Yet another AW11 thread

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ricerocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Steph

Yet another AW11 thread

Post by ricerocket »

It was yeserday I decided to give my new little friend a good cleaning. I discovered many little quirks including some hidden rusty paches - something i'd almost turned into a little game.
Something else that sparked my curiosity, was a little sticker on the rear window. A club car? aaaaaaawesome!

Hello team, and meet my little a-dub! Perhaps someone recognizes this car from previous club events?! :)
This fine little gem became mine a mere 2 days ago. The ultimate goal for this car is to "restore" it with the exception of giving it a little low, some stiffening and of course the obligatory manual conversion!

The little asian of course has its problems.
The headlights don't fold down - due to a faulty relay
The drivers window doesn't wind up very easily. Sounds like the rails are skipping teeth, but not inspected.
central locking is dead
couple of minor rust spots, with one larger section underneath the passengers carpet.

Gone are the days of sifting through childrens toyboxes in the middle of the night for the "perfect" hot wheels toy. No more hiding in closets or having the police called on me :P
A few photos of the car attached, along with Gods disapproval of the window controls
Looking forward to meeting the team!! :)

Damn window controls! - God

Rust under the passengers carpet
Benefits of the headlights not folding down is i have a better indicator of how long the nose is!!!
slush. It seems to throw iteslf in neutral when coasting. horay premature brakepad wear!

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Yet another AW11 thread

Post by GDII »

Welcome to the forums. Nice little AW you got there.

Your window most likely has a broken gear, this is common and you can find upgraded parts online to fix it.

Rust, there is quite an issue with this in these cars and it does hide. Others will be able to point out the problem areas and where to look.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Are you sure it's popping in to neutral? Turn OD off, I know it can feel like it's in neutral but the rev gauge shows it's above idle rpm. On the motorway in 4th gear it should drop to 2,500rpm

ricerocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ricerocket »

decided to clean out all the dirt and dust hidden in the car today. While the car was in bits I also removed the drivers window and motor to have a closer inspection

GDII you were spot on. there were a big chunk of missing teeth on the gears!!

@mknz: in regards to the car popping into neutral or not, I'm not too sure, when i take my foot off the throttle the car drops to around 1k. I assume its in something similar enough to a neutral? i've not driven many autos so admittedly I don't really know how older style autos behave. Just assumed this is just the 80's way of automatics. if this is a sign the transmission is on its way out then i'll happily take it and either move to a manual conversion or find some rough manual and swap the good bits over :P

ricerocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ricerocket »

well! it's been a couple weeks and a few new developments!
Unfortunately my cellphone drew its last breath around the same time also so i don't have any photos to document so please bear with me in this tough time!

the little rocket didn't take too well to being parked outside when that rainstorm hit a couple weeks back. I've discovered that there is a hidden leak somewhere that's dripping in just behind the windscreen. I'm suspecting water is either getting in just behind the passenger monsoon, or through one of the seals on the back of the roof. I've not torn down the car yet so can't confirm.
Also, i suspect water somehow got into the radio as that is now officially dead. been keeping it in a dry room for a few days with no success. so I've disposed of that and now am on the lookout for a replacement OEM radio.

There's a couple of parting AW's that i'm tempted to go look at. I've just purchased a couple bits for my motorbike so holding off a little bit as to not blow my budget too far just yet! but its now getting more and more reasonable to just buy a wrecked manual aw11 that I can just take what I need to make mine as original and tidy as possible.

In other news, I managed to stumble across a few photos of my very first AW11. was a VERY bad purchase i made under pressure about 4 years back. It was an 84 manual if i remember right, but as you can tell in the photos, i really did bite off more than I could chew. This one came to its end about 2 months into ownership. Long story short, a friend took it out and wrote it off, then scrapped/ sold the car without my knowledge and pocketed the profits. safe to say I pick my friends a little better now. Photos for anyones enjoyment!

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hi Stephanie

That old green one of yours SN5230 was my Car for about a year and was a spares car for a red one I had . I sold it and the hassles I had with tickets from other people . Death threats for a perceived dodgy warrant. I am glad the devil spawn of an Aw is well dead
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

ricerocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ricerocket »

Well.... oops..
I swear i only intended to buy it as a parts car... BUT ITS SO CLEAN.
Photos really dont do the car justice, there is NO rust at all that I could see, aside from a ding in the pass rear quarter that started to rust up, the engine has blown, but the car comes with a silvertop with ITB's and all electrics (apparently came out of a racecar that used it for the whole of a week before he changed it out due to being moved into the 2l Turbo class)

Couple of photos of the vehicle attached. Given how tidy it is (and it really is tidy) im going to go about getting an engineer or whoever you need to get the car looked over and decide from what he comes back with whether its worth restoring and re complying this car, or sticking with the original plan and converting/ cleaning up my one.

on that nice little note, are there any compliance engineers or similar that would be best recommended to inspect this vehicle? Preferably in Auckland :)

ricerocket
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ricerocket »

Update time!
The red rocket unfortunately snapped a distributor rotor so has been off the road for a couple weeks waiting new bits.
In an unexpected turn of events a newlywed couple have decided they want to buy the red car off me and turn it into their first "project car" together. a little sad but all the while exciting! Plus I can't deny the extra cash wouldn't be helpful with the current build!

In other news the blue machine got its punctured heart removed over the weekend!
Was a bit nerve racking as it was the first engine swap I took lead on, but seemed to have worked out pretty well! all that's left before putting the new motor in is a good clean out of the car, removal of the gearbox from busted engine and HOPEFULLY should just plug and play!

A few photos, along with one of my assistants giving the poor blue machine a very undeserved wedgie!
Before
After
Slammed lyf
unflattering position to make removing the broken heart a little easier
Valentines day didn't go so well for this poor little 4age

Managed to bully my flatmate into using the hoist this weekend so that should make the transfer MUCH easier. Now onto watching installation videos. Cause i may have forgotten what bolts go in where... LOL