Levi's 1996 GT-S

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Levi's 1996 GT-S

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:
GDII wrote: It should be easier if they are all greased up with lots of grease. They don't bind up like the OEM stuff due to the sleeve not being molded into the rubber and not having any teeth on the sleeve to bite into the chassis mounts.
I used up all the grease, so should be enough hopefully! It probably felt harder because I was trying to lift up, pushing down on it was pretty easy. Remains to be seen but thought that was something to note.
Fair enough. Some of the bushes might be stiffer in compression when actually compressing the material rather than friction force against things. Unlike spherical bearings they don't have '100%' free movement when you have a triangulated suspension setup.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

GDII wrote:
4CylinderSpecial wrote:
GDII wrote: It should be easier if they are all greased up with lots of grease. They don't bind up like the OEM stuff due to the sleeve not being molded into the rubber and not having any teeth on the sleeve to bite into the chassis mounts.
I used up all the grease, so should be enough hopefully! It probably felt harder because I was trying to lift up, pushing down on it was pretty easy. Remains to be seen but thought that was something to note.
Fair enough. Some of the bushes might be stiffer in compression when actually compressing the material rather than friction force against things. Unlike spherical bearings they don't have '100%' free movement when you have a triangulated suspension setup.
That's what I figure. Spherical would be cool but a little too hardcore for anything that this car will go through. Now the only things I need till the suspension is refreshed is coilovers or replacing the rear struts. I might just go coilovers.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

And here's a little picture for prosperity. Really excited to take this out for a drive this weekend if weather stays mint.
Unknown-2.jpeg

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Looking good!!
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Dylan

Post by Zimmo »

Looking really good!!

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Finished my polyurethane bushing install and got the car aligned. Feels so good and tight. Really impressed. Going to look at replacing rear shocks soon as they are a bit weaker than the new bilstein fronts. Maybe looking at coilovers but still on the fence. Here's a rare shot of the mr2 outside. Notice all the dust on it :oops:
IMG_20181006_122306.jpg

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Purchased some Denso 800cc Side Feed injectors to go into my stock fuel rail. Will adjust lag and size corrections when I put them in the car. Then I probably need to upgrade the fuel pump to a walbro or similar and take it to get tuned. Or can I do fuel pump after tune? It's the one thing I dread doing on this car.

GDII

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Purchased some Denso 800cc Side Feed injectors to go into my stock fuel rail. Will adjust lag and size corrections when I put them in the car. Then I probably need to upgrade the fuel pump to a walbro or similar and take it to get tuned. Or can I do fuel pump after tune? It's the one thing I dread doing on this car.
Best get it tuned after the injector and fuel pump change. Injectors all run different even if you tell the ECU how big they are. And the fuel pump will affect the pressure changing fueling too. I don't see an adjustable regulator in your engine bay so wouldn't want to do that swap without a tune.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote:
4CylinderSpecial wrote:Purchased some Denso 800cc Side Feed injectors to go into my stock fuel rail. Will adjust lag and size corrections when I put them in the car. Then I probably need to upgrade the fuel pump to a walbro or similar and take it to get tuned. Or can I do fuel pump after tune? It's the one thing I dread doing on this car.
Best get it tuned after the injector and fuel pump change. Injectors all run different even if you tell the ECU how big they are. And the fuel pump will affect the pressure changing fueling too. I don't see an adjustable regulator in your engine bay so wouldn't want to do that swap without a tune.
True, The injectors have been rebuilt and flow matched so not too concerned there. But agree that it will need a tune etc. Is the FPR necessary with a walboro pump? Thought the one on the stock rail would do an okay job.

GDII

Post by GDII »

The stock one will be fine but I'm still concerned about the injectors and the actual flow rate. Good they are matched but the dwell time or actual flow rate might differ a bit to what the spec says. Can you do individual cylinder fuel trim with the PFC? Not sure how that new intake manifold feeds air to the cylinders vs the stock one. We all know the stock one runs lean on 2 and 3 but what about this new one?

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote:The stock one will be fine but I'm still concerned about the injectors and the actual flow rate. Good they are matched but the dwell time or actual flow rate might differ a bit to what the spec says. Can you do individual cylinder fuel trim with the PFC? Not sure how that new intake manifold feeds air to the cylinders vs the stock one. We all know the stock one runs lean on 2 and 3 but what about this new one?
I can do individual cylinder fuel trim on the PFC so no problem there. From what I was reading about the KU intake it distributes air pretty evenly and is an improvement over stock. I always thought the 2-3 lean cylinder issue was on the gen 2 manifolds and the gen 3 was a fair bit better to start with?

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Recently installed new thermostat, new hoses supplied by Mr2Heaven in the states and painted up the waterneck and thermostat neck. Also installed my new catch can as the OEM one had some cracks in it and was sucking moisture in as it cooled. New one has baffles, a 50 micon filter and steel wool so not worried about it venting to atmosphere. I round a hose from repco that would fit the bung on the valve cover and the catch can nipple without any adaptors. I think its around 22mm to 14mm if anyone is wondering. This actually has less of a restriction than the factory system and am glad to say that after driving it under boost as much as i can for about 80km there's no oil in the can and no residue around the filter.
IMG_20181117_191300.jpg

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

I've made a new decision with the direction of this car, and am wanting to keep it pretty OEM-ish with mods where it needs, rather than me chucking on random parts for the hell of it. Honestly can say that I haven't had a direction with the car before so am happy now. Am just wanting a great handling car with decent power and good response. The KU Engineering intake manifold had an 80mm throttle body on it which meant that I had a bit less response from the engine - it is something that is probably more suited to being on a big power mr2 and not one with stock turbo and internals. So I've taken it off and put back on the stock intake manifold (after a fresh coat of paint - yay!)

If anyone wants the manifold and TB pm me and we can chat. Will suit a Gen3+ (I think at least to the Gen 5 3sgte - someone can probably correct me :D )

Went to start it up and I think I've missed a vacuum line as the car won't idle and will just die if i'm not giving it some gas. Going to investigate today but it's probably something silly.
IMG_20190103_194944.jpg

GDII

Post by GDII »

If you think it is vacuum related check all the hoses

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote:If you think it is vacuum related check all the hoses

Turns out i needed to let the power fc relearn the idle and now it works perfectly. Took it out for a test drive and am happy to say i like the OEM better. Yay!