Jabeo's 1992 MR2 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Jabeo's 1992 MR2 GT

Post by GDII »

Gen4 has lots of better thanks but when you start to lean on it you still are able to break them. Add forged pistons and rods and you've got a good setup with a new ECU, injectors and turbo. Stay with the GEN2 for now.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Agree with everyone else.

Better upgrading fueling and getting an aftermarket ems. Gen 2 is still ok. Gen 4 swaps are ideal when you don't already have a turbo motor!

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

Mr-Paulio wrote:You could always just upgrade the fuel system, and COP ignition system on yours. Then it's basicly a gen4 right?
After market ECU and it sounds like it would even be better?
Cheaper and easier also. And seems a shame to see all the work you've done to that engine become obsolete?
GDII wrote:Gen4 has lots of better thanks but when you start to lean on it you still are able to break them. Add forged pistons and rods and you've got a good setup with a new ECU, injectors and turbo. Stay with the GEN2 for now.
4CylinderSpecial wrote:Better upgrading fueling and getting an aftermarket ems. Gen 2 is still ok. Gen 4 swaps are ideal when you don't already have a turbo motor!
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice, and apologies if i didnt really make it clear in the video but what i meant to say is that i want to upgrade the fuel system eg: fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail and get an EMS all on my Gen 2 engine and stick with it for a long while and squeeze some good power out of it.

Not immediately but sometime in the next few years id like to pick up a spare gen 4 block and starting building it up with some forged rods and pistons and a g series turbo as a side project. Its pretty here nor there in the gen 2 vs gen 4 argument however personally i think the gen 4 looks a bit better and no one really often does built gen 4 set ups, usually just stock for stock swaps, and gen 2 is usually always the standard for built engines. For me its not really a case of easier/cheaper i just have a vision in my head of how i want my car to look and perform. Almost every part ive bought for my gen 2 ive actually tried to ensure it can be reused aswell. However as i said in the vid these are just future goals and ideas and not my plans for the engine and car this year or anytime soon. so ill cross that bridge when i get to it :lol:
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

Its been a while since my last video but im back! with an update on the car and all the grief it has been giving me over the last few months, a few breakdowns later and a couple of new parts, The car is finally at a point where i am happy with how its running, so tune in to find out whats been happening!

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Hi mate great video once again. So you sorted the misfire in the end with the grounding issue? Such a simple zero dollar fix!

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

It will be good following your gen4 build when you get around to it. I like the COP and turbo options with an A2W IC.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

Hey Everyone! Yet another video from me, this time i go ahead and install some spherical bearings for my shifter cables, a simple how to, but not without issues :shock: I can already tell from a little bit of driving that it has made a difference in the way the shifting feels. Check it out if you would like, let me know what you think :) sub if you havent already done!