Levi's 1996 GT-S

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: Levi's 1996 GT-S

Post by mickeyduck »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:I also picked up some Sparco NSII Crimsons, 17x8 and 9 and +32 and +38 offset.
I resprayed the wheels and slapped on some Potenzas. Amazing how well they handle. Took advantage of the 4 for 3 offer that Bridgestone had.
Good man. Nice! :D
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Finished putting in my trd springs today. Handles great when paired with potenzas! My two front struts had generous amounts of loctite on them, meaning I had to borrow a rattle gun with triple the torque compared to my air one.
image.jpeg

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

Looks great on the trds. Nice work :).
Lol @ loctite. Wasn't me!

We only just bought a replacement car. R32 MK5...not really the price downgrade I had hoped for.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That does look good. Wheels and tire fill out the guards well. What size tyres are they?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

MoNk wrote:Looks great on the trds. Nice work :).
Lol @ loctite. Wasn't me!

We only just bought a replacement car. R32 MK5...not really the price downgrade I had hoped for.
Reading through the service history, I think it was the previous previous owner when they got new front strut inserts. or maybe bad luck :lol:
Fantastic choice in car though! It's basically the only modern VW I'd own honestly.
GDII wrote:That does look good. Wheels and tire fill out the guards well. What size tyres are they?
The fronts are 215/40/17, rears 245/40/17. No rubbing issues or anything like that. It certainly modernises the car a fair bit. I'm now back to looking for potholes and speed bumps again now :D

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

they look awesome.

I think they'd look fawesome (effing awesome) with some neo-chrome wheel nuts though :wink:

I'm impressed with your quick progress!
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Swampy wrote:they look awesome.

I think they'd look fawesome (effing awesome) with some neo-chrome wheel nuts though :wink:

I'm impressed with your quick progress!
From the price of just the chrome nuts, I think I'll be happy with those for now :lol:
I'm just rushing to get things done before I run out of money generally. My next upgrade will be the sway bar end links. they looked pretty stuffed when I was taking the struts apart.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Today I set out to get rid of the annoying clutch pedal squeak that seems to come from the front of the car. Searches on the net lead me to believe that it was possibly the pin and bush on the clutch pedal. It seems that as the bush wears, it allows the pin to contact the pedal and create a squeaking noise.
Heres the old pin and bush vs new:
IMG_7231.jpeg
And the scraped up old pin
IMG_7232.jpeg
In the end, it made no difference. Luckily it wasn't expensive ($15 - forget to get my discount from toyota :oops: ) but now i'm still trying to figure out what is making the noise. Sometimes it'll go away, but it seems random more than anything.

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Probably the spring on the clutch pedal. Disconnect it and see if it still happens. Had the same thing in a Fiat years ago. Don't know how to fix it but maybe filling the inside of the spring with a lump of closed cell foam or something like that might do it.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Could be the contact points on the clutch slave, clutch fork and clutch bearing. When I replaced my clutch I greased them like the BGB says and the sound went away. But that involves removing the engine....

People replace the slave clevis with a bearing to stop the wear issue and and squeaking.
https://twosrus.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id=948
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Although I didn't have the dreaded clutch petal sqweek decided to install billet clevis with roller bearing made by CRW. It wasn't a simple process to pull petal , drill hole for bearing and re-install.

Petal now feels much more smooth and silent. Clevis also allows more adjustment which can be a benefit.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Benckj wrote:Although I didn't have the dreaded clutch petal sqweek decided to install billet clevis with roller bearing made by CRW. It wasn't a simple process to pull petal , drill hole for bearing and re-install.

Petal now feels much more smooth and silent. Clevis also allows more adjustment which can be a benefit.
Probably my favourite post so far. Petals are on flowers, not on cars :D .
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Replaced the pedal with a petal to keep the bees knees happy in the cab.....
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote:Could be the contact points on the clutch slave, clutch fork and clutch bearing. When I replaced my clutch I greased them like the BGB says and the sound went away. But that involves removing the engine....

People replace the slave clevis with a bearing to stop the wear issue and and squeaking.
https://twosrus.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id=948
What I found is when the squeaking went away I could hear a very quiet one in the engine bay that is probably the clutch components — but this one is LOUD and you can feel it through the pedal.
85AW20v wrote:Probably the spring on the clutch pedal. Disconnect it and see if it still happens. Had the same thing in a Fiat years ago. Don't know how to fix it but maybe filling the inside of the spring with a lump of closed cell foam or something like that might do it.
It could well be this for all I know... next time I manage to squeeze into the footwell I'll see if that will help at all.
Benckj wrote:Although I didn't have the dreaded clutch petal sqweek decided to install billet clevis with roller bearing made by CRW. It wasn't a simple process to pull petal , drill hole for bearing and re-install.

If I can't figure out the problem, I might go for this. But I can't imagine it being the clevis pin against the clevis if It's brand new?

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Replacing clevis pin won't solve the noise problem if bush is not replaced and lubricated. The Billet clevis mod replaced bush with roller bearing.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car