Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mo

Various

Post by lasersooby »

Picked OEM Ball Joints from Manawatu Toyota today, big ups to the Team there:
2021Feb10-Pix03.jpg
ECU Mounting Bracket & Bolts arrived from Frankenstein Motorworks:
2021Feb10-Pix02.jpg
Lower Intake Manifold will be packed up and sent to Elate Manufacturing in Australia who will 3D scan it then manufacture a plate intercooler. This will be part of the w2a intercooling system we will have on this car. The lower intake manifold on the supercharged 2GR is different to the NA 2GR hence the reason for sending this to Aussie (the supercharged lower intake manifolds are hard to come by).
2021Feb10-Pix01.jpg
2017 Toyota Aqua G's
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto) - SOLD
When the Wife Allows: 2020 TRD RAV4 Limited Hybrid
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Post by GDII »

Last night I started to strip down the 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 engine harness. Wow this thing is dirty!!! :shock:

TLDR; Wires and plugs you need to keep from the 3SGTE harness plus other little bit of information.

You need quite a few plugs and wires for the merge so I'll list them here. I think it covers all of them for this particular swap. It will be slightly different if you are using a different harness. For JDM the GEN3 3SGE has 4 ECU plugs where the rest have 3. The JDM BEAMS 3SGE has 4 plugs but a very different wiring harness so this information won't really apply to it.

Plugs required and the plug name as per the USDM 93 Wiring Diagram. I have used this as it is easy to get your hands on but it is not the same as the JDM harnesses. The actual plug codes for the JDM wiring diagrams is different as shown in (brackets) from document 1989 10 67331.

Inspector Boost at it again. He's really strict on quality control!
1 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Harness Pre Inspection.jpg
Engine Bay Fuse Box
Alternator Charge Wire (Remove this for the 2GR cable)
39 SW20 Alternator Charge Cable Fuse Box end.jpg

Plug EB1(EG1)
This is the main power distribution plug. It has power for the likes of Intercooler Fan/Engine Bay fan for 3SGE. Fan Controller. Various VSVs and sensors. Injectors, coil, igniter. Alternator 3 pin plug power and in some applications the Fuel Pump bypass power wire.
2 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EB1 1.jpg
3 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EB1 2.jpg
4 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EB1 3.jpg
Plug EA3(IE1)
This has general sensor signal wires and power switching wires. Such as ABS TC pin for diagnostics, Coolant temp gauge earth, Charge Light, Tachometer signal, Coolant Temp Gauge signal, Oil Pressure switch signal, the wire from the key barrel to the starter relay, in the 89-91 wiring there is the AC idle up valve power and ground wires, these get removed for this swap, Reverse Light switch, AC Clutch power, Alternator Sensing wire and a cruise control wire if fitted.
5 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EA3 1.jpg
6 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EA3 2.jpg
7 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EA3 3.jpg
Plugs in the Boot/Trunk

