Jabeo's 1992 MR2 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Jabeo's 1992 MR2 GT

Post by GDII »

I use a car paint shop, Total Body Shop here in Wellington. https://totalbodyshop.co.nz/
Ask around for paint shops or crash repair shops in your area that have a paint mixing facility.

For wax, I use Chemical Guys Wheel Wax like you've seen. You could use a normal car paint wax however wheels get hot and way more dirty than the paint normally does so a specific wheel wax is most likely the best thing here if you care about the look of your wheels for the future. AMMO Gelee is another but I can't see it on the AMMO website. Take your pick from plenty of products out there.
https://www.detaildepot.co.nz/product/c ... lant-8-oz/

The other product that might be of use is CarPro DLUX or a similar clear ceramic coating. This provides an extra layer of protection to the colour and can be buffed off if it gets really bad. This is also hydrophobic so makes cleaning wheels even easier. I haven't put it on my wheels yet but it is on my brake calipers and other external black trim on the car and it makes cleaning way easier. It would make your black side trim come up really well, as well as the black around the rear lights.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:I use a car paint shop, Total Body Shop here in Wellington. https://totalbodyshop.co.nz/
Ask around for paint shops or crash repair shops in your area that have a paint mixing facility.

For wax, I use Chemical Guys Wheel Wax like you've seen. You could use a normal car paint wax however wheels get hot and way more dirty than the paint normally does so a specific wheel wax is most likely the best thing here if you care about the look of your wheels for the future. AMMO Gelee is another but I can't see it on the AMMO website. Take your pick from plenty of products out there.
https://www.detaildepot.co.nz/product/c ... lant-8-oz/
Thank you mate, always with great input. I will have a look around if i decide to undertake this. If it doesnt work out i have a friend whose dad does paint and panel beating for a job who could help me out.

Today i bought 4 new platinum spark plugs and an Oil filter for my car from the toyota dealership using my new membership card :) was very pleased. I intended also to get a fuel filter but they said they did have any in the country for me? Would i be better off getting a similar alternative from somewhere else?
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

GDII

Post by GDII »

If it's not urgent and they can still get the filter I normally get them to bring a part in. That doesn't cost anything to do so. Normally they say a 3 week wait but can come in quicker than that. I've not really had to wait much more than 2 weeks for most parts.

What plugs were they? Coming from Toyota they should be the correct type but you never know.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:If it's not urgent and they can still get the filter I normally get them to bring a part in. That doesn't cost anything to do so. Normally they say a 3 week wait but can come in quicker than that. I've not really had to wait much more than 2 weeks for most parts.

What plugs were they? Coming from Toyota they should be the correct type but you never know.
The part number on them is PK20R8 if that helps with anything?

GDII

Post by GDII »

That's the correct plug. A Denso. The other option is the NGK BKR6EIX-11. Same heat range and gap with an iridium tip. The BKR6E is copper but still works. They just don't last as long but they are very cheap. Nothing wrong with them as copper is a better conductor.

Don't use a Bosch plug as they don't have correct heat ranges for Japanese cars.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:That's the correct plug. A Denso. The other option is the NGK BKR6EIX-11. Same heat range and gap with an iridium tip. The BKR6E is copper but still works. They just don't last as long but they are very cheap. Nothing wrong with them as copper is a better conductor.

Don't use a Bosch plug as they don't have correct heat ranges for Japanese cars.
Awesome thanks, will remember that. Will definitely stick with the toyota plugs in the future.

Today i got round to changing my oil, oil filter and spark plugs. My friend jacked the car up while i undid the sump drain plug, and let it flow into an oil pan when we let it back down. While we did this we got to doing the spark plugs which was a bit of a mission when i have never worked on a car like this in my life. Obviously we had to get the throttle body out of the way so we took off some intercooler piping and undid 4 bolts holding the top of the throttle body to the manifold. Unhooked the throttle cable and it came off. From left to right:
1) Removed ignition lead, removed spark plug, usual corrosion from lack of changes
2) Removed ignition lead, removed spark plug, This one had oil on the thread as well as the top half above the threads
3) Removed ignition lead, removed spark plug, This one had oil on the thread as well as the top half above the threads
4) Removed ignition lead, removed spark plug, usual corrosion from lack of changes
28053420_1551647504888935_1006710783_n.jpg
28053420_1551647504888935_1006710783_n.jpg (142.56 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
There was concern over the two middle plugs. We thought it might be piston rings, so we wound engine over with a rag above one of those two holes and no oil squirted out. We think it may be the valve cover/rocker cover gasket may be leaking inbetween those two plugs. We got a second opinion from my girlfriends father (an old rally driver) he says its not uncommon for oil to show up there, and that the gasket could be the problem. I said i would ask here to see what you guys thought.

Put everything back together, put sump plug back on and replaced oil filter, loaded it up with some 10w40 valvoline full synth oil, around 4L total after we let it run for a bit. just below full now :)
Car ran well, no smoking which leads me to believe there isnt an oil leak in the cylinders.

Today i also got my valentines day gift from my girlfriend, an OEM shifter boot from puremr2 in australia, it looks so great and completes the car. previously there was nothing there
28116870_1551647501555602_534372513_n.jpg
28116870_1551647501555602_534372513_n.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
28117545_1551647508222268_132812864_n.jpg
28117545_1551647508222268_132812864_n.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Oil on plugs is from leakage around valve cover gasket. Tighten or better yet replace the screws with hex head bolts and that will fix.

Top up the oil in engine to 1/2 litre over full mark. These engines suffer from oil starvation if run low or through hard cornering. Keep it topped up!
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

Benckj wrote:Oil on plugs is from leakage around valve cover gasket. Tighten or better yet replace the screws with hex head bolts and that will fix.

Top up the oil in engine to 1/2 litre over full mark. These engines suffer from oil starvation if run low or through hard cornering. Keep it topped up!
Ah I see, so not a major fix then? Thank you kindly for that :D I will check oil level today after work and then top up as needed

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Not major at all. Bet most of the VC screws will be loose but can be hard to reach and tighten correctly. That is why it’s best to replace with hex head kit. Not sure who has here so hopefully others can assist.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

Benckj wrote:Not major at all. Bet most of the VC screws will be loose but can be hard to reach and tighten correctly. That is why it’s best to replace with hex head kit. Not sure who has here so hopefully others can assist.
Okay so its just a matter of locating them and just re torquing them down to seal it all back up.

For those of you who dont know, which is probably all, my MR2 is actually my first manual car, as i have never learned to drive manual. Some people say "why an MR2 for your first car, they can be dangerous" etc. I wanted this to be my first manual car because i love them so much, i wanted a car that can be a challenge to drive, a challenge to work on and learn but also be a big bundle of fun to use. I have been practicing driving with my girlfriend since i got the car early january, always having someone in the passenger seat. Today while she was at work i decided that i needed to try this on my own, so i hopped in and drove to the petrol station and back which is a few kms away. A few 100 to 60km sections, 3 roundabouts and nothing went wrong, no stalls :) normally i find taking off at a reasonable pace quite difficult, but today it felt natural so i am very proud of myself and thought everyone should know lol

Here are some pictures i took while i was out, which you can also see on my instagram if you want to follow me
Attachments
28171020_1553220858064933_804911817_o.jpg
28171130_1553220851398267_620043817_o.jpg
28207708_1553220848064934_353368993_o.jpg

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

You'll never regret learning to drive a manual. Well done Jabeo.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Driving in traffic will teach you how to take off pretty quickly, especially after you've stalled when you're the first at the lights :lol:

In all seriousness though I found driving through traffic in a manual made me do it nearly subconsciously in about a month. You need to be confident enough to drive in traffic though and initially take your time because otherwise you'll get frustrated making you stall making you frustrated ...

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

nightz wrote:You'll never regret learning to drive a manual. Well done Jabeo.
Thank you! that means a lot :)
mknz wrote:Driving in traffic will teach you how to take off pretty quickly, especially after you've stalled when you're the first at the lights :lol:

In all seriousness though I found driving through traffic in a manual made me do it nearly subconsciously in about a month. You need to be confident enough to drive in traffic though and initially take your time because otherwise you'll get frustrated making you stall making you frustrated ...
Yeah hahaha, sometimes there is a little sense of panic over making the person behind you wait for too long. Drove the car to work and back and there were no major issues. Sometimes its just hard going into first when rolling in neutral

GDII

Post by GDII »

Jabeo wrote:Yeah hahaha, sometimes there is a little sense of panic over making the person behind you wait for too long. Drove the car to work and back and there were no major issues. Sometimes its just hard going into first when rolling in neutral
That potentially sounds like shifter cable or linkage bushes however your car has low Kms so maybe not. Best mod for this issue if it exists is spherical bearings on the gearbox end of the cables and rotating the square bush on the gearbox linkage. Do you get excessive movement in the gear lever before it actually starts shifting? Or a lever that moves a bit too much when in gear?

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Shouldn't really be trying to shift into 1st while car is rolling as there is no syncro for this gear.
Has anyone shown you how to use the handbrake for hill starts?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car