Levi's 1996 GT-S

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: Levi's 1996 GT-S

Post by mickeyduck »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:
mickeyduck wrote:Ha ha yeah I kinda twigged just after asking the question... Sure had me scratching my head for a minute tho. :lol:
It's a Hi and Lo selector obviously Charlie :D
Just like my old '57 series 1 Landrover...! 8)
(was a fun vehicle)

Re the pics committing sideways - maybe you need to edit them (sharpen them for example) and save them?
My iPhone puts pics upside down if I don't. :lol:

So exactly what sub-species are the Toyo tyres? T1R?
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

MoNk wrote:Looking good levi 8)

You scratched the new number-plate already! ;)

You wouldn't believe how many bugs I managed to exterminate coming up! Must've added around 1kg to the car :lol:
mickeyduck wrote: Re the pics committing sideways - maybe you need to edit them (sharpen them for example) and save them?
My iPhone puts pics upside down if I don't. :lol:
Do you mean edit it using the photo app or using the gallery function here?
mickeyduck wrote: So exactly what sub-species are the Toyo tyres? T1R?
Toyo DRBs up front and Proxies 4 on the rear - 195 front and 225 rear. Good tread. I think the problem of finding T1Rs for this wheel is the main reason why they weren't on in the first place.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Still easy to get T1Rs in those sizes. Sometimes you have to wait for a new shipment but they still bring them in.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

GDII wrote:Still easy to get T1Rs in those sizes. Sometimes you have to wait for a new shipment but they still bring them in.
There was none in "NZ" (probably just the Sth Island) at the time. Quite a long wait to get them. T1Rs aren't much dearer - and I always loved them.

Most of my rubber purchases are done on failed WOFs :D

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Edit & save the pics on a computer before uploading them and see if it gets them right side up.

Yeah sometimes you need to wait for the right sizes of T1R to arrive in country but Toyo do still bring in a wide range of sizes :D and T1R work very well in my experience. Potenzas are a bit better again with slightly more wet grip and a lot less sidewall flex / much more direct steering response. But the sizes available for Potenzas are so limited now that they're almost impossible to get in the right sizes.

T1R on 15 inch rims work fine. We ran 205 front and 225 rear on Isaac's SW, worked very well. And I must say the T1R have exceptional straight line stopping power in the dry, and not bad in the wet. Plus they always seem to wear very evenly across the tread (possibly because of the extra sidewall flex compared to Potenzas?). Good tyres.

I'd recommend running the same kind of tyre front and back so they both have the same sidewall flex and tread squirm characteristics etc.. beats having a car that either understeers everywhere or loses the arse... As an extreme example I once had Potenzas on the front of an AW and wider lower profile T1R on the back. Scared the hell outta me trying to hammer it through the twisty back roads - the back end felt like wobbly mush because the T1R have more flex in the sidewall. But with T1R on both ends of an MR2 they balance each other up and it feels just fine.

Hey, just my ten cents'... :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

RH9
Guest of the Club.
First name: Andy

Post by RH9 »

Congratulations Levi, that's a very straight looking car! How was the drive up?

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

mickeyduck wrote: T1R on 15 inch rims work fine. We ran 205 front and 225 rear on Isaac's SW, worked very well. And I must say the T1R have exceptional straight line stopping power in the dry, and not bad in the wet. Plus they always seem to wear very evenly across the tread (possibly because of the extra sidewall flex compared to Potenzas?).
I agree Charlie, I'll grab matching T1Rs for my 2 to wear real soon – if I decide to get bigger wheels later on then I'll grab potenzas, I think it's the best way to go.

RH9 wrote:Congratulations Levi, that's a very straight looking car! How was the drive up?
Cheers andy! The drive up was damn good, these seats are actually surprisingly comfortable, only my foot got sore from the drive going up due to how it was sitting. Real happy with it. 8)

GDII

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:
mickeyduck wrote: T1R on 15 inch rims work fine. We ran 205 front and 225 rear on Isaac's SW, worked very well. And I must say the T1R have exceptional straight line stopping power in the dry, and not bad in the wet. Plus they always seem to wear very evenly across the tread (possibly because of the extra sidewall flex compared to Potenzas?).
I agree Charlie, I'll grab matching T1Rs for my 2 to wear real soon – if I decide to get bigger wheels later on then I'll grab potenzas, I think it's the best way to go.
T1Rs are great, been running them for at least 6 years on my 15s. Just soft sidewalls which are great for comfort but not for response.
Unfortunately at this point in time the RE003 doesn't come in the right sizes for 15s. You are fine for the front but not for the rear so not a viable option.
Your only choice is to go to a 16" or 17" wheel. Even then your rolling diameters won't be quite right but still better than incorrect widths for the 15".

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote: T1Rs are great, been running them for at least 6 years on my 15s. Just soft sidewalls which are great for comfort but not for response.
Unfortunately at this point in time the RE003 doesn't come in the right sizes for 15s. You are fine for the front but not for the rear so not a viable option.
Your only choice is to go to a 16" or 17" wheel. Even then your rolling diameters won't be quite right but still better than incorrect widths for the 15".
From what I've read, they're pretty good tyres, and they are pretty damn cheap too from the looks of it. Are there any other tyres besides Potenzas and T1Rs that are good on MR2s?

GDII

Post by GDII »

Proxes4 are the only other performance tire I have found in the correct 15" size. Anything else you ether can't get or doesn't exist. That's from my research on performance tires for the SW20.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

There's Proxes4 on my rear already, but I'm looking at just going T1R all around at the moment. I did some reading and consensus seems to point more to T1R rather than the 4.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Yip, I think the T1R is better but not having driven on the 4 I'm not too sure.
You can run 195/55R15 which is stock or 205/55R15 front and 225/50R15 which is stock for the GEN2+ rears.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote:Yip, I think the T1R is better but not having driven on the 4 I'm not too sure.
You can run 195/55R15 which is stock or 205/55R15 front and 225/50R15 which is stock for the GEN2+ rears.
Do you think it's worth getting the extra 10mm at the front? I've been thinking this myself, there's no difference in price but hey, it'd be interesting to know. Would there be more bias towards understeer with a tyre 30mm smaller than the rear?

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

I have had both. PX4 are quieter T1R more grippy and wear out quicker.
Not sure about sizes, I just liked keeping things stock at 15in.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

MoNk wrote:I have had both. PX4 are quieter T1R more grippy and wear out quicker.
Not sure about sizes, I just liked keeping things stock at 15in.
That would make sense, a much better ride too compared to T1R possibly. I might keep 195 at the front unless there is a real reason to go up to 205. Anyone have opinons regarding that?