Number 2 MR2

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Bevan

Re: Number 2 MR2

Post by Trotbags »

While Red is waiting on some seals to arrive from Japan before I can kick on with getting the replacement engine ready to go in, I've managed to get a Paint shop (thanks CJay for the recommendations) sorted to return Yellow to being shiny. This morning she was picked up and I followed the truck down to the shop to discuss the finer details. There was a bit of the "obligatory" teeth sucking by the panel beating crew as they pointed out some imperfections that I hadn't noticed, but its one step closer to getting it back on the road!
Attachments
20201016_080023[1].jpg
20201016_080033[1].jpg
Silver lurking in the background after being let out of the shed for a run.
Silver lurking in the background after being let out of the shed for a run.
91 Turbo, 93 G, 94 G Limited, 96 Sonic Shadow.

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

Did a quick visit to the paint shop yesterday to see how Yellow was getting on. Pretty much done and the paint work is incredible. Hoping to get it back home next week so I can start putting the interior and exterior trim back on it.
Attachments
20201202_073740.jpg
20201202_073727.jpg

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Lookn' Mellow! :D :D - hopefully you get some one on one time with it over the Holiday break
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Mo

Post by lasersooby »

Looking really good mate, hopefully the yellow really pops in the sun :D :D :D
2017 Toyota Aqua G's
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto) - SOLD
When the Wife Allows: 2020 TRD RAV4 Limited Hybrid
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

Thanks . Because I bought the car without the interior/exterior trim fitted, one of the tasks over Christmas will be finding the right screws and bolts so I can reattach everything. Luckily I have some other SW20s I can use for reference!

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

Yellow was delivered home yesterday and looks incredible. Colling and Gray in Levin did the work and even supplied a stack of photos of the work they did. Really pleased with it.

In an earlier wanted post I was looking for a replacement windscreen and was advised by a couple of members on here to get a new one - fast forward and Novus in Levin charged me $430 including GST for a new screen - and that included a new windscreen surround and fitting.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Looking mint! And good luck with putting it all together
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

Thanks - I spent a bit of time in the weekend sitting in it "pretending" to be driving!

Luckily I can reference one of my other cars to figure out what goes where and in what order. Getting the right size bolts and screws will be the next task.

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

Day 2 of putting Yellow back together. For every 2 steps forward, I take 1 step back but I'm learning a lot about how the body and interior fits together - and what needs to be fitted first. For example, the centre console was fitted 3 times - first time was perfect until I realized that the heater controls fit under the console, second time was great until I discovered the temperature control was broken. Third time, with a replacement heater, and I can move on to the next bit of the puzzle. I am enjoying it though!
Attachments
20201230_173056.jpg
20201230_131932.jpg

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

Getting there piece by piece with Yellow. I found the 3 piece (actually 4 piece) spoiler needs a gasket or seal on the bottom where it sits on the boot and rear guards. As these aren't available, I grabbed some 6mm wide double sided tape from Total Bodyshop supplies in Palmy and stuck it to the underside of the spoiler and wings. I left the tape on the other side so it didn't stick to the body. One of the headlight switches was melted so a new plug was soldered in and headlights fitted - damn they are a tight fit getting them in. A good moment was grabbing an old boot lid from Kane up in Palmy for the boot latch, rubber bungs, spoiler mounts and corner rubber plugs. Next step is trying to unlock the seat belts that have retracted in a bit too far. Hopefully I can save them.

I took the Aquamarine SW20 for a blast the other day and noticed the brake lights stayed on when the car was parked. A quick Google search and I discovered it is a pretty common problem as the cars get older. There is a little plug the sits on the drivers side of the brake pedal that pushes against the brake light switch when not the brake isn't in use, keeping the brake lights off. When you push down on the brake pedal, it releases the switch and the brake lights come on. The little plug is plastic and over time gets brittle and breaks. Google suggested the remains of the plug would be sitting in the footwell - and it was. A new one from Toyota was $5.00 and, aside from lying upside down in the footwell like a contortionist to fit it, it was a simple fix.
Attachments
MR2 Brake light plug.jpg
Yellow 7 Jan 2020.jpg
Yellow 7 Jan 2020.jpg (245.68 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Yellow 2 on 7 Jan 2021.jpg
Yellow 2 on 7 Jan 2021.jpg (219.59 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

The weekend saw more progress on with the front bumper fitted after a fight with a mounting bolt that wasn't going in straight. Sidelights fitted with new bulbs. I also bought the rear window moulding trim from Nick on the MR2 club in the US - he managed to organise a short run of new PVC trim. That allowed me to fit the moulding along with the rest of the interior rear trim and the engine side covers. I've left the trim black at this stage as it compliments the rest of the revitalised black trim. The CarPro DLUX plastic stuff from Detail Depot is bloody fantastic for old trim.

It is starting to look like a car!
Attachments
20210124_102250.jpg
20210124_102225.jpg

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Looken real sharp. I quite like the yellow with nice black trim.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Works well with the REV1 colour scheme.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: James

Post by gruk »

Did you manage to get the seatbelts sorted? It’s a bit of a balancing act. I spent ages learning that trick when I replaced one a few months back, they need to be the right way up and at just the right angle to release. Quite a clever mechanism- I hate it :)
'90 SW20 NA - White NZ new T-Top

Trotbags
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Trotbags »

gruk wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:58 pm
Did you manage to get the seatbelts sorted? It’s a bit of a balancing act. I spent ages learning that trick when I replaced one a few months back, they need to be the right way up and at just the right angle to release. Quite a clever mechanism- I hate it :)
Yes! It is a complete bastard of a thing to sort - you literally have to mount it and then carefully jiggle it about 20 times to get it to slowly release extra lengths of belt without letting it retract back in. Many a curse word was said. I have grabbed another set and will replace the passenger one as it is very slow to retract.

The fun/curse is that there is a definite order in putting things back together as I've found out numerous times. On the plus side, it gives me a chance to clean the trim and rubber which has come up really well. Dishwashing liquid and an old toothbrush removes most of the crud.