Plug EA1(EH1)
This has various wires depending on the model and year of car. It's a 12 pin plug for the 89-91 JDM cars but a 15pin socket for the 92-99 cars.
It normally contains wires for the Intercooler Fan system. The 2 engine lid sensor wires and the warning light wire. Speed signal wire and the diagnostics wire for power steering. In the case of this particular harness is the ECU FC pin wire that the allows the ECU to control the Circuit Opening Relay which in turn controls the fuel pump. When the engine stalls, the pump cuts out. It's a safety feature. This plug also has the fuel pump jumper wire to bypass the normal fuel pump power wiring and FC pin for testing purposes only. In the case of the 3SGTE harness there is also the boost gauge signal wire here.
14 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EA1 1.jpg
15 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EA2 1.jpg
16 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug EA1 3.jpg
Starter Relay Plug S6 (C)
This remains, no changes needed.
8 SW20 MR2 Starter Relay Plug 1.jpg
9 SW20 MR2 Starter Relay Plug 2.jpg
10 SW20 MR2 Starter Relay Plug 3.jpg
Intercooler Fan Controller Plug C3 (C4)
In Marcs example you use the power wire for the intercooler fan for the AFR sensors on the 2GR as it is fused and switched by ignition already with they right ratings but in this case I want to run a fan for the engine bay as it's supercharged and makes more heat. So at this point this plug remains untouched. Not that it gets modified in Marc example as it's a pin in EB1 that gets tapped into. Just pointing out a difference here.
11 SW20 MR2 Intercooler Fan Controller Plug 1.jpg
12 SW20 MR2 Intercooler Fan Controller Plug 2.jpg
13 SW20 MR2 Intecooler Fan Controller Plug 3.jpg
ECU Plug E8 long and E7 short
This normally gets binned but in Marcs example you can reuse the plugs along with the 3SGTE ECU socket he supplies for joining the Drive By Wire Throttle harness into and merging the body harness plug of the 2GR ECU into plug E6 from the body harness of the MR2 without having to cut E6 off. He shows you near the end of the video.
17 2 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug E8 1.jpg
18 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug E8 2.jpg
19 2 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug E8 3.jpg
20 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug E7 1.jpg
21 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug E7 2.jpg
22 89-91 GEN2 JDM 3SGTE Plug E7 3.jpg
Cruise Control Speed Sensor Plug
In the 89-91 harness this 3 pin triangle plug exists and is normally not plugged in unless the JDM car had cruise control which is rare. It still exists in the harness no matter what. It has power, ground and signal. In this case we need the wiring from it as Mo is going to an electronic speedo and I'll join in the speedo plug he got from the Camry to plug into his electronic sensor. Normally the older car run cable so the speed sensor has a mechanical spinning cable that runs from the gearbox to the gauge at the front. There the electronic signal is created for the engine ECU and sent back to the ECU at the back of the car. The purple wire already exists in the car from ECU to gauge cluster so we will instead send the signal backwards up the wire to the gauge and also send it directly to the 2GR ECU. All I need to do is earth the ground wire to the engine harness as per the original.
23 SW20 MR2 Cuise Control Speed Sensor Plug.jpg
Alternator Charge Cable
Normally for a GEN4 3SGTE swap you need this cable as the Caldina has it in a separate body harness but the 2GR has it's own in the engine harness so you remove this.
24 SW20 MR2 Alternator Charge Cable.jpg
Reverse Light Switch
As the 2GR is always Auto Transmission you need this wire to plug into your manual gearbox of choice so the reverse lights on your car work. If you have an auto transmission 5SFE or 3SGE/FE you need to grab the wires and a plug from a manual gearbox and use that.
25 SW20 MR2 Reverse Switch Plug 1.jpg
26 SW20 MR2 Reverse Switch Plug 2.jpg
Coolant Temp Gauge Sensor Plug
You need this wire. Marcs example covers the two methods of using it. In our case we will use the new 3 pin ECU and Gauge sensor in one plug so I can remove this manky plug!
27 SW20 MR2 Coolant Temp Gauge Sensor Plug.jpg
Starter Motor control plug and ring terminal
You need these wires for the MR2 starter motor. The plug is for the solenoid off the starter relay and the ring terminal is a direct 12V feed from the battery via the main cable post on the starter. It then goes to the switched part of the starter relay to the plug shown here.
28 SW20 MR2 Starter Motor Plug and Ring Terminal.jpg
Oil Pressure Light Switch
You need this wire for your dashboard light but also it has the right signal to make the powersteeing operate correctly with the engine off. Marc explains it in his video and it is in the wiring diagram.
29 SW20 MR2 Oil Pressure Switch Plug.jpg
30 SW20 MR2 Oil Pressure Switch Plug 1.jpg
Alternator 3 Pin Plug
On the 89-91 harness the plug is round, on the 92-99 harness it is oval. This, is, oval as it has been spliced to use a newer alternator. I don't need the plug but I do need the wires to join to the 2GR harness. Alternator power, sensing and the charge light.
31 92-99 SW20 MR2 Oval Alternator Plug 1.jpg
32 92-99 SW20 MR2 Oval Alternator Plug 2.jpg
Intercooler/Engine Bay Fan Plug
I'll be reusing this and attempting to run it through the 2GR harness. Normally you just bin it.
33 SW20 MR2 Intercooler Engine Bay Fan Plug 1.jpg
34 SW20 MR2 Intercooler Engine Bay Fan Plug 2.jpg
AC Magnetic Clutch Power Plug
You need to keep the wire for this so you can join this to the 2GR harness and control your AC compressor of choice. The 2GR has a pressure valve in it with additional control which makes it harder to use as per the OEM spec. But I've seen that someone welded the valve shut so it only runs the ON/OFF function like the MR2. In our case Mo has sources a 1GR pump from the 4.0litre version of the this engine which has only the ON/OFF clutch function.
35 SW20 MR2 AC Magnetic Clutch Power Plug 1.jpg
36 SW20 MR2 AC Magnetic Clutch Power Plug 2.jpg
OBD1 Diagnostics port
Last but not least (in my opinion) is the OBD1 port from the MR2. Yes, the 2GR is OBD2 and I will wiring in an OBD2 port but.... the MR2 has a few functions that the 2GR powered cars don't have. You can still pull codes from the power steering ECU and ABS if you have it. You can still manually Check Engine Light (CEL) flash the dash light on an OBD2 system but also the MR2 has the fuel pump jumper wire here. Most wires, I'll pull out of this port but I'll keep a few wires here. On the newer system the fuel pump jumper doesn't exist so it's harder to test the pump and fuel system. I like to keep it in as it's useful. I'll relocate this to the boot. The other option would be to run a switch in line with each circuit so you can just run them as they will only be connected to the old TE1(new TC on 2GR) and E1 which is earth and for the fuel pump it's +B (12V) and FP(to the pump).
37 SW20 MR2 OBD1 Diagnostics Port 1.jpg
38 SW20 MR2 Diagnostics Port 2.jpg
40 SW20 MR2 OBD1 Port 3.jpg
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GDII

Post by GDII »

Now it's time to remove all the insulation tape and plastic coverings from the harness to find all the places to cut wires from. There are many branches and splice crimp connectors hiding inside the harness that need trimmed to remove some but not all wires.

Starting withe fuse box end. The plastic wire clamp here clips into the fuse box. It has to be removed to get the main alternator cable out and some other wires.
1 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Fuse Box Plugs 1.jpg
Taking off the tape
2 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Fuse Box Plugs 2.jpg
Remove the cable tie Phill styles.
3 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Fuse Box Clip.jpg
4 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Fuse Box Clip Cable Tie.jpg
Put in a safe place for later.
5 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Fuse Box Clip Removed.jpg
Then start taking of the loom tube. There is very little on this harness.
6 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Covering Removal.jpg
Starting to expose more wires.
7 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Fuse box area.jpg
The are the igniter and coil plugs. You don't need the plugs themselves hence the red cable ties but you will end up using the large Black w/Red wires from each later on.
8 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Coil and Igniter Plugs.jpg
This is how they look under the tape where they join to the main harness run.
9 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Coil and Igniter join to main harness.jpg
A bit more of the harness exposed around the rear firewall boot.
10 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Fuse box and boot splitjpg.jpg
This is where the harness heads off under the intake manifold. It has plugs for injectors and various VSVs for boost (T-VSV) control, T-VIS control and others.
11 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Injector Area Cover.jpg
A plastic cover over this part of the harness protects it and holds it in place. Still very dirty in here.
Clips on the cover allow you to open it up then remove the tape holding the plug wires as they break out off the main run inside.
12 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Injector Area Cover Clip 1.jpg
14 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Injector Area Cover Clip 2.jpg
15 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Injector Area Cover  Opened.jpg
16 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Injector Area Cover Injector Wires untaped.jpg.jpg
Cover removed, this is what is inside, just more wires.
17 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Injector Area Uncovered.jpg
This is where it branches off after clearing the intake manifold towards the cam belt cover. This is where the OBD1 wires head off, Intercooler fan wires go and O2 and CAT Temp sensor goes along with the AC mag clutch power wire.
18 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Boost OBD1 Fan O2 Sensor Split.jpg
19 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Cam Belt Cover area.jpg.jpg
Unclip the cover, open it up to remove the wires.
20 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Cam Belt area clip.jpg
21 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Cam Belt area unclipped.jpg
22 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Cam Belt area removed.jpg
23 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Cam Belt area.jpg
Back to the firewall grommet area.
Remove more thick wire covering.
24 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Firewall boot transition 1.jpg
25 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Firewall boot transition 2.jpg
26 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Firewall boot transition 3.jpg
27 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Firewall boot transition 4.jpg
28 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Firewall boot transition 5.jpg
Removal of the alternator cable. For the 2GR swap it is not needed. For a GEN4 3SGTE, it is!
29 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Alternator Charge Wire Removal.jpg
30 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Alternator Charge Wire Removed.jpg
This is what you are left with. The 2 grey plugs will be cut off eventually but reused. Watch this space.
31 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Boot Plugs.jpg
This fire wall boot keeps showing up. To me, it's rather important. Marc says just cut it as there are so many wires that need to go though it. The just join it with tape again. Not my style, on the GEN4 harness I thread EVERY single wire from the ECU through the grommet 1 by 1. Now the 2GR has MANY more wires to go through being a V6 with VVTi and 4x O2 sensors and 6 cylinders. I'll take a real good look at the 2GR harness once I have stripped it back and make the call. I really don't want to cut it but may not have a choice.
32 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Firewall Boot 1.jpg
33 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Firewall Boot 2.jpg
This is the harness part number. This specific swap uses the MR2 harness part number 82121-17300 and the Aurion harness part number 82121-86871 which is actually an NA harness and the old difference isn't a difference at all, just the ACIS plug is not plugged in as the manifold doesn't have it.
Odd fact about the SW20 harness. Part number 82121-17300 is for the SW20 GT from 12-89 until 08/91 however the REV2 car wasn't released until 12/91. So Toyota changed or superseded the harness with 82121-17450 for 4-5 months. I wonder what they changed? The next harness has part number 82121-17301 for the REV2 car which I know is very different.
34 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Part Number.jpg
This Green w/Red wire is the FC pin on the ECU. It controls the C/OPN Relay or Circuit Opening Relay which essentially controls power to the fuel pump. This realy gets switched when the key is turned to Start and when the ECU is happy the engine is running it powers up the FC pin and keeps the C/OPN relay closed. When the engine stalls such as in a crash the ECU shuts off the pump. Safety feature. Now in Marcs example the FC pin exists in Pin 14 of Plug E6 which is the 22 pin ECU plug that is part of the body harness. This makes it easy to redo and splice the new ECU FC pin to this wire. However in the JDM REV1 harness the FC wire is of course somewhere else. It exists in Pin 17 of Plug E8 then goes to Pin 2 of Plug EA1 which connects the engine harness to the body harness. I will need to rearrange this to make it work, I'm sure it's not hard but I have not spent any time to think about how to come up with a solution. I recall on Olafs car I just ran a new bullet connector plug outside of all the OEM plugs to make it work for his 3SGTE swap, but I'm not going to do it that way for this car.
35 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness FC Wire Routing.jpg
And this is how the harness looks stripped of it's tape and wire loom covering.
36 89-91 JDM 3SGTE MR2 Harness Stripped of Tape.jpg

GDII

Post by GDII »

Now to actually start removing plugs and wires from the harness. I've already removed the alternator charge cable but that's just taped in place so easy to remove unlike the rest which needs depinned or cut out.

Starting at plug EA3 with the 89-91 AC Idle Up VSV wires. These are not needed as the 2GR now has an electronic throttle so the ECU can just add air as needed with the throttle plate instead of an external bypass valve. This plug and wires can just be depinned and put aside.
The wiring diagrams explain how to unlock and depin these type of plugs.
1 SW20 MR2 Plug EA3 Retainer Clip 1.jpg
2 SW20 MR2 Plug EA3 Retainer Clip 2.jpg
3 SW20 MR2 Plug EA3 AC Idle up VSV Power.jpg
4 SW20 MR2 Plug EA3 AC Idle Up VSV Power Removed.jpg
5 SW20 MR2 Plug EA3 AC Idle Up VSV Power Removed.jpg
6 SW20 MR2 Plug EA3 AC Idle Up VSV Plug Removed.jpg
This is the harness tape in the bin. Plenty of it. The tape can go really hard if exposed to heat and oil and it's also lost most of it's sticky yet it's so so dirty!
7 All the harness tape junk.jpg
The coil ground with had some damage to the outer casing. Not great but luckily we don't need to use this. The other wire however, useful to have for powering coils and injectors as mentioned previously.
8 Coil Earth wire damage.jpg
This is an overview of the harness before stripping it out.
9 Wire harness before fully stripping.jpg
This photo probably puts fear into a lot of people. The stuff nightmares are made of. It just happens to the be the location where most of the wires run along side each other so nothing to be scared of.
10 The Things Nightmares Are Made Of.jpg
Showing the age of the wires. Yazaki 1990. Yazaki manufacture Japanese car wiring harnesses and started in 1939.
11 Yazaki 1990.jpg
Alternator wire in the fuse box. This has 2 nuts with studs holding it in, the 2GR has a single stud so you only use one.
12 Alternator Connection in Fuse Box.jpg
And it starts. Ready to start cutting!
13 And It Starts.jpg
These older harnesses use a wide bit of tape to cover and seal the splice crimps from corrosion. It does work as the copper and brass is still fresh 30 years on.
14 OEM Splice join tape.jpg
This splice is for the power wire from ST2 in the key barrel(START) to 4 items in the JDM GEN2 3SGTE harness.
1. Starter Relay coil. You power this coil and the switched side closes activating the starter motor. Obviously you only turn the key to the START position until the engine is running so the other 3 items only get power in this situation.
2. Cold Start Injector
3. Cold Start Injector Time Switch.
4. STA pin on the engine ECU. This appears to receive power from the key for the 3SGTE. In the 2GR swap you don't need this pin hooked up to the 2GR ECU as it actually provides power to the Starter Relay coil rather than the key so backwards to the MR2. As we are using the MR2 starter relay system this pin is not needed to be joint in to the ECU. You'd probably damage something if you did.
The 2GR ECU has a pin called MREL which is Main Relay (read EFI Relay) so the ECU controls the EFI relay where in the MR2 this is controlled by the key. So we actually bypass this system as the ECU doesn't seem to care.
15 OEM Splice Join Starter Relay Coil and Cold Start Injector.jpg
Going in for the first cut!
16 The First Cut.jpg
Executed!
17 The First Cut.jpg
This is the 3SGTE harness next to the 2GR harness. I'll cover the 2GR harness in a bit more detail later on.
18 89-91 JDM 3SGTE Harnesses Side By Side with the 2008 TRD Aurion 2GR.jpg
This splice join is from the Coil, Igniter and Noise Filter. All three are to be reused for 2 coil banks grouped as 1,3 and 5 and 2,4 and 6 and the fuel injectors. This is contrary to Marc's diagram as the USDM 93+ shows Injector power coming from Pin 4 on EB1 and coil power from Pin 10. So it is different for the car and you need to check. I know the GEN3 3SGE has the Coil in Pin 2, the Injectors on Pin 4 and the Igniter in Pin 5. Always check the actual car and harness you are working with.
19 Main Power From EB1 to Coil, Igniter and Noise Filter.jpg
Marked to join to the following wires on the 2GR harness. Coils are CA3 Pin 2 and Pin 7 and Injectors are CA1 Pin 2.
20 To Join to CA3 Pin 2 and 7 and CA1 Pin 2.jpg
All the stuff you don't need in a pile.
21 All the plugs and wires removed that are not used.jpg
Progress shots at this point in the stripping process.
22 Progress Shot 1.jpg
23 Progress Shot 2.jpg
Ever wondered what was in the back of the OBD1 port. Nothing special, just wires as per the typical plugs.
24 Inside the back of the OBD1 Port.jpg
All these wires that remain for EB1 (small) and EA3 (large). Note the long black wire, this is for the Tachometer from the ECU. I'll be using the resistor swap method to convert the 4 cylinder signal to the 6 cylinder signal. The rest of the wires are power and signals to parts on the car body, mostly dashboard.
25 The Wires That Remain from EA3 and EB1.jpg
This is what is left on one branch of the harness. Starter motor, Coolant Temp Gauge Sensor, Oil Pressure Switch Light and Gearbox Reverse Switch.
26 Starter Motor-Coolant Temp Gauge Sensor-Oil Pressure Gauge-Gearbox Reverse Switch.jpg
On the other branch is the Intercooler Fan plug, Alternator 3 Pin plug and the AC Mag Clutch Power plug.
27 Intercooler Fan Power-Alternator 3 Pin Plug-AC Mag Clutch Power.jpg
Here is OBD1 and the main earths for the ECU and sensors. I'll be cutting out most of the earths, I just haven't go to it yet but some will still remain.
28 OBD1-Earths.jpg
An overall of what you end up with after cutting it all out.
29 What You end up with.jpg
To protect the Injector and Coils OEM splice I will put heat shrink over it. To do so I have to depin the plug to run it over the wires.
Unlocking the retainers
30 EB1 Retainer Clip.jpg
Unclipping the retainer to pull out the pin.
31 EB1 Pin 4 Pin Removal.jpg
EB1 Pin 4 removed.
32 EB1 Pin 4 Out.jpg
EB1 Pin 4 and wires marked out.
33 EB1 Pin 4 out with the 3 spliced wires marked.jpg
I'm using Raychem ES2000 No.1 and No.2 which is a dual wall adhesive lined heat shrink so it seals the area inside the shrink once it has been recovered in size plus gives a stiff area to protect it.
I have to go with No.2 size to get over the pin as it's very big.
34 EB1 Pin 4 Protection Options.jpg
Shrink it with fire!
35 EB1 Pin 4 Splice Heat Shrink.jpg
36 EB1 Pin 4 Splice Heat shrunk.jpg
You can see the glue coming out each end.
37 Heat Shrink Glue .jpg
38 Heat Shrink Glue.jpg
That's it for now. Something to note, I'll be reusing the 2 grey 3SGTE ECU plugs so I cut the wires instead of depinning them for future use. Normally I depin to retain the wires from the ECU to plug where I can incase someone needs a whole length of wire to repair or extend their harness. Of which has happened before.

GDII

Post by GDII »

From the last step in stripping the GEN2 3SGTE harness I had cut a lot of the wires for unused plugs to leave some length on the two spare ECU plugs E7 and E8. This is so I can use them on the jumper junction block that you can buy which is a GEN2 3SGTE ECU socket. Everything from E7 and E8 gets cut or removed.
1 Removing E7.jpg
This is one side of E7.
2 Removed E7 Colours side 1.jpg
This is E7 that I will hook up to the 6 Drive By Wire Throttle Pedal Position Sensor plug and wires supplied by Frankenstein Motorworks. I am yet to confirm of the length for these wires is long enough for a RHD car. I feel they are not based on a quick test fit. I need to be sure so I can lengthen if required.
3 Labelling E7 for DBW throttle pedal.jpg
4 DBW Pedal Harness Marc.jpg
I need to remove a few more unused wires that are connected to the OBD1 port through EA3. This one being the yellow TS for the ABS ECU of which does not exist in this car.
5 EA3 Removing remaining wires from OBD1.jpg
6 EA3 Removing Additional wires from OBD1.jpg
7 OBD1 List.jpg
8 Removing unused wires form OBD1.jpg
Removing the CCO wire as it is from the Cruise Control ECU of which this car does not have. Plug EA1 in this case.
9 EA1 Removing CCO.jpg
9 EA1 Removing CCO.jpg (489.06 KiB) Viewed 902 times
10 EA1 Removing CCO.jpg
10 EA1 Removing CCO.jpg (516.95 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Removing ECU plug E8 for use in the junction block. More to come on that later. As you can see there are 3 earth wires. These are the main earth wires from the 3SGTE ECU. E01, E02 and E1.
11 Removing E8.jpg
12 Removing E8.jpg
These earth wires go to the main ECU earth point on the intake manifold. A 10mm bolt holds this eye terminal on. You can split it if needed. I have done so as t takes the earths from other sensors out. I'll be splicing the wires onto the 2GR harness earth point of which there are some spares when you remove the transmission ECU plugs out.
13 E8 Earth wires to check and cut.jpg
22 Intake Manifold EArth bolting point.jpg
23 Intake Manifold earth bolting point.jpg
I am attempting to not cut the firewall boot so that means pulling each wire through it one by one. 76 from the 2GR harness and a few from the MR2 harness. I'm relocating the OBD1 port to the boot space as it has the TC pin for pulling codes from the power steering ECU, E1 (earth) +B (12V Power) FP (Fuel pump) and TE1 (CEL flasher).
Why? Because the new wiring harness does not have a way to jump the fuel pump for testing like the older systems do. So you jump FP and +B to make that work. TC and E1 for getting powersteering ECU codes and TE1 and E1 for getting OBD2 CEL flashing codes. Yes, you can CEL flash OBD2 engine codes without a scanner tool. If you have old school MR2 knowledge it's still there for use. You can also CEL flash using a wire to jumper the OBD2 port too if you wanted to. I just hook up the TC pin on the OBD2 (DLC3) to the TE1 wire for the OBD1 port. Easy.

I use a wire to pull each wire through.
14 Wire pulling tool through firewall Boot.jpg
15 Wire pulling tool through firewall Boot.jpg
16 Wire pulling tool through firewall Boot.jpg
17 OBD1 move to boot.jpg
18 OBD1 move to boot.jpg
Now I need to move a wire for the FC pin (Green w/Red) which is Fuel Cut from the ECU. It lives in plug EA1 and E8 on the 89-91 wiring which does not make it easy to do the swap. The example Marc gives uses the 93+ USDM which is similar to the 92-93 JDM wiring where FC is already in plug E6 in the body harness. Simple, just get that from the new 2GR ECU into the junction block you'll be making and go! Here on the older cars, not so much. I mentioned before that I hadn't looked at exactly how to make this work. Now I have after throwing together 2 options. First option did not work, it's ugly and involves a stupid single pin plug to jump from one place to another. Second option is to modify the body harness on the car and move the FC wire from EA1 to E6(need a new terminal) and then use the junction block as per what Marc shows to get power to the right place. I'm going with option 2.
19 E8 FC wire Green wRed.jpg
20 E8 FC wire Green wRed.jpg
Now E8 can be removed from the 3SGTE harness.
21 E8 Removed.jpg
This is what you are now left with. This is sufficient to now merge with the 2GR harness. Wires will get cut short but not all.
24 Fully Stripped GEN2 3SGTE Harness.jpg

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Front Suspension Arms & Hubs with Wilhelm Kit

Post by lasersooby »

I want to thank Grant Rolfe - Engineering Supervisor at my work for helping out massively on the re-assembly of these parts. Amazing how quickly things happen when you have the right tools to do the job, especially hydraulic press etc.

Assembling of the lower front arms with Prothane Bushes that I bought through TwosRUs:
2021Feb21-Pix01.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix01.jpg (200.19 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix02.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix02.jpg (151.57 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix03.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix03.jpg (73.23 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix04.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix04.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix05.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix05.jpg (73.93 KiB) Viewed 872 times
This is what the Megan Racing Adjustable tension rods looked liked prior to making some changes:
2021Feb21-Pix06.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix07.jpg
The studs in the MR tension rods were 10mm x 1.5pitch x 30mm long:
2021Feb21-Pix08.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix09.jpg
The OEM Toyota Tension rod studs are 12mm x 1.25pitch x 48mm long:
2021Feb21-Pix10.jpg
I could not find the correct stud length, ordered some longer studs then modified them to fit the tension rods:
2021Feb21-Pix11.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix12.jpg
After mods and painted black to blend in the rest of the suspension parts:
2021Feb21-Pix13.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix14.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix15.jpg
Installed the lower suspension arm:
2021Feb21-Pix16.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix17.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix18.jpg
Installed the tension rod:
2021Feb21-Pix19.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix20.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix21.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix22.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix23.jpg
Reassembled the front hubs with new bearings etc. The only old items in the hubs are the actual hub and the ABS rings with the ABS sensors. By the way DO NOT FORGET TO INSTALL THE DUST COVER FIRST, we found out the hard way :D :D :D :D
2021Feb21-Pix24.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix25.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix25.jpg (165.66 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix26.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix26.jpg (117.87 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix27.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix27.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix28.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix28.jpg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix29.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix29.jpg (68.51 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix30.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix30.jpg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix31.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix31.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix32.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix32.jpg (101.56 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix33.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix33.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix34.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix34.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix35.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix35.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix36.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix36.jpg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix37.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix37.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 872 times
2021Feb21-Pix38.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix39.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix40.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix41.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix42.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix43.jpg
Attachments
2021Feb21-Pix23.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix22.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix21.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix20.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix19.jpg
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Wilhelm Suspension Geometry Kit - FRONT

Post by lasersooby »

Purchased the full Suspension Geometry Kit from Wilhelm Racing to sort out the additional adjustments on the suspension including the roll center adjustments.

Front Kit:
2021Feb21-Pix44.jpg
Kit installed on the hub:
2021Feb21-Pix45.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix46.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix47.jpg
New ball joints installed:
2021Feb21-Pix48.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix49.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix50.jpg
2021Feb21-Pix51.jpg
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Tom

Post by tomnomnom »

Do you know if that Wilhelm kit can be road certified? Have you had it tested?

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

Hi mate, been working closely with my certifier on this and have asked him again before installing this. If he changes his mind once it comes to certification time, then I'll have to whip out all the emails etc thats been going between him and I.

Also, no I haven't tested it nor had it tested.
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Will be interesting to see how it gets on - https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/stan ... ystems.pdf - this does say you are allowed to change the components so I don't see why there would be any issues, it looks like the kit is very high quality and actually helps to remove some issues with the stock MR2 suspension
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

GDII

Post by GDII »

ClanFever wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:36 pm
Will be interesting to see how it gets on - https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/stan ... ystems.pdf - this does say you are allowed to change the components so I don't see why there would be any issues, it looks like the kit is very high quality and actually helps to remove some issues with the stock MR2 suspension
Buying Alex's coilovers might be another issue but they aren't used here. They are custom welded by him.
In saying that, his weld quality is probably better than my OEM swaybar link bracket from Bilstien that failed because the weld was faulty.

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lasersooby »

ClanFever wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:36 pm
Thanks Olaf, it's possible that he is interpreting things similarly which is good for us :D
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

T-Top Finished

Post by lasersooby »

Finished installing the new rubber of the T-Top, looks really good and solid. Once it is up and running, will have to check it out for leaks :D
2021Feb27-Pix01.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix02.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix03.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix04.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix05.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix06.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix07.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix08.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix09.jpg
2021Feb27-Pix10.jpg
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Installation of the HSD Coilovers& Hubs in the Front

Post by lasersooby »

Installed the HSD coilovers in the front. Encountered a few minor issues and these were resolved as we went through the install process. Thanks to Grant Rolfe for the help in doing the swaybar link bracket and also to Phil for identifying a mistake I had made when I installed the lower front arms. It was missing the washers in the front of the inner bushes.

