First MR2 - Widebody 3VZ SW

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Justin

Re: My first MR2

Post by Gleshlich »

mknz wrote:
Gleshlich wrote:Have noticed my coolant slowly declining in level over the past month
Check the back end of the fuel tank, often the coolant leaks where the heater pipes have the mounts
Is that what they call the hose to hell?
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

The heater pipe is called the 'Pipe from Hell' as it's a pipe. Solid = Pipe, Rubber = Hose normally.

Hose from Hell 'HFH' is one of the oil cooler hoses under the turbo and Hose from Hell on Earth 'HFHOE' is the one under the water pump on a turbo engine. They get this name because how hard they are to replace with the engine in the car. Not applicable to your car being a V6.

If you have the leak where mknz says you most likely need to drop your fuel tank which can be difficult. I've done it on my own car to fix this problem, while annoying it wasn't too bad. Yours being an early car it could be this.

It could be anywhere else in the system too. Check for any coolant under the car when parked. If you don't see any maybe run the engine up to temperature while leaving it parked and check. Sometimes leaks can close when you shut the engine off hiding from you when you park up but leaking while you drive. You could also try a pressure tester to see if the system is holding pressure while cold.

Might pay to try get your coolant temperature gauge working to see if it's having issues. For some reason the V6 coolant sensor circuit isn't as simple as the 3S setup so not sure why your one isn't working based on the info you have given in other thread.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Still completely baffled on the temp gauge issue. Only thing I haven't tried is a new gauge cluster which could be expensive.

Could this be a headgasket problem even though the oil looks normal? Could also explain why the cars been struggling on cold start (potentially coolant seeping past the rings?)

Have new plugs coming in and will get a compression test done when installing those. Don't want to take the intake manifold off too many times.
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Gleshlich wrote:Could this be a headgasket problem even though the oil looks normal? Could also explain why the cars been struggling on cold start (potentially coolant seeping past the rings?)
Possible but less likely, I'd rather drop the fuel tank than pull the heads off. Also the coolant normally strips the black paint off the fuel tank too

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Gleshlich wrote:Still completely baffled on the temp gauge issue. Only thing I haven't tried is a new gauge cluster which could be expensive.

Could this be a headgasket problem even though the oil looks normal? Could also explain why the cars been struggling on cold start (potentially coolant seeping past the rings?)

Have new plugs coming in and will get a compression test done when installing those. Don't want to take the intake manifold off too many times.
Gauge cluster or just the temp gauge itself should be easy to find cheap. There are heaps around. Just find someone wrecking any SW20, doesn't have to be turbo if you are just looking for the gauge.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

One cylinder isn't firing. Sigh....
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Gleshlich wrote:One cylinder isn't firing. Sigh....
Ignition leads? Spark plugs? Dizzy?
They could be the culprits.

Edit: Changed Coil to dizzy. Mixed the two up.
Last edited by 4CylinderSpecial on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

That's better than a blown HG. Have you changed the dizzy cap & rotor? MR2's seem to eat these up.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

This was after changing the plugs. It was running worse before.

Have isolated the cylinder and I'll swap a lead over from the camry and see if it fixes things.

Did a compression test while the intake manifold was off and all 6 read between 160 and 180
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Benckj wrote:Have you changed the dizzy cap & rotor?
+1
Had to do that myself recently.

I also had an issue with the tiny filters that are inside the injectors being blocked thanks to the car sitting too long and the fuel drying out leaving a varnish residue. That was a fun thing to get to the bottom of...
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

mickeyduck wrote:
Benckj wrote:Have you changed the dizzy cap & rotor?
+1
Had to do that myself recently.

I also had an issue with the tiny filters that are inside the injectors being blocked thanks to the car sitting too long and the fuel drying out leaving a varnish residue. That was a fun thing to get to the bottom of...
Will give that a go when I'm free next.
Is there any explanation as to why the miss has gotten louder after new plugs have been put in? Swapped some ngk plugs for factory densos
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Perhaps one of the leads has degraded more from being moved? (from putting in new plugs maybe?). I've seen a similar problem where a lead was intermittently connecting and disconnecting, and causing loss and surges in acceleration. It was fun though, put your foot down and it would bog, then it would spring into life a second or two later. This was on a little 1331cc 4 cylinder engine.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

New distributor cap and rotor. New leads, new plugs. All genuine Toyota parts. Problem still persists.
Clogged up injectors? Old plugs showed that the guilty cylinder was running a bit lean. Fuel filter picked up today and awaiting injectors.
Hopefully fixes all the problems.

New pic hehe. Don't worry. I put a layer of plastic film onto the boot before placing bolts and tools onto it
Attachments
2016-10-19 11.23.31.jpg
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Misfire fixed.

Powerband is still very weird. At wide open throttle, there is no torque until 4500rpm. The best way to explain it is like its a big turbo hitting boost. Any suggestions as to what it could be?
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Benckj wrote:Sounds like turbo isn't spooling up which can be due to exhaust leak or partially open wastegate.
It's 3VZ :D

Probably should change the title of this thread
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring