BUILD: My love-hate relationship with the latest SW20

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: BUILD: My love-hate relationship with the latest SW20

Post by Benckj »

tooomanyprojects wrote:I might run that next time. I'll still need the friction modifier though as my diff is nuts.
I'd look into the 2 way LSD installed to find out what fluid will work with it. I know that they can be fairly tempermental which could limit your fluid choice. Early style TRD's used something similar being a clutch pack type but from what I know were not all that successful. The gen 3's are viscous but can produce mixed results as they pre-maturely wear out.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:
tooomanyprojects wrote:I might run that next time. I'll still need the friction modifier though as my diff is nuts.
I'd look into the 2 way LSD installed to find out what fluid will work with it. I know that they can be fairly tempermental which could limit your fluid choice. Early style TRD's used something similar being a clutch pack type but from what I know were not all that successful. The gen 3's are viscous but can produce mixed results as they pre-maturely wear out.
The GEN3 Viscous doesn't care what gearbox oil or friction modifier you use. It's a sealed unit and doesn't really wear out, the fluid inside just gets hot and stops working properly when driving for a while. They aren't the best sort of LSD anyway.
The TRD is a clutch pack type and these types can be noisy and do react to what oil you use.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Adam

Post by tooomanyprojects »

I'll have a look when I pull it out and then I can finally know which lsd it has. The only info I have is in this picture. Which isn't much help
received_701012356723430.jpeg
received_701012356723430.jpeg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 3746 times

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

The early factory open diff looks like that in the middle but so does a TRD LSD. The open diff should spin one wheel one way and the other the other way. But you've said it's noisy so it will be LSD. The viscous LSD you can see right through the diff.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.

Well everything seems to go wrong at once.

Managed to get 220kw on the dyno tune at 1.2bar, tapering back to 1bar by 7krpm. He coukd have pushed more but the intake temps were spiking.
Tuner reckons it's got an issue with 4cyl 3 intake valves. Either a bent valve or the seat/clearance isn't letting it close properly.

Also the drivers door loom had gone faulty so none of the window controls or central locking work.

Title seems appropriate haha

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Seem's like Tuner is running at quite a high RPM which is beyond the peak torque figure. Its hard on the dyno to get decent engine cooling as fan is generally pointed at front radiator rather than side vent. Is your A2W heat exchanger up front?

So what's the plan now?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.

Plan now is to figure out my next steps.

Either way I have to pull the box out. So I may as well do the head at the same time.

If I'm pulling the head again, do I get some porting done and just go all out with cams etc?
I still want a streetable car. And I'm at the point now where any futher money spent on mods is beyond what I can get for the car. (Car only owes me 8k at this point including the forged rebuild) so im wondering if i just fix it and then enjoy it.

I've got a lot to think about before make any decisions.

Be good to get other opinions though.

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.

On a side note. If people are wanting to see more photos or videos of the Car, my Instagram is too.many.projects

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.

Just an update,

Took the car away over Xmas. it was running great (apart from 4th gear) until it suddenly wasn't. struggled to idle, missing, running really rich and all 4 plugs fouled up.
this happened while driving in the rain, but never cleared up once everything was dry (don't know if its relevant but thought id add it anyway)

strange thing is once your are going, it seems to sort itself out. AFR at idle sits around 11.5-12.5 but once its cruising at 50-100 it would settle down at around 14.3-14.7 ish.
the link didn't throw any codes, and the tune hasn't changed, tried new plugs and new fuel but neither fixed it.
I will be pulling it apart anyway to fix 4th so I'm gonna pull the head and see if its the valve issue getting worse. (i hope nothing is too broken)

if anyone has any other things i can try, let me know. otherwise ill crack on and add some pictures. when i get it apart.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I wouldn't be tearing into the motor to fix an ignition problem. Could be in ignitor, dizzy or wiring if it effected all cylinders. Might even be a common injector ground not making contact.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.

I know I have valve troubles already, and I need to pull the box apart to fix 4th.

But ill give the ignition a good trouble shoot before I rip it completely apart.

Cheers.

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Shaun

Post by Mrman »

Do you live in feilding?

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.

I used to. I live out near bulls now. Whys that?

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Shaun

Post by Mrman »

tooomanyprojects wrote:I used to. I live out near bulls now. Whys that?
Was wondering if you were the guy I saw at the gas station, if you need a hand on the car let me know

tooomanyprojects
Guest of the Club.

Yeah mate, that's was me.

And cheers I might have to hit you up if i get myself in too deep