Tom's GTLIMITED

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Tom

Re: Tom's GTLIMITED

Post by tomnomnom »

Got the exhaust all wrapped and turbo beanie on

Car can now come off the hoist while I sort out loom, ECU, injectors and other things like coolant hoses, radiator etc..

Still a while yet but I'm happy with the progress I've made in the past few months

Really need to paint the rest of the car too :lol:

Turbo beanie and heatwrap
Turbo beanie and heatwrap
Engine bay side shot
Engine bay side shot
Engine bay above shot
Engine bay above shot
Yes, those are more wheels
Yes, those are more wheels
AVS 5 16/17 stagger
AVS 5 16/17 stagger

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

Has to pull the dash out, the wiring in this car is a bit dodgy. There was an immobilizer installed which is now gone

Pulled a lot out which isn't being used
All speakers and sound system wiring gone

I need to fix the dash board up before I reinstall it

Dash out
Dash out

I tucked the body loom away under the centre console, mounted fuse box in behind passenger seat, extended and rerouted tail light loom to go through the rear fender.

Hole for tail light loom
Hole for tail light loom

Using wire to pull loom through
Using wire to pull loom through
IMG_20201023_171446.jpg
IMG_20201023_172027.jpg

Oh, I've also realized I haven't mentioned in this thread I did install a KAAZ LSD a couple years ago
Love it, definitely worth the money

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

Started doing more dumb shit

Always wanted to vent the radiator through the hood.
If you've ever been over 200km/h in your 2, you will know that front end starts floating...
Even the chicane at Taupo track can induce under steer with enough speed
Needed to reduce that lift! Perhaps even create front end downforce
Having proper ducting and flow will also aid in cooling, not that mr2's have much trouble in that department with all the coolant capacity but I'm still using that to convince myself this is a good idea 🀷

As always, i start working away and forget to take photos, but here is where I'm at:
Used the old radiator to mock up mounts out of alloy, and cut up some spare rad hose I had lying about.
Factory fans will no longer fit, but they are far too heavy anyway so will be purchasing some slim 10" ones
Leaned forward quite a bit..

New position for rad
New position for rad

The bottom sits about the same height as the old rad support (which is now removed via drilling out spot welds)
I will be making an undertray/ducting that seals to the bumper
And provide protection to the radiator itself as the car is very low

Front view
Front view

I've cut the bulkhead, 450x250
Not a huge hole, but hopefully enough to expell what is consumed

Vent hole cut and soft edged
Vent hole cut and soft edged

I wanted to make the exit ducting as straightforward as possible, and I didn't want a huge vent in the hood.
The ramp will start outside the frunk, so any rain water will not pool up in the wheel well and just land on the undertray
The hood cutout will be 450 wide too, but most likely a little taller

I figure with a raised section (like a gurneyflap) in front of the hood vent, the negative pressure zone will 'suck' the excess pressure being built up in front of the bulkhead just after the radiator and make up for the small vent size and such large radiator and entry
...but only time will tell

New radiator arrived

IMG_20201105_170915.jpg

Onto the ducting next, before I take the scary step of cutting the hood up :shock:

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

Revision 1
Revision 1
received_395339218173521.jpeg (205.91 KiB) Viewed 2572 times

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

This was revision 3 of the exit ducting
Thought it was okay

Revision 3
Revision 3

Sat to far back though so got cutting again and this is revision 4
Revision 4
Revision 4
Revision 4 inside view
Revision 4 inside view
Revision 4 extra bracing
Revision 4 extra bracing
I think this will be the final design, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out
Might paint it at some stage, or maybe just wrap it

Still got to get some fans
Under car view
Under car view
And make the inlet ducting, I'm out of material now though.
Not quite sure what I'll do with this, maybe a two story fin setup. Help push flow in the right direction
I don't want it to be too complicated though, and undo all the weight reduction I've done

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

I'm getting better at taking photos of things I've done, kind off haha
Cut the rough outline of the bonnet, still a lot to do
Undertray is done, fans are in, front bumper is boxed
And still have some fab to do in the engine bay before wiring begins

IMG_20201113_172804.jpg
IMG_20201115_113320.jpg
IMG_20201115_113341.jpg
IMG_20201115_113357.jpg
IMG_20201115_160452.jpg
IMG_20201115_204204.jpg

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Like your design and interested in final result once car painted, etc. Front bonnet air duct should be interesting to see. Others with a similar design have had it collect loads of leaves & debris when car not in use. Depending on your garage storage it might be wise to install a trap door to flush clear.

