Levi's 1996 GT-S

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: Levi's 1996 GT-S

Post by Alsw20 »

Yeah it can’t hurt upgrading to a billet wheel of the same size. However if the ct20b ain’t broke, don’t fix it?

IMO it’s the best stock fuel system turbo available for the SW20.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I know you can get upgraded compressor wheels that move more air for the same boost but what about the turbine wheel? Factory SW20 ones are ceramic and too much boost can make them break.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:I've decided to not run an ISCV so have to use the throttle to make it not stall when warming up.
Found your new ISCV :P
Supreme-Brick-Brick.jpg
In all seriousness looking good.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Thanks for the chat about the turbo guys. It is fine at the moment but I would like at least a steel turbine wheel for longevity.
mknz wrote:
4CylinderSpecial wrote:I've decided to not run an ISCV so have to use the throttle to make it not stall when warming up.
Found your new ISCV :P
Supreme-Brick-Brick.jpg
Hahaha a surpreme brick would look great in the mr2 right :wink: No ISCV is good for 'character'.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Thanks for the chat about the turbo guys. It is fine at the moment but I would like at least a steel turbine wheel for longevity.
mknz wrote: Found your new ISCV :P
Supreme-Brick-Brick.jpg
Hahaha a surpreme brick would look great in the mr2 right :wink: No ISCV is good for 'character'.
It's certainly an anti-theft device

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Decided not having an ISCV is annoying for a few reasons, like: having to hold the gas to warm up the car, idle dropping when lights etc turning on, and a jerky on/off type throttle. So i reinstalled the ISCV and hid it under the intake manifold. Much better. Now the car feels so much more drivable. Butt dyno feels that the midrange is a fair bit more powerful due to the new manifold/throttle body. Throttle is a bit stiffer than the OEM so makes starting from a stop and low throttle a bit different but overall I'm happy.

Really happy with how it's running. After I drop the engine to change all the seals/gearbox/clutch I will get this dyno tuned. Hoping for around 300-320whp which should be enough for the weight of the car. I have one more black joiner on the way then my engine bay will close to being complete (for now). I want to have a go at polishing my valve cover and seeing how that looks. Getting shiny.. picked up some autosol aluminium polish and that works so much better than the generic metal polish I was using before.

Mandatory engine bay pic:
IMG_9385.JPG

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Test fitted the TRD speedo. Looks really cool. Now to wind it forward so it actually has mileage on it :lol:
IMG_9436.JPG

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Looking very nice. Sexy bright lights too. Would you consider carbon fibre cluster surround?
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Tom

Post by tomnomnom »

What's going on with the 'E' light?

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

tomnomnom wrote:What's going on with the 'E' light?
It's like polarity has been reversed or something. It's lit when it should be dark and dark when it should be lit. I easily ignore it though.

Zimmo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Dylan

Post by Zimmo »

Love the V300 they are a tank but look good and have the mighty 2JZ.

You have one of the cleanest engine setups I've seen. So many amazing examples of MR2 around now.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Zimmo wrote:Love the V300 they are a tank but look good and have the mighty 2JZ.

You have one of the cleanest engine setups I've seen. So many amazing examples of MR2 around now.
Yeah it was a really good car. Great torque and really could get up to speed. Appreciate the compliment! You never are finished with cleaning things up. I've got a few more engine bay changes planned once my poly bushes are installed.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Finally have got the car back on the ground after replacing all the bushes. Gen 3 strut rod needs the metal sleeve cut of of it for the new bushing to fit. Battery is mysteriously completely flat, even though it is pretty new. Hoping i just accidentally left a door slightly open for a few days. Gonna charge and then check the draw off the battery.

All I need now is an alignment and then can see what the poly bushes feel like. Noticed it's much harder to move the suspension compared to rubber bushings.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Finally have got the car back on the ground after replacing all the bushes. Gen 3 strut rod needs the metal sleeve cut of of it for the new bushing to fit. Battery is mysteriously completely flat, even though it is pretty new. Hoping i just accidentally left a door slightly open for a few days. Gonna charge and then check the draw off the battery.

All I need now is an alignment and then can see what the poly bushes feel like. Noticed it's much harder to move the suspension compared to rubber bushings.
It should be easier if they are all greased up with lots of grease. They don't bind up like the OEM stuff due to the sleeve not being molded into the rubber and not having any teeth on the sleeve to bite into the chassis mounts.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

GDII wrote: It should be easier if they are all greased up with lots of grease. They don't bind up like the OEM stuff due to the sleeve not being molded into the rubber and not having any teeth on the sleeve to bite into the chassis mounts.
I used up all the grease, so should be enough hopefully! It probably felt harder because I was trying to lift up, pushing down on it was pretty easy. Remains to be seen but thought that was something to note.