Shock absorber bolts cleaned up (combination of meth & turps) and ready for install.
2021Feb28-Pix01.jpg
Dis-assembly of coilovers so that I could install Alex Wilhelm Raceworks top camber plates:
2021Feb28-Pix02.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix08.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix09.jpg
Comparison between the top hats & nuts (HSD vs AWR):
2021Feb28-Pix10.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix11.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix12.jpg
Re-assembly of the coilovers with the new AWR camber plate:
2021Feb28-Pix13.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix14.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix15.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix16.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix17.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix18.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix19.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix20.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix21.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix22.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix23.jpg
Installed in car, please note that Picture 28 shows the shocks installed incorrectly, it is 180 degrees out from the original position:
2021Feb28-Pix24.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix25.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix28.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix34.jpg
Hub mounted on coilover:
2021Feb28-Pix33.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix37.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix38.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix39.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix40.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix41.jpg
We had to modify the sway link mount on the coilover. It was too close to the inner guard and there was no way we could have got the swaybar link in there. The difference between the OEM setup and the coilover was 10mm. Grant unstitched the welding, removed 10mm off the lug then TIG welded in place then re-painted so that it looks just like original HSD item. He made sure to get the angles right so that the link would mount the way it should
2021Feb28-Pix30.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix31.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix42.jpg
Test fitted the new rotors (Rotor is off a Lexus LS 400, diameter of rotor is 323mm), hmm, have a bit of modification work to do on the dust shield :D
2021Feb28-Pix35.jpg
2021Feb28-Pix36.jpg
Difference between the OEM rotor vs the new setup:
2021Feb28-Pix43.jpg
Swaybar link bolts need to be modified, cut short by 6mm so that it clears the inner guard. This will get done this week:
2021Feb28-Pix44.jpg
Last edited by lasersooby on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Toyota Aqua G's

GDII

Post by GDII »

Starting work on the 2GR harness.
1 2008 2GR Aurion Plug C55.jpg
First off you start with the main engine harness ECU plug. Most of the wires in here stay. You choose to remove any unneeded wires.
2 2008 2GR Aurion Gearbox and starter plugs.jpg
These are the gearbox and starter motor plugs. And the MAF plug.
Plug C1 is the select lever wiring. It tells the ECUs what gear you have selected. For this harness you remove all the wires but Pin 1 and 7. 1 is power and 7 is drive. In Marcs example it's 2 and 7 as that is how the RAV4 is wired.
Pin 1 is red and pin 7 is green. Cut and join these to put the ECU into Drive tune mode permanently. I'll cover this later on.
2 2008 2GR  Aurion Plug C1.jpg
2 2008 2GR Aurion Plug C1.jpg
3 2008 2GR Aurion Plugs CA1 CA2 CA3.jpg
These are the 3 fuse box plugs you need to grab wires from to join to the MR2 harness.
I'll cover in a bit more detail in the next post. It won't show everything but the idea behind what is trying to be achieved.
4 2008 2GR Aurion Fusebox and gearbox plugs.jpg
This is where everything in question lives vs each other. The MAF and coolant temp sensor plugs are here too.
5 2008 2GR Aurion Plug C55 with earth splices.jpg
These are earth splices epoxy sealed. I'm yet to actually determine what earth wires these join but they probably need to stay here near the ECU plug.
EDIT: These are for the shielded cable earthing connections. Makes sense why they are at this end of the harness.
6 2008 2GR Aurion Plug C55 with earth splices.jpg
7 2008 2GR Aurion Harness clamp.jpg
Removing a clamp that is used to clip the harness to a clip. This one probably won't go back on.
8 2008 2GR Aurion Harness tape.jpg
Starting to take off the tape. This stuff is sticky!! Well sealed!
9 removing loom tube Plug C55.jpg
Removing the loom tube.
10 Removing loom tube C55.jpg
11 Removed loom tube C55.jpg
12 Removed loom tube C55.jpg
13 Battery cable removal.jpg
The Aurion has the battery earth cable in part of the harness. Time to remove that as it is not needed.
14 Battery cable harness entry.jpg
15 Battery cable in harness.jpg
16 overall C55 and CA1 CA2 CA3.jpg
17 battery Cable removal.jpg
18 Battery cable removed.jpg
19 Battery cable removed.jpg
20 Alternator cable fusebox end.jpg
This is the alternator cable. It's a single eye vs the double eye in the MR2 harness. You need to remove it from the plastic clamp from the Aurion fuse box to use it in the MR2.
21 Alternator cable fusebox end.jpg
22 Alternator cable fusebox end.jpg
23 Alternator cable end clamp removal.jpg
24 Alternator cable clamp removal.jpg
25 Alternator cable clamp removal.jpg
26 Alternator cable clamp removal.jpg
27 Cables before removal.jpg
This is what you are left with on this branch of the harness before you remove the unused wires. I've marked each one I need to keep.
28 C34 ACM plug.jpg
This plug is interesting. C34 is for the ACM vacuum switching valve. It is Active Control Mount for the engine mount stiffness. It varies vs RPM to smooth out the vibrations on the engine. Idle is an RPM where it helps make the engine feel smoother. This gets the chop! Unless someone wants to figure out a way to use the mount in the MR2.