Is screamer pipe going to stick out though engine lid or do you have other plans to conceal? I seem to recall that its legal to have a screamer as long as its located behind passenger cabin.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

With those fans, you can cut out every second concentric ring to give more flow through them. They're quite restrictive - do a bit of calculation and you'll see what I mean.

You also need to make sure your opening is enough to let all the air through. I'm thinking that anything less then the size of the radiator won't be enough. I was talking to a guy at the 8 hour trackday I did on 1 November at Taupo, who races an SW20 in Lemons. They've done the same thing as you thinking it would hep with cooling but they now have overheating issues. By not having the opening the same size as the radiator, you are effectively reducing the size of the radiator to the size of the opening you've got. Well - that's my thoughts anyway!! :)
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

Benckj wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:10 pm
Like your design and interested in final result once car painted, etc. Front bonnet air duct should be interesting to see. Others with a similar design have had it collect loads of leaves & debris when car not in use. Depending on your garage storage it might be wise to install a trap door to flush clear.

Is screamer pipe going to stick out though engine lid or do you have other plans to conceal? I seem to recall that its legal to have a screamer as long as its located behind passenger cabin.
Id say it won't catch more it did before, but I do expect it to require maintenance

Not sure what I'm doing with the screamer yet, looking to get a muffler for it for the tuning. Would be bloody annoying on the Dyno haha

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

85AW20v wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:11 pm
With those fans, you can cut out every second concentric ring to give more flow through them. They're quite restrictive - do a bit of calculation and you'll see what I mean.

You also need to make sure your opening is enough to let all the air through. I'm thinking that anything less then the size of the radiator won't be enough. I was talking to a guy at the 8 hour trackday I did on 1 November at Taupo, who races an SW20 in Lemons. They've done the same thing as you thinking it would hep with cooling but they now have overheating issues. By not having the opening the same size as the radiator, you are effectively reducing the size of the radiator to the size of the opening you've got. Well - that's my thoughts anyway!! :)
Good advice, I will look into that
The exit is something that had concerned me, but I'll have to figure it out once driving.
Thought it's better to start it small and I can always make the exit ducting bigger

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I guess you want to create a lower pressure behind the radiator, not a higher pressure so it will allow air to flow though it less restricted.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The rule of thumb for sizing radiator inlets and outlets is 40% of the radiator frontal area for the inlet, and 60% for the outlet. The rationale is:
- the tubes and fins of the radiator restrict airflow to something around 40% of what you'd expect for the same area if there was no radiator there
- once the air has been through the radiator it should be a good 20-60 degrees warmer than when it came in, so to allow for this expansion you need more area than you did on the inlet.

Having said that, my similar setup has an outlet that is probably 40% of the frontal area of the radiator and I've not had a single issue with cooling. It's a fairly mild 3SGTE and I haven't done any track work though so take with a pinch of salt.

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

I've also taken into consideration that the air leaving the radiator is much hotter, therefore less dense and easier to remove
A sort of gurney flap at the beginning of the hood exit will create a negative pressure zone (similar to our the engine lid/roof line works) and help pull the hot air out from the radiator pocket

But this is all theory and I won't know till I take it out, but keep the info coming 😁

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

Drew up some ideas last night and brought it to life this afternoon

Figured Louvres, especially at the rear of the hood cut (and the front apron) will stop any airflow trying to lift the hood

And it looks kinda cool I think, I'll have it tacked underneath and seal it with urethane after paint maybe
Still deciding

But I took some pictures again, I'm getting better at remembering. I usually just get stuck in with the music loud haha

E30 boot lid laying about, cut it up to make this 🀭
Bent louvres straight at first, but decided on a roll as well
Used some 2.5inch pipe we had

Rolling louvres
Rolling louvres
Clamped pipe to bench
Clamped pipe to bench
Checking fitment
Checking fitment
Still needs a clean up but this will basically be it
Still needs a clean up but this will basically be it
IMG_20201118_194337.jpg
IMG_20201118_194343.jpg
IMG_20201118_195207.jpg
IMG_20201118_195158.jpg

Very happy with how it's coming out
And it's cost my under $100 for the whole thing
I needed a new radiator anyway so not included in price haha

Still need to make an apron for it, not sure what I'll do there yet ✌️

tomnomnom
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by tomnomnom »

IMG_20201119_191612.jpg

attachment=3]IMG_20201120_180255.jpg[/attachment]
IMG_20201120_183016.jpg
IMG_20201120_193351.jpg
IMG_20201120_193400.jpg
IMG_20201122_124507.jpg
Had to take it right back to metal, it's been sprayed a few times. Interesting to see what the rest of the car will be like

Smear bog it and prime it again then leave it till I'm ready to paint the rest of the car
Attachments
IMG_20201120_180255.jpg