1990 MR2 2GR-FE project.

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
New2Mr2
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Geoff

1990 MR2 2GR-FE project.

Post by New2Mr2 »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum, firstly thanks to Mickeyduck for helping me navigate this forum and post up my project in the right place. Ive had an obsession with MR2s for a while now and have always wanted to see what the hype was about with this 2GRFE swap.

Recently I purchased a sick (Blown head gasket) 3sgte 1990 mr2 and started stripping it ready to do prep it for an engine (Was either going to go with a beams engine and use as daily or v6 if one popped up any time soon). I was lucky to pick up a 2grfe from wellington and have it delivered to Auckland so now I have the car and engine, I just need the bits that make it all work.

I have a basic understanding of whats needed to do the swap after looking up different threads online for swaps and different companies offering kits, I would love to know what the NewZealand owners have done and what worked for them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping I can get this girl up and running by December so I can enjoy whats left of summer and hopefully come out for a cruise! Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 11.37.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 11.37.06 AM.png (740.82 KiB) Viewed 3459 times

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Re: 1990 MR2 2GR-FE project.

Post by Alsw20 »

There is an entire build thread on Toyspeed with what the owner of the first 2GR MR2 in New Zealand did six years ago.

http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic ... &hilit=MR2

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Look forward to following your thread. Should be an interesting project.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

Hey! I saw this on Facebook. Good luck with the build. I'm hoping to do my own conversion one day.

New2Mr2
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by New2Mr2 »

Alsw20 wrote:There is an entire build thread on Toyspeed with what the owner of the first 2GR MR2 in New Zealand did six years ago.

I cant access this without registering, Ill look into this. Im looking for any recent conversions because I know the technology has advanced in regards to ECUs and what-not. I will definitely check this out though, thanks mate!

New2Mr2
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by New2Mr2 »

Benckj wrote:Look forward to following your thread. Should be an interesting project.
Cheers, watch this space!

New2Mr2
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by New2Mr2 »

DravidDavid wrote:Hey! I saw this on Facebook. Good luck with the build. I'm hoping to do my own conversion one day.
Thanks bro, will keep costs and what-not so you can see what you would need to invest!

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

New2Mr2 wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:There is an entire build thread on Toyspeed with what the owner of the first 2GR MR2 in New Zealand did six years ago.

I cant access this without registering, Ill look into this. Im looking for any recent conversions because I know the technology has advanced in regards to ECUs and what-not. I will definitely check this out though, thanks mate!
It's worth the read. Lots of photos and good descriptions. This is mostly custom but as you mentioned before there are mount kits you can buy.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Dylan

Post by Zimmo »

Awesome another 2GR-FE build, if you haven't already purchased Gouky headers and want my ones then PM me as I no longer need due to going turbo on my build.

The swap is not super complex but gets expensive if you go aftermarket ecu and turbo etc..

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

New2Mr2
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by New2Mr2 »

Zimmo wrote:Awesome another 2GR-FE build, if you haven't already purchased Gouky headers and want my ones then PM me as I no longer need due to going turbo on my build.

The swap is not super complex but gets expensive if you go aftermarket ecu and turbo etc..

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Hey bro we definitely pm you about those headers, you must be the guy from trademe! Awesome ill be in touch!

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Dylan

Post by Zimmo »

Yes the guy from trademe, however I didn't extend the auction as I moved to PNG.