Jabeo's 1992 MR2 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Re: Jabeo's 1992 MR2 GT

Post by mknz »

If you're rolling down a hill you could skip to second after the speed gets to ~10kmph.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

mknz wrote:If you're rolling down a hill you could skip to second after the speed gets to ~10kmph.
Benckj wrote:Shouldn't really be trying to shift into 1st while car is rolling as there is no syncro for this gear.
Has anyone shown you how to use the handbrake for hill starts?
Yeah I think I should just skip 1st and go to 2nd anyway, I think I just fear stalling if I am real slow and then need to start moving again. Nah no one has shown me yet, but I imagine I will need to know in the future
GDII wrote: That potentially sounds like shifter cable or linkage bushes however your car has low Kms so maybe not. Best mod for this issue if it exists is spherical bearings on the gearbox end of the cables and rotating the square bush on the gearbox linkage. Do you get excessive movement in the gear lever before it actually starts shifting? Or a lever that moves a bit too much when in gear?
Nah I think the shifter feels normal for what it is, some of my friends have driven it and said that it feels pretty standard. So I imagine there is no real issue
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

You just hold the hand brake up with the button in, as you take off you drop the handbrake OR you heel toe (harder)

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

Today i took my car in to get a WOF and failed on my rear pads being a bit worn. What are some peoples recommendation for pads for just regular daily driving? Just go to toyota and get the genuine ones for the car?

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Jabeo wrote:Today i took my car in to get a WOF and failed on my rear pads being a bit worn. What are some peoples recommendation for pads for just regular daily driving? Just go to toyota and get the genuine ones for the car?
The genuine ones are alright but I'd recommend the znoelli, they make a little noise but they honestly make a huge difference. I paid about 80-90$ for the genuine rears in 2014 but I think NST would be quite a bit nicer to you and would probably give you a price comprable to aftermarket pads of similar quality (to the stock).

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

mknz wrote:
Jabeo wrote:Today i took my car in to get a WOF and failed on my rear pads being a bit worn. What are some peoples recommendation for pads for just regular daily driving? Just go to toyota and get the genuine ones for the car?
The genuine ones are alright but I'd recommend the znoelli, they make a little noise but they honestly make a huge difference. I paid about 80-90$ for the genuine rears in 2014 but I think NST would be quite a bit nicer to you and would probably give you a price comprable to aftermarket pads of similar quality (to the stock).
Which model Znoelli? I find the SP500 need a bit of heat in them to work well but I do have a 1" master cylinder and Teflon braided hoses so a very stiff pedal feel and from cold they don't work as well as a dedicated road pad.
However great for the track which is why I bought them. Maybe it's my brake setup that makes it feel a bit weak from cold. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I ran Ferrodo Xcel pads on the front for many years and worked well with my small 1990 brakes. Now running 92+ JDM or 93+ turbo brakes as the USA call them. There are plenty of pads out there but Znoelli would be near the top of my list.

http://www.znoelli.co.nz/Products/BrakePads

The .01C Ceramic might be the best pad from their range.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:Which model Znoelli? I find the SP500 need a bit of heat in them to work well but I do have a 1" master cylinder and Teflon braided hoses so a very stiff pedal feel and from cold they don't work as well as a dedicated road pad.
However great for the track which is why I bought them. Maybe it's my brake setup that makes it feel a bit weak from cold. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I ran Ferrodo Xcel pads on the front for many years and worked well with my small 1990 brakes. Now running 92+ JDM or 93+ turbo brakes as the USA call them. There are plenty of pads out there but Znoelli would be near the top of my list.

http://www.znoelli.co.nz/Products/BrakePads

The .01C Ceramic might be the best pad from their range.
So in your opinion, you would suggest the .01 Ceramic pads over something like those SP500s? It would mainly be for regular daily driving with a few stretches of slowing down from 100km an hour as i drive to and from class, and school etc. I guess the only way for me to have an opinion on my preference would be to get my own and try them out

GDII

Post by GDII »

For normal road use and based on comments from other SP500 users on the road about the dead cold braking I would go for the .01C. My cold brake feeling might be far more exaggerated due to my master cylinder being 1" rather than the 15/16" of what you have in your car. I'm thinking of going back down to the 15/16" master cylinder to make it feel less stiff.

Don't get me wrong, the SP500 is a great pad but for a newer manual MR2 driver like you with far more power than me something that will bite better from dead cold would be a better option. I loved the pads on the track and never had any fade issues with them at all and for spirited driving where the heat will remain they are great.

These comments are all based on my experience with them and the way my car reacts to them with its setup. It may be different for other setups. I had plenty of stopping power with my smaller brakes and slightly 'upgraded' pads so no need to go to a track based pad for your driving. Pricing on the SP500 is around $240 a full set from North Shore Toyota with our club discount so the .01C pads will be cheaper.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

I have never had a warming up problem but I have an auto and have to drive about 3 mins before I get to a main road where I might have to brake more than lightly. I never purchased them but for that price the genuine rear are a lot more economical (you can still stop fast with those)

GDII

Post by GDII »

mknz wrote:I have never had a warming up problem but I have an auto and have to drive about 3 mins before I get to a main road where I might have to brake more than lightly. I never purchased them but for that price the genuine rear are a lot more economical (you can still stop fast with those)
That's $240 for 4 corners. Not just the rear pair.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:
mknz wrote:I have never had a warming up problem but I have an auto and have to drive about 3 mins before I get to a main road where I might have to brake more than lightly. I never purchased them but for that price the genuine rear are a lot more economical (you can still stop fast with those)
Are there any sort of things i should be taking into consideration when looking at pads, such as my caliper size and the size of the pad? because i assume that you can get bigger pads for bigger brakes. i would think there is a standard sized brake pad in the market to fit most makes of cars right? i could pick up a pair of rear znoelli pads for my car from BNT in hamilton right, which would let me use the club discount? as i think on their site they list BNT as one of their resellers, and they do an Mr2 club discount

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Jabeo wrote:
GDII wrote:
Are there any sort of things i should be taking into consideration when looking at pads, such as my caliper size and the size of the pad? because i assume that you can get bigger pads for bigger brakes. i would think there is a standard sized brake pad in the market to fit most makes of cars right? i could pick up a pair of rear znoelli pads for my car from BNT in hamilton right, which would let me use the club discount? as i think on their site they list BNT as one of their resellers, and they do an Mr2 club discount
There are over 2000 unique brake pad part numbers using a common Australian catalogue and that only covers some cars. There is manufacturer re-use which is why quite a few are common for a period of cars with similar braking requirements. The good news is that most parts store carry the most common 200 at least and if they don't it's pretty likely you can still get them the same or day within a couple. The catalogues are normally accurate for our cars, the only thing you'll need to know is the year. Yes, they'll probably look after you considering we have a few members there. If you take your old pads there's no excuse for them to stuff it up.

GDII

Post by GDII »

The JDM cars we have in NZ have 2 sets of brakes but only 3 sets of brake pads. Have