Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mo

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby lasersooby » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Bit of an update on the build, car body will get a full week's worth of attention to get it finished off ready for painting. Sorted color out, going with Mazda Soul Red, hopefully it comes out alright. Just for 3 liters of paint is around 1100$, have speak to the missus nicely to let me spend this. In the meantime, a few more goodies arrived and have to start sorting out when to put them as the garage is becoming a bit messy. The gearbox will get a total rebuild with a Quaife LSD install and am seriously looking at a Quartermaster system to in as well
Attachments
Rear Boot Mat.JPG
Rear Boot Mat.JPG (26.14 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Euro R Recaros for MR2.JPG
Euro R Recaros for MR2.JPG (111.31 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
EA6x 6speed 4.JPG
EA6x 6speed 4.JPG (129.69 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
EA6x 6speed 3.JPG
EA6x 6speed 3.JPG (137.51 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
EA6x 6speed 2.JPG
EA6x 6speed 2.JPG (133.23 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
EA6x 6speed 1.JPG
EA6x 6speed 1.JPG (143.49 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
6speed Gear Lever, Mount & cables.JPG
6speed Gear Lever, Mount & cables.JPG (145.26 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
6speed Gear Knob.JPG
6speed Gear Knob.JPG (99.09 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto)
When the Wife Allows: 2015 Toyota Highlander ZR (SOLD), ordered RAV4 Limited Hybrid TRD del April 2020
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

User avatar
*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 2438
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:44 am
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby *84vvt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Score of the year well done
Details ........ or there will be trouble LOL
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Image

User avatar
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 6885
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:44 pm
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Benckj » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am

Looking like its all coming together. Keen to see how car comes out when painted. I'm gearing up to shoot mine over Christmas. What brand and type of paint did you purchase?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mo

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby lasersooby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:16 am

Hi, bought the paint and everything else that went with it through Total Bodyshop Supplies in Petone. Awesome people to deal with.
The brand is PPG and the Mazda Soul Red comes in with a base and a clear that goes with it.
My mate that is doing the body work and painting is planning to get a good depth of color. Will post pictures up as it evolves :D
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto)
When the Wife Allows: 2015 Toyota Highlander ZR (SOLD), ordered RAV4 Limited Hybrid TRD del April 2020
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mo

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby lasersooby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Another box of parts arrived from the UK, complete wiring looms (front, inside & engine bay) including all sensors, ABS Pump & all related ECU & sensors. Unmolested wiring loom to replace the butchered ones that were in the project car. Donor car wiring looks a bit suss as well hence this purchase. Complete package was GBP 48.00 and shipping through YouShop was NZ$105.00. No customs or duty charges for this shipment

Rev 4 Complete Wiring Loom with Sensors & ABS Pump.JPG
Rev 4 Complete Wiring Loom with Sensors & ABS Pump.JPG (105.67 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto)
When the Wife Allows: 2015 Toyota Highlander ZR (SOLD), ordered RAV4 Limited Hybrid TRD del April 2020
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

User avatar
chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ross

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby chief1eye » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Hi Mo

How far away before your up and running?

User avatar
Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shaun

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Mrman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Is that the Evora tranny?

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mo

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby lasersooby » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:09 am

Hi Ross, bit of a slow build as I have gutted the car completely and taken it bare metal. Wanted to be sure that there was no rust and any damage anywhere due to my plans for the build. I cannot see this on the road this summer but sometime later this year.

Shaun, yeah this is the same tranny that goes in the Evora. The ratios are really good and cruising rpm is around 2000 and the good thing is that it will hold the torque that the 2GR produces. I can get sports gear set off the Evora but nah, it will not make any difference to me. Quaife make an LSD for this transmission which I will be getting soon and will get the box fully rebuilt. My plan is to use a QuarterMaster clutch release system which will solve a few issues out around the fork actuater so will see how this goes.

