Levi's 1996 GT-S

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Levi

Re: Levi's 1996 GT-S

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

So I ended up getting the Work Equip Anehlos. For anyone who doesn't know their background, they came from Work's equip line from the late eighties to late nineties, so truly period correct wheels. They are almost identical to Work Meister 3pc wheels, but the meisters are concave around the bolt holes, while the Equips aren't. I gave them a really quick test fit and have to say that even white doesn't look too shabby. But I think a silver is going to look more classic. Wheels are basically flush, with the rears having a small amount of poke.
IMG_20190518_140915.jpg
IMG_20190518_140923.jpg
IMG_20190518_140931.jpg
IMG_20190518_142912.jpg
IMG_20190518_142921.jpg
IMG_20190518_142932.jpg
Next steps are to get the right socket for the front of the bolts (it's some star type bolt head) and split the wheel apart. Glad to finally get these wheels as they were what I wanted a few years back. I think they do look better in person rather than camera though. Something about the camera picking up how the edge of the spoke meets the barrel is accentuated which makes them not look as good. In real life you don't really pick that up.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Sweet wheels! The white looks so good but silver could look a little more subtle. Great choice, I'm glad you found something you really wanted rather than settling for something else.

The rears seem to stick out as much as mine but the fronts stick out quite a bit more. Should still be OK as 215 have a fair amount of stretch on an 8" wheel.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote:Sweet wheels! The white looks so good but silver could look a little more subtle. Great choice, I'm glad you found something you really wanted rather than settling for something else.

The rears seem to stick out as much as mine but the fronts stick out quite a bit more. Should still be OK as 215 have a fair amount of stretch on an 8" wheel.
Yeah I'm actually surprised at how nicely the white suits. But I think the silver might be a bit more timeless. I went with my gut and decided I'd get the ones I should've in the first place.

I think the reason is that I lowered the front more than the rear, the fronts are around 36 so I think once the car actually has its full weight on the wheels the rear should stick out slightly more. But we will see!

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Nice good to see your build still going strong
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

well, i couldn't bear polishing and splitting the wheels myself, I just wanted a job that I could look at and love every time. Took it down to the guys at Wheel Repair Services in New Lynn, and they did all the refurb work for me. Have to say that they came out stunning! Love them on the mr2. If it's nice out tomorrow I might give the poor girl a wash and go do a little photo shoot :D

Now my biggest problem will be keeping them clean and nice :lol:
Here's some pictures below:
IMG_20190608_115039.jpg
IMG_20190608_140704.jpg
IMG_20190608_144956.jpg
IMG_20190608_145009.jpg
IMG_20190608_152949.jpg

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Gave the car a good wash and took it out for some photos. Need to figure out good places to go and shoot, same with angles etc :lol:
IMG_20190609_145221.jpg
IMG_20190609_152701.jpg

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Paul

Post by thorns »

Wheels look great!
1990 SW20 Turbo, Previously 1991 Green SW20 Turbo basket case

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

thorns wrote:Wheels look great!
Agree with that! Also, looking at the road, no LSD in this one...... :mrgreen:
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

thorns wrote:Wheels look great!
85AW20v wrote:Agree with that! Also, looking at the road, no LSD in this one...... :mrgreen:
Thanks guys! Not my marks, but definitely have a viscous in there :twisted:

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Cornwallis or any nice beach out west, or if you fancy a drive across the water try the Manukau heads. Plenty of good scenery there, just have to pick a day it's not raining.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Swampy wrote:Cornwallis or any nice beach out west, or if you fancy a drive across the water try the Manukau heads. Plenty of good scenery there, just have to pick a day it's not raining.
Thanks for the tips! I've read some forums where people have mentioned places like the Museum too. Might have to have a little look around.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Small updates! Have had my rear bumper and side mirrors resprayed as they had some clear failing. The bumper was the worst as I think the flexing caused the clear to fail and whiten. Car looks stunning again! Shame that I haven't been able to take it out due to all this rain.

I've also decided to switch from my Power FC computer back to the stock one for the time being. I intended to get the PFC tuned in a few months but reading through lots of old forums it seems that with all the bolt ons I have (exhaust, intake, intercooler, boost controller) there isn't too much to gain from getting the PFC mapped compared to just running 17 psi on the stock computer. Considering a tune will cost 1k+ and I'm likely to only get 15whp from the map that seems a bit too much.

Idea is that I will instead save up and use this money to get a bigger turbo. The offerings from KO racing seem to be good and high quality. Reports seem to be that running a bigger turbo and keeping the boost reasonable means you stay under the 330-340whp threshold and therefore don't need to upgrade fuel system. I do have water/meth injection for safety and will configure that to spray at about 13psi+ (stock ecu will run rich af but this helps keep cylinder 2+3 happy)

Going to do a bit more reading but interested to hear if anyone has gone this route before.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Wonder if you have an O2 wideband to confirm AFR's under boost. This is the part which will get you as running those sort of levels can lean out fuel very quickly. The WI is a great safety measure as long as its fail safe otherwise, it can lead to a short engine life. What sort of fuel you running?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Benckj wrote:Wonder if you have an O2 wideband to confirm AFR's under boost. This is the part which will get you as running those sort of levels can lean out fuel very quickly. The WI is a great safety measure as long as its fail safe otherwise, it can lead to a short engine life. What sort of fuel you running?
I do have a wideband so would keep an eye on the afrs as I progressively increase boost. Will start at 14 and note as I go up in boost. Unfortunately I have a 'dumb' water meth setup, but eventually will install a flow switch. My EBC has an input trigger wire which allows it to cut boost down to a lower level which I will leverage if the W/M ever fails using the flow switch. I'm expecting the ECU to still be dumping fuel and being around 10:1 afrs even at 17 so it will probably be unnecessary anyways. I like the W/M for cooling air temps and keeping knock away.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

You might be interested I what I did for a low level of WI protection.

Installed a small 2 liter accumulator tank between the pressure pump (in frunk) and water supply line. On this tank I mounted 2 adjustable pressure switches and a manual gauge. The first pressure switch turns on a red LED in cab if level drops to 50psi. At this level I still have several boost sessions without risk of running out of water. The 2nd switch is used to turn pump off when level reaches 100psi. This is used to limit the amount of pressure stored in tank as its simply an alloy fuel surge tank. Manual gauge is used to set switch levels and monitor pressure within tank. It never falls below 50psi even after car sits for several weeks.

In addition, I have also installed in the cab a green LED to show me when WI is active as this is used to adjust spray and a small push button to turn on WI for testing.

All this sounds complicated & expensive but it isn't. Built the whole thing for under $70 and has worked without fail for several years. Although its not as good as using a flow switch these are generally expensive and problematic. It also does not give you enough warning so has to be plumbed into a control like your EBC.

Wish I could share pics and a diagram but nothing on file. Can knock up something if your interested.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods