The cursed SW rides again.

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

The cursed SW rides again.

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

After years sitting in the drive then sitting in the garage then sitting in long grass, The black SW is back on the road. Last time she was on the road was 2012 after clean sheeting a WOF. The water pump died on the way to the workshop form memory and the alternator died on the way home. The car had a replacement engine put in when we bought it and blew the head gasket on that then blew the radiator then the alternator then the water pump followed by the alternator again! at this point the motor was starting to sound a little sad in the bottom end so I parked her up.
Some time later I bought the white car pictured bellow for parts and went about stripping her for parts for our one. The motor and box went into the black car quite some time later and after putting in 3 different rear cross members that turned out to be shot I finally had the new heart in. From there it was getting it to run again and that turned out to be a mission so as I was busy with work and misc it got left again. We bought another house and left her to rot out the back of the old place until last week where I got it out of the back yard into the drive.
The rear brake was jamming up on one side when I last worked on it so I got that fixed then onto a trailer she went and off north it went to see what else was wrong with her. The clutch was being a hmmmm yea lets not got there, so that was the first thing attacked and after pumping the pedal it felt good and seemed to want to move the car so it was decided to try and drive off the trailer........FAIL! So it got to go for another ride on the trailer to its new home where it got washed and readied for a visit to a mate with a hell of allot more patience than me.
Yesterday she went back to town where it had the gearbox removed, the offending part causing all the problems fixed and put back together and just like that its moving under its own steam again :D
After all this time parked up everything still works that did when it was parked and the body is still in the same condition it was in when I bought it that is a miracle. So I drove her home last night and today it has had its missing wheel found and the wiper blades replaced along with the rad cover on the way to a WOF later this week.
So far she had a full JDM aftermarket exhaust (will be getting the rear section swapped for stock item as a bit loud for daily driving), Lowering springs and adjustable dampers, Lightend flywheel and new clutch, A for now anyway carbon fibre TOM's intake and the 16"wheels.
There is a full genuine TOM's Kit off the white car to come and she will probably get the 15"TOM's C3R's back once they have new rubber.
The interior is currently fairly stock with a MOMO wheel, some LED lights I forgot I had installed and the stereo that will now be getting some much needed amplification to support the big drivers the headunit is having a hard time feeding.
Not much more is planned for this car as it is just going to replace my daily and I still have the Twincharge AW and a hilux to finish. We are just happy it works and fingers crossed it still works in a years time because that would be a record for this car :\

The b*#!h herself
The b*#!h herself
DSCF1749.JPG (332.16 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
The long dead donor.
The long dead donor.
DSCF1635.JPG (120.37 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3sgte SW20 pain in the ass. Long gone
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jim

Re: The cursed SW rides again.

Post by Benckj »

Glad you got some mobility Mike after the run of failures. Sometimes these cars test your devotion and patience more than others.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

The times I wanted to put a axe though the roof of that thing! I think the fact that I loved driving it and it felt good on the road was the thing that saved it. I do regret not shipping the white one off to be fixed and re vined but oh well. The gt is still sitting looking mega sad..... Mold on the seats and steering wheel stuff growing on the outside. It will be getting the replacement seats put in given a good scrub down and then its off to get the turbo sorted and an assessment of the engine before deciding if its getting scrapped or sold.
Anyone know much about the wheels pictured on these cars? I know there Japanese wheels and they are staggered and would have to check but they are from memory two piece. There is a Yellow SW in nelson for sale with the same wheels looking at the photos and I am sure there not TOM's as the stickers say as they are not Ray's wheels so I know nothing about them. Will be going back to the C3R's when they are all cleaned up and sitting on new rubber so she will be sporting a decent part of the toms catalogue once done.
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Today I took it for a WOF and it passed :D ....... BUT on the way home the speedo cable broke at the gearbox and the check engine light is now going so assuming that the check engine light is speed sensor related but have not checked the codes yet.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

Mike n Rochelle wrote:Today I took it for a WOF and it passed :D ....... BUT on the way home the speedo cable broke at the gearbox and the check engine light is now going so assuming that the check engine light is speed sensor related but have not checked the codes yet.
You are making me scared to own these cars and expect them to be relatively reliable.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

DravidDavid wrote:
Mike n Rochelle wrote:Today I took it for a WOF and it passed :D ....... BUT on the way home the speedo cable broke at the gearbox and the check engine light is now going so assuming that the check engine light is speed sensor related but have not checked the codes yet.
You are making me scared to own these cars and expect them to be relatively reliable.
The oldest SW20s are approaching 30 years old. The newest are almost 20 years old. They are a project car for life.

If you want a reliable no nonsense car, buy a near new Corolla or Camry.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Like any old machine it all depends on how well it was maintained. I know owners who drive Model T's which are very reliable but doesn't remotely compare to anything modern.

Good on ya Mike saving another MR2 from the grave. Hope you make it up Central sometime and we can catch-up for a beer.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

That car has had a few owners and the previous one to me run the bottom end. The unfortunate thing about the 3s is there old and allot are not maintained to a decent standard that where the first two motors fell short. Thankfully this motor was from a well looked after car that was written off so I got lucky. Keep the oil topped up and changed regularly along with keeping the misc maintenance up to date and most motors will last for a very long time.
Next job is to address a couple of niggling issues like the blown door light and speedo cable along with fixing a suspect blown ext mani seal and going stock with the rear section of the exhaust.
FYI not having a front swaybar sucks :D
Might go for a cruze up you way in her sometime soon Jim once I have done a few more K's to assure its all good for road tripping again.
Might even get around to trying to organize a club run or two.

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

WOF REG and it still works! Thats a record for this car.
Just put a swaybar back in the front ex the donor and it is a larger unit than stock, It will be nice to not have the articulation in the front end any more :D
Decided to keep the exhaust on her for now and am going to fix the flanges that are leaking so it stops chuffing.
Still need to take the TOM's air box back off and have new plugs sitting to go in sometime.
Next will probably be the stereo as it sounds crap. Currently it has some fairly heavy fusion 6inch splits up front and a pair of Fusion 6x9's in the rear in the bins but the bins that were modded by the previous owner are not that flash and there is no bass so I am going to ditch them for a pair of Zeroflex 10's and a Zeroflex amp to sort the bass and the rest should be fine with the headunit crossover control looking after them.
Will take some pics soon and upload them.