"Lilith" long story of my 90 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Purplesw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: C'jay

"Lilith" long story of my 90 GT

Post by Purplesw20 »

So thought I should make a post. And got suggested to me aswell haha so here we go
Sorry it's probably gonna be super long

So this story actually starts with a mini of all cars. One I intended to fix up to sell for a profit to pay for a turbo deuce which happened else I wouldn't be writing this
So after selling the mini on the 9th or April I picked up a gt sw20. Well about 4 hours after selling the mini
So said mr2 is a fairly nice black GT mostly stock
Except for rims and a steering wheel well and a gen3 lsd box and gen3 shifter
So I picked up this car with a blown ct26 like the thug was completely missing the exhaust wheel. Damn ceramic shafts
The good thing about it tho is it had less than 200k ks and came with a rebuilt ct20b. So after a while I sorted some stuff on the car swapped the turbo made an amazing sounding exhaust which Is a stock down pipe with a gutted cat (will get a nice on e with a screamer made one day) is 2.5" to the smallest coby I could find then a 0.5M long stainless steel 3" tip. got it all legal. Of course because of my stupidity I didn't have a licence at this point (which I lost going fast in a n/a mr2 so buying a turbo probably wasn't the best idea) so couldn't even drive the car well I admit I did a few times (living out of town is great) so the car was going fine for a few month just small little thing stuffing out nothing major easy fixes.
I get my licence back and for about 2 months I'm daily driving the car and take it for spirited drives out back roads through windy roads by the river. And a few gravel roads but man that's sketchy
Had the boost at about 15-16psi at this point and man does this car move like damn and it chops every car it goes against. Like I payed piss all for this car compared to what others payed for there turbo cars and just wasted all the expensive turbo cars
Do the car got her name from a Jewish demon "Lilith" because man she was one fast angry car launched like an absolutely monster just hooked up and threw you into your seat
So a few month pass and I've done about 3k ks ish and I'm heading for a trip to masterton from levin to the burnout comps with a few other cars. on the way there is split a boost coupler so I tried to baby the car to get to masterton to buy parts. I was about an hour away
Car was running okay was super rich and fouled out the plugs on the way there. So chucked new joiners and clamps in it and new plugs. Went to the skids came back car started up just fine felt a bit slow but nothing major
Got home parked her up and sure enough go to start it up the next day
It starts up then makes a grinding noise and shuts off. My thought is crap she's blown. Won't start at all
Pull out the old compression tester and sure enough every cylinder was bad. Pulled the head and every cylinder was screwed big scratches from bore wash
So started pulling he motor and looking for a replacement. After a few days of looking and thinking I thought why not just go nuts and rebuild this motor with the good expensive forged parts and so the build begins
Motor is filled with the following parts and work
Cp 9:1 forged pistons
Eagle rods
Acl race main and big end bearings
Arp head studs, main studs and rod bolts
Cometic head gasket
Gates racing timing belt
Brand new oil pump assembly from prime mr2
Exedy 5puk clutch.
The whole rotation assemble from front pully to pressure plate was balanced
Crank was polished
Block steam cleaned and bored out to fit 0.5mm oversized pistons
Head was steam cleaned and all valves where reseated for maximum sealing to hold the big boost
Head was left stock for now I will be getting gen3 n/a cams at some point and some valve springs
So had all the parts and motor built and running within 3weeks of it blowing up
And it was running fine for about 300ks then I had a problem. I started it and it sounding like it was rodknocking. My heart sank
After a while of digging around in the motor I actually found the flywheel had come loose (my own stupidity) so slapped it back together tightened the flywheel and she was away again happily
Now another 1200ish ks pass and I'm taking a mate for a drive in it. Giving it some shit and it's boosting 15psi on the ct20b absolutely mint
Then suddenly the turbo starts to make a grinding noise and stops building any boost
So limped it home and the next day yanked the turbo and she had a bent shaft
So was out finding another turbo
Came across another "ct20b" that had a steel shaft aswell so jumped on it
Got it in the mail and as soon as I opened it I knew it was a ct26 so as you can expect I wasn't happy. So complained to the guy got some money back and though oh well may aswell use it. So also ordered a new intercooler kit and mamba wastegate actuator to go with it
So fast forward to wof a few days ago and the guy points out the turbo oil return rubber line is split. Those damn things are $134 from Toyota but had to get one anyway.
So got that all sorted car has been running for another 1500ish ks without much issue at all
Motors at about 3000k ks on the rebuild and going strong
Just have the wastegate with the "18psi" spring and it's getting about 13-14 psi which is enough to chop everything around here and the cars not even tuned yet just on a stock ecu

So current plans for Lilith are to put my evo 3 recaros in that I got for $15 for both seats. Absolute steal
I am actually thinking about replacing Lilith's she'll to a hard top from the Ttop but would want to do that in winter because Ttops in the summer are awesome
Also am about to do a full prothane bushing kit and will hopefully get adjustable suspension soon
Then it will be onto collecting parts for power such as cams and valve springs, injectors then a link. Get all that in and then get it tuned and one day maybe get a big turbo and go for more power

So that is my super long story of my ride and there's probably still more but it's long enough. Will update as more things happen to her
Will also add photos at some point but not sure if I can on mobile if not I'll do it on the computer at some point
1990 sw20 Manual beams swap
1990 sw20 turbo forged internals(sold)
1970 Austin mini clubman overbore 1275cc swapped
1996 st205 gt4 with a big turbo

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Re: "Lilith" long story of my 90 GT

Post by ClanFever »

Hey Cjay, good to finally see a build post from you :mrgreen:

You should be able to upload from your phone, when you make a post, at the bottom there is "attachments" and you can add photos one by one

Sounds like you were better off with that car then I would have been (it was offered to me for what seemed like a cheap deal!) - I don't have the space or know how to rebuild a motor at this time. Glad it's going well. Maybe you can keep the 19th of November free and come on a run we're doing around Kapiti?
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Purplesw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Purplesw20 »

ClanFever wrote:Hey Cjay, good to finally see a build post from you :mrgreen:

You should be able to upload from your phone, when you make a post, at the bottom there is "attachments" and you can add photos one by one

Sounds like you were better off with that car then I would have been (it was offered to me for what seemed like a cheap deal!) - I don't have the space or know how to rebuild a motor at this time. Glad it's going well. Maybe you can keep the 19th of November free and come on a run we're doing around Kapiti?
Yeah finally made a post haha. Wanna send me some details on the run? Hopefully I'll have my suspension sorted. Just bought some juddies so should have them in next week
Nah won't let me add photos on mobile I'll do it next time I'm on the computer

Purplesw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Purplesw20 »

Need to upload some pics but she just got new bushings all round and some neo-tech adjustable suspension. Sitting low as now looks mint

Purplesw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Purplesw20 »

right heres a bunch of random photos of lilith dont have a whole lot need to take more
Attachments
IMG_1263[1].JPG
IMG_0843[1].JPG
IMG_0885[1].JPG
IMG_0885[1].JPG (231.95 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
IMG_1306[1].JPG
IMG_1306[1].JPG (340.61 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
IMG_1259[1].PNG
IMG_1258[1].PNG
IMG_1256[1].JPG
IMG_1256[1].JPG (195.26 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
IMG_1169[1].JPG