How's your car going?
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto)
When the Wife Allows: 2015 Toyota Highlander ZR (SOLD), ordered RAV4 Limited Hybrid TRD del April 2020
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

User avatar
Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shaun

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Mrman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 am

lasersooby wrote:Hi Ross, bit of a slow build as I have gutted the car completely and taken it bare metal. Wanted to be sure that there was no rust and any damage anywhere due to my plans for the build. I cannot see this on the road this summer but sometime later this year.

Shaun, yeah this is the same tranny that goes in the Evora. The ratios are really good and cruising rpm is around 2000 and the good thing is that it will hold the torque that the 2GR produces. I can get sports gear set off the Evora but nah, it will not make any difference to me. Quaife make an LSD for this transmission which I will be getting soon and will get the box fully rebuilt. My plan is to use a QuarterMaster clutch release system which will solve a few issues out around the fork actuater so will see how this goes.

How's your car going?


Mine is going well thanks mo no real issues to speak of yet, I’m lining up my certification for January which is the next job on the list. so which model Toyota does the tranny come from?

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mo

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby lasersooby » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 am

Hi mate, it will be interesting to see how the certification process goes. Hopefully all goes well.

The tranny is out of the 2.0 Diesel Toyota Auris, amazing that the Evora's have this as the standard gearbox behind the supercharged 2GR. These things are like rocking horses at the moment in NZ. Been looking for one for a while and had a few people involved in this and luckily for me and unlucky for the owners there was an Auris that got written off down south and I managed to get this for a very good price.

To make this work, I have to do a few mods but nothing that is going to be a show stopper. It will also work nicely with the electronic speedo cluster that I have got out of the UK as well, just need to change the rpm bits on the cluster from a Camry to get the right pulse.

The selector cable will require a mod as well but once again, it is part of the price you pay when changing things around.

Good luck with the cert and great to hear that the unit is running well
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto)
When the Wife Allows: 2015 Toyota Highlander ZR (SOLD), ordered RAV4 Limited Hybrid TRD del April 2020
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

User avatar
Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shaun

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Mrman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:53 am

Interesting, thanks mate can’t wait to se it all together

User avatar
Alsw20
Guest of the Club.
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:56 pm
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Alsw20 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 am

lasersooby wrote:The tranny is out of the 2.0 Diesel Toyota Auris, amazing that the Evora's have this as the standard gearbox behind the supercharged 2GR. These things are like rocking horses at the moment in NZ. Been looking for one for a while and had a few people involved in this and luckily for me and unlucky for the owners there was an Auris that got written off down south and I managed to get this for a very good price.


Not just the Auris, the Corolla which was sold new in New Zealand with the manual D4 2.0 litre diesel had the same box. My aunt and uncle have one as a run around.

User avatar
Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shaun

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Mrman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 am

Alsw20 wrote:
lasersooby wrote:The tranny is out of the 2.0 Diesel Toyota Auris, amazing that the Evora's have this as the standard gearbox behind the supercharged 2GR. These things are like rocking horses at the moment in NZ. Been looking for one for a while and had a few people involved in this and luckily for me and unlucky for the owners there was an Auris that got written off down south and I managed to get this for a very good price.


Not just the Auris, the Corolla which was sold new in New Zealand with the manual D4 2.0 litre diesel had the same box. My aunt and uncle have one as a run around.

User avatar
Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shaun

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Mrman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am

Mrman wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:
lasersooby wrote:The tranny is out of the 2.0 Diesel Toyota Auris, amazing that the Evora's have this as the standard gearbox behind the supercharged 2GR. These things are like rocking horses at the moment in NZ. Been looking for one for a while and had a few people involved in this and luckily for me and unlucky for the owners there was an Auris that got written off down south and I managed to get this for a very good price.


Not just the Auris, the Corolla which was sold new in New Zealand with the manual D4 2.0 litre diesel had the same box. My aunt and uncle have one as a run around.


Are you lining it up for when/ if the motor fails haha

User avatar
Alsw20
Guest of the Club.
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:56 pm
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: Supercharged 2GR SW20 Project

Postby Alsw20 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:08 am

Put a manual box in my Blade Master G and really wake it up.