First MR2 - Widebody 3VZ SW

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Justin

Re: First MR2 - Widebody 3VZ SW

Post by Gleshlich »

Redline wrote:I had the wing supplied and fitted by "Onshaw Kustoms" when I had the car. They did an average job and I believe it was leftover stock intended for a S14.

Yea I have found it to be a S14 FACELIFT style. I like the look of it but the fitting was absolutely horrendous. I thought it was a driveway job.

Plan is to fit a aluminium plate in the spoiler and fill in with expanding foam. Then I'll cut down the mount points so it sits a bit more flush with the bootlid. Will be using urethane instead of silicone
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Dropped the car off at Megasquirt Tauranga for ECU and tune. Got a little lost along the way and took a scenic route. Ended up being faster due to less traffic
Attachments
20170121_121147.jpg
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I've heard lots of good things about Jared and MS tuning. I'm interested in what model MS he installs and if knock control is used.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Haven't got the complete details from Jared but the work is pretty much finished.

Torque Before and after
Torque Before and after
Last edited by Gleshlich on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Great!!!. Always nice to see the dyno sheets. Thanks for sharing them. The real test is in the driving. How does it feel?

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Jared mentioned it drove like a completely different car.

Won't get to tell until I'm back from holiday. It was horrible before in that flat spot. I found myself constantly revving the thing out even around town
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

chief1eye wrote:Great!!!. Always nice to see the dyno sheets. Thanks for sharing them. The real test is in the driving. How does it feel?
My thoughts as well
no need to rev passed 6000rpm tops
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Well that's a huge improvement. No longer do you have massive dips in torque lower down. Still small drops but it's far more smooth. It's going to be much more responsive for street driving and it will be faster.

You've gained about 10hp and 20 torques as Clarkson would say. That's good for top end however you have gained 40 torques approx between 2400 and 3600. This is where you'll feel it the most.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

GDII wrote:Well that's a huge improvement. No longer do you have massive dips in torque lower down. Still small drops but it's far more smooth. It's going to be much more responsive for street driving and it will be faster.

You've gained about 10hp and 20 torques as Clarkson would say. That's good for top end however you have gained 40 torques approx between 2400 and 3600. This is where you'll feel it the most.
There's about a 50 torques difference at one point. That is ft lbs too and not NM. Works out to be around 70NM
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

That stock torque curve is surprisingly bad, did you get any air/fuel graphs? Is there a known problem with the 3vz going into some sort of limp mode when transplanted? Or were you aware of any faults that would've made it run so poorly before?

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

I'm also surprised at the difference. Wasn't that engine fully rebuilt at some stage in its life?

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Malcolm wrote:That stock torque curve is surprisingly bad, did you get any air/fuel graphs? Is there a known problem with the 3vz going into some sort of limp mode when transplanted? Or were you aware of any faults that would've made it run so poorly before?

I diagnosed it to be a faulty knock sensor and/or ECU. It would pull timing randomly in different spots but would never be consistent. I was able to hear the VTEC style crossover at around 5k RPM when the timing went back to normal. I had already decided to run an aftermarket ECU due to the headwork that had been done so never bothered to fix it; especially since it involved taking the throttlend, intake manifold and plenum off

Engine was rebuilt just months before I bought the car. Has been like that during my ownership.
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Anthony

Post by blown »

this makes me want to get a MS with my 3vz too :D is your motor still running the AFM? i leaned mine out and it made a huge difference felt like it really woke the engine up especially after changing to the turbo box which made it slower. i also messed around with my acis unit, bypassed vacuum canister by attaching the acis actuator directly to one of the thorttlebody ports. this gets rid of that vtec kick at 4400 rpm and from memory allows the acis to work from lower rpm range.
20170212_162338.jpg
Anthony

1990 Mr2 sw20 V6 3VZ-FE swapped
Sold: 1989 Aw11 Hard top S/C Auto -> Manual conversion.

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

The entire tract from air filter to throttle body has been replaced.

I spent many weeks playing with the ACIS flap, different vacuum plumbing and the afm. In the end I picked up a cheap megasquirt with 3vz sw20 setup and got Jared to sort it out for me.

If you're interested, he's happy to answer any questions you have. Just flick him an email and go from there
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Anthony

Post by blown »

Gleshlich wrote:The entire tract from air filter to throttle body has been replaced.

I spent many weeks playing with the ACIS flap, different vacuum plumbing and the afm. In the end I picked up a cheap megasquirt with 3vz sw20 setup and got Jared to sort it out for me.

If you're interested, he's happy to answer any questions you have. Just flick him an email and go from there
I have talked to him in the past about it. Price was quite reasonable too. Tuning can come later gotta get the car legal first. I like the idea of losing the afm though. :mrgreen:
Anthony

1990 Mr2 sw20 V6 3VZ-FE swapped
Sold: 1989 Aw11 Hard top S/C Auto -> Manual conversion.