My 1990 MR2 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Twisties
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ben

Re: My 1990 MR2 GT

Post by Twisties »

Yeah the are good. They are Work Equip 05s. these are 16".

Possibly the best looking wheels for an MR2

Twisties
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Twisties »

It's been a while. Since I last posted a lot has happened with my MR2.

I decided to replace the engine with a gen 4. I wanted to do the conversion to a decent standard and update the look just a little at the same time.
Thanks to Connen and Simon at Canterbury Car parts for supplying the engine, a set of Tom's C7R wheels, and a gen 3 lip!
IMG_3985.jpg
The first thing was to get the new (to me) engine up on the stand and take off all the accessories. The gen 2 accessories transfer across and in my opinion fit better.
IMG_4300.jpeg
I removed the old engine from the bottom by lifting the car and dropping the engine and gearbox onto a dolly and pulling it out.
IMG_5219.jpeg
I replaced any gaskets and seals i came across and also the timing belt, tensioner, water and oil pump.

The exhaust manifold showed signs of leaking so this was ground down and a new gasket fitted. I had to helicoil a couple of the threads as I couldnt get enough torque. Here is the turbo mocked up with the freshly surfaced manifold. One custom part needed for the conversion is the downpipe.
IMG_5224.jpeg
I cleaned the engine up and painted the rocker cover. I ordered new intercooler pipes from Prime in the states to match up to my greddy style intercooler. I had to change a couple of silicon pipes to get it to fit but otherwise happy with the parts.
IMG_5276.jpeg
While the engine was out, I cleaned up the bay, removed a few bits that were now obselete and dropped the tak to change the pump for a Walbro 255. I also changed the filter. A custom fuel line was also required.

heres me preparing to raise the engine back in. I dragged the engine under the car then lowered the car onto stands and used the crane to lift it into place.
IMG_6557.jpg
Here is the engine reinstalled.
I was relieved that it started first time. I did have to solve some coolant leak issues. I ended up replacing the coolant tree with a new gen 3 part from Amayama.
IMG_7840.jpeg
I bought a full set of Bridgestone RE003's as a life insurance policy. The fitment of the Tom's was great. I love this look below but I had to raise the rear a little as the handling was suffering. I rolled the arches all round.
IMG_7854.jpeg
Here she is on her maiden trip. ignore the dodgy reverse light switch
IMG_8019.jpg
Currently the car is back in the garage as I need a new alternator. I would love to also replace the exhaust. the new Greddy system looks tempting but pricey.

Twisties
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Twisties »

One more picture of the front.
I sanded back the gen 3 lip and painted it with black textured bumper paint. I wanted it to look original but better at the same time.
IMG_8851.jpeg

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Mo

Post by lasersooby »

That's awesome mate, looking really good :D
2017 Toyota Aqua G's
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto) - SOLD
When the Wife Allows: 2020 TRD RAV4 Limited Hybrid
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

AllanB
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Allan

Post by AllanB »

Oh boy that's tidy, lovin your work bro!