mknz manages to make everything he owns leak

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: mknz manages to make everything he owns leak

Post by mickeyduck »

Hah...! I totally forgot there was a sensor there near the dipstick. Good spotting Michael. :mrgreen:
What is that 4 temp sensors on an auto AW...??? :shock:
Mind you the whole damned car is over engineered all to hell...
Which is a good thing cos I bet my 2013 GT86 won't last for 30 years like an AW can...!!! :lol:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Radiator switch for fans
Engine bay switch for fan
Water temp sender
Water temp for automatic overdrive
Water temp for ECU
I think there's another one near the last two too

This is why you had so many to plug in, aye? :P

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Yep 43 on the loom if I remember rightly. Cuckoo... :lol:

I can't wait until yours is running the right AF ratio. You're gonna love it with that over-boost pulley. An AW with as much pep as an SW turbo is a hoot. :mrgreen:

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Finally got a multimeter back today.

Headlight contractor relay and the power to it test good.
20180211_223051.jpg
Headlight control relay also tests good.
20180211_231849.jpg
Picked up a useful tool from work for getting inside the supercharger pulley.
20180211_221015.jpg
I only got to spend 20mins on it today.

I want to loosen the SC belt just a little a bit at a time til it complains then tighten it back up so it's not putting too much strain on the water pump bearing nor snap another belt. I will now carry spare belts and the tool just in case from now on though.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Changed the coolant temp sensor for the ECU, it ran horribly initially then cleaned itself up after 30 minutes on the way to to AGM. Still ran rich though and used probably about 10 l/100km. I'll have to have a look if the oxygen sensor was replaced.

Above 100kmph the wipers become less effective and at "13"+ kmph it's better to turn them off because at least then the wind drives it straight off, need those SW wings and some new frames

rajkumar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Omkar

Post by rajkumar »

mknz wrote:Above 100kmph the wipers become less effective and at "13"+ kmph it's better to turn them off because at least then the wind drives it straight off, need those SW wings and some new frames
at least your demister was working.. :shock: :shock:
too many cars

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

mknz wrote:Above 100kmph the wipers become less effective and at "13"+ kmph it's better to turn them off because at least then the wind drives it straight off, need those SW wings and some new frames
13+km/h in the rain. Ok.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Alsw20 wrote:
13+km/h in the rain. Ok.
Straight so no corners. Excellent drainage and heaps of tread on the tyres so no hydroplaning. No traffic so following distance is infinite. Totally different scenario to driving through the middle of town or on sketchy backroads

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

I would have reasoned just like that 15 years ago. Now I realise that doing those speeds even in the dry on a public road is pointless. No matter how empty.

rajkumar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Omkar

Post by rajkumar »

Alsw20 wrote:I would have reasoned just like that 15 years ago. Now I realise that doing those speeds even in the dry on a public road is pointless. No matter how empty.
So you drive your sports car('s) slow, Al?
too many cars

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

I obviously don't drive like a grandma, I do that enough in my daily but I also don't want to go flying over a hill to find someone else on my side of the road coming at me (been there done that). You might not believe it but I've never been pulled over nor had a ticket. I might be more of a grandma after I get my first ticket which I'll happily pay.

Either way, I want to drive through corners where I'm up and down the rev range, in and out of boost and it drinks fuel. Searching Charlie's thread I can't find anything about him trying the oxygen sensor so I'll test it and may end up getting on from work. I swear at some point he said he tried another one. More BGB tests it is when I have a spare few hours at home.

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

mknz wrote: As for the always on fan (drivers side). Only pulling out the No 1 relay turned it off but I suspect that's the power one. I couldn't get that radiator fan switch plug off with my fat hands. It seems like the aircon being removed causes two fans rather than one to stay on. Need the multimeter to test it through the relay wiring
Did you end up sorting this? there is a sensor that goes onto the original piping for the A/C near a canister in the frunk, I found when i removed mine i took the sensor off and left it plugged in, otherwise the fan goes, i guess you could probably just ground the plug otherwise

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

MR2GUY wrote:
mknz wrote: As for the always on fan (drivers side). Only pulling out the No 1 relay turned it off but I suspect that's the power one. I couldn't get that radiator fan switch plug off with my fat hands. It seems like the aircon being removed causes two fans rather than one to stay on. Need the multimeter to test it through the relay wiring
Did you end up sorting this? there is a sensor that goes onto the original piping for the A/C near a canister in the frunk, I found when i removed mine i took the sensor off and left it plugged in, otherwise the fan goes, i guess you could probably just ground the plug otherwise
Do you mind taking a picture of the wiring? I grounded the only plug I could see and there's no stock plumbing for AC in there.

I asked and the oxygen sensor has already been replaced

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

MR2GUY wrote:there is a sensor that goes onto the original piping for the A/C near a canister in the frunk
Yep I'm certainly interested in seeing what Cam's referring to, too. A pic would be great! :mrgreen:

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

MR2GUY wrote:there is a sensor that goes onto the original piping for the A/C near a canister in the frunk
As an air con guy by trade.... this will be a high pressure switch. Turning both fans on when the pressure/temperature is too high. Like an over-ride. I have no a.c. so can't take a picture for you. But you have 2 ali a.c. lines in the frunk. The small one is the high pressure side. The "canister" will be the drier/sight glass. An ali cylinder with a small round glass window ontop. About the size of your finger tip. In theory yes you can bridge it. (Close if normally open. Or vise versa) to correct the issue.
I never came across this issue pulling my a.c. out I guess as I had already rewired both fans to operate off the cooling system thermostat. But, when I did pull my a.c. out the fans would no longer run from the cooling system. So perhaps this is why, it over-rided the cooling fan circuit?
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator