard CTFS-54
While I don't remember the part number and I don't have pictures, I ordered these from Autolign Mt Wellington and was told these were a 30mm drop - so probably the CTFL-54 and CTFR-55
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

Scored a nice new garage ornament from work - going to fix it to the wall soon.

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

I don't see a 2ZZ in there.

WHERE YOU AT?!

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

EssDub wrote:I don't see a 2ZZ in there.

WHERE YOU AT?!
You're handy with the MR-S - come install one for me :)

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Well i've already had requests from another Aucklander to fix his stuff, so find me half a Celica and we'll talk :P

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

Don't need a stereo or cupholders so I made a custom aluminium centre console shroud.
Attachments
IMG_6804.JPG
IMG_6804.JPG (598.9 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
IMG_6792.JPG
IMG_6792.JPG (569.81 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
IMG_6794.JPG
IMG_6794.JPG (578.25 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
IMG_6798.JPG
IMG_6798.JPG (397.05 KiB) Viewed 1929 times