Cai's Dream AW11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Cai
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cai

Re: Cai's Dream AW11

Post by Cai »

Yeah, certainly better found sooner than later!
mickeyduck wrote:As for "oval" if you mean the elongated hole in this picture it is supposed to be that way so you can lock the bolt up when the engine is sitting where it decides it wants to be. It's the last bolt you tighten when fitting engine mounts on an AW.
Oh, no I mean the actual mount is oval from the weight of the engine pushing on it while it was bent downwards from being held on by only one bolt! It's basically squished the part where I was going to put in the polyurethane inserts. Completely buggered, so I'll have to get a new one somehow. I assumed the elongated hole was normal, as there was no sign of damage to it.

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

http://www.matrixgarage.com/products/aw ... nt-plate-0

You need one of these, with a new nut welded to the back side of this Matrix garage reinforcement plate.
Probably be a few hours for a fabricator to get all setup and welded together if you're happy to still drive your car to one. With the above plate in hand, mind you. Bit of mucking around getting a solution saved with this plate.

Cai
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Cai »

Thanks! I'll be taking photos into a place to ask them about how they'd go about fixing it, so I'll mention that and see what they say.

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

flying_wedge wrote:http://www.matrixgarage.com/products/aw ... nt-plate-0

You need one of these, with a new nut welded to the back side of this Matrix garage reinforcement plate.
Probably be a few hours for a fabricator to get all setup and welded together if you're happy to still drive your car to one. With the above plate in hand, mind you. Bit of mucking around getting a solution saved with this plate.
I've been thinking about this as it's a common issue from what I have seen. (Not for me yet *knocks on wood) And probably made worse by my new engine. Has to be done! Bit of a job though as I expect no one will want to weld that close to a fuel tank in place?
But highly recommend it is reinforced not just repaired aye.
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by flying_wedge »

Local motorsport fabricator had no issue doing that for me with fuel tank inplace. Tig doesn't give any splatter and there is enough heat dissipation welding straight to a chassis rail.
Should be able to do in place :)

Cai
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Cai »

Unfortunately I don't know any good places to go to get work like this done. The couple that of places I've been recommended are either all booked up with insurance jobs or don't exist anymore. I might be able to get some friends of mine to help, as they've welded and such before, but I'd like to investigate some good shops. Any recommendations?

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Cai wrote:Unfortunately I don't know any good places to go to get work like this done. The couple that of places I've been recommended are either all booked up with insurance jobs or don't exist anymore. I might be able to get some friends of mine to help, as they've welded and such before, but I'd like to investigate some good shops. Any recommendations?
I believe you need someone who is certified to weld it to be WOFable. I can't recommend anyone to you though.

Cai
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Cai »

mknz wrote:I believe you need someone who is certified to weld it to be WOFable. I can't recommend anyone to you though.
That's only a problem if the WoF place knows/cares about it, right? I doubt the place I go will care. Plus, I believe you can still get everything signed off by someone who didn't do the work if you really need. As long as they're happy putting their name against the work to say it's up to standard.

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

flying_wedge wrote:Local motorsport fabricator had no issue doing that for me with fuel tank inplace. Tig doesn't give any splatter and there is enough heat dissipation welding straight to a chassis rail.
Should be able to do in place :)
Good to know! I should make some enquiries and get it done before my V6 rips mine out!
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by flying_wedge »

Mr-Paulio wrote:Good to know! I should make some enquiries and get it done before my V6 rips mine out!
In my opinion this is a good plan. Given that even stock engines can make this front mount slog out and crack, I'm not sure why more don't do it while it's preventative maintenance and simpler than after it's happened.