Levi's 1996 GT-S

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Levi

Re: Levi's 1996 GT-S

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Picked up a V8 Soarer yesterday. Really impressed with the ride and the difference between the v8 and boosted cars. Low down torque with no spool is cool.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Picked up some cool parts today which are quite rare and usually very $$$.
A NEW!!!! TRD 300kmh speedo and a new unused JUN/KU engineering Intake manifold. Really excited to get these in the car.
IMG_9300.JPG
IMG_9301.JPG
IMG_9302.JPG
IMG_9303.JPG
IMG_9304.JPG
I have the stock manifold about to come off, but the right side of it is basically stuck on the alternator bracket that mounts to the block. Is there a diagram somewhere so that I can loosen the bracket? Also with the speedo, can you replace the odometer section or wind it forward to match the actual travelled distance of the car?

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Where on earth did you find the new TRD speedo? I thought they were gone off the shelves 10 years ago.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Benckj wrote:Where on earth did you find the new TRD speedo? I thought they were gone off the shelves 10 years ago.
Person I bought this stuff from picked it up new many years ago and didn't use it. So it still is new, just was bought new a long time ago.

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

Looking good Levi.

If you are desperate I used to see them on Yahoo.jp all the time.
Definitely not cheap though.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

MoNk wrote:Looking good Levi.

There are about 8 on YHJ right now but asking prices are well into 4 digits.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

MoNk wrote:Looking good Levi.

Thanks! I managed to pick this and the manifold up for a really cheap price. Only thing I need to research is what throttle body to put on.

mike_m
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Michael

Post by mike_m »

Pretty sure the JUN manifold is set up for a Q45 throttle body.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

mike_m wrote:Pretty sure the JUN manifold is set up for a Q45 throttle body.
I know the replicas do at least

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

mike_m wrote:Pretty sure the JUN manifold is set up for a Q45 throttle body.
mknz wrote: I know the replicas do at least
Thanks guys, Q45 it is. Anyone know any good places to get them besides ebay? Need a TPS and plug to splice into my stock harness too.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Bought my new throttle body. It's an 80mm one designed for an rb25. Fits on perfectly, just waiting for a TPS conversion kit to come hopefully tomorrow so i can run the mr2 tps. I had big troubles taking off the old manifold and fitting the new one because of the alternator bracket. the clearance between the I.M stud and the alternator makes it very difficult to get even nuts past it.
IMG_9312.JPG
I persevered and took off the stud which made fitting the new manifold simple. Here's a few pictures of the test fit, with injectors loosely installed too. I'll repaint the fuel rail before it goes back in the car for good.
IMG_9333.JPG
IMG_9332.JPG
IMG_9330.JPG
IMG_9326.JPG

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

TPS adapter came in. I'll do a little write up tonight of how to swap over. Should hopefully have the car running tomorrow or Sunday.
IMG_9335.JPG
IMG_9336.JPG
IMG_9337.JPG

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

So I've manged to install the throttle cable, and fab up a bracket to hold it. Took it for a test drive and the only problem was that a vacuum cap blew off. Seems to boost just as well or better. Peak knock count (around 24) stayed the same even at WOT. AFRs were good too. I've decided to not run an ISCV so have to use the throttle to make it not stall when warming up. Really liking the new look of it. Still need to polish it and do a few other little things up but happy with the result.

Looking for a power tune soon as I'm on the base power fc map. Hoping for around 320whp or close to it. We will see though.... I know it's kind of pushing it for that number but I do have a gen 3 with full boltons including a better intake manifold now. Only other thing I can upgrade is the turbo, which I likely will at some point.

I always love comparing from where the mr2 began, so here's a before and after:
IMG_1486.jpg
IMG_9367.JPG
IMG_9370 (1).jpg
P.S. I really hate those blue hoses. I am trying to change them but my closest shop (Scarles) never has black ones in stock. One day..

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

IMO don't upgrade the turbo. It's just not worth the hassle. 300+rwhp on a gen3 is loads on the street. IMO you either do bolt ons like you have, or you go all out and have a full rebuild with a 500hp turbo and all the ancillaries. There doesn't seem to be an in-between.

So many people, including on this board or former members of the club have decided that they need more power so they fit a different turbo to their mostly bolt on car, and it either lunches the engine or makes it really compromised.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Alsw20 wrote:IMO don't upgrade the turbo. It's just not worth the hassle. 300+rwhp on a gen3 is loads on the street. IMO you either do bolt ons like you have, or you go all out and have a full rebuild with a 500hp turbo and all the ancillaries. There doesn't seem to be an in-between.

So many people, including on this board or former members of the club have decided that they need more power so they fit a different turbo to their mostly bolt on car, and it either lunches the engine or makes it really compromised.
Thanks Al. I do agree with you there. We (me included) get caught up and think the stock bottom end can handle a bigger turbo. What I’ll do is get a good 300+whp and then get everything as tight as I can.

What’s your thoughts on upgrading to billet wheels for the stock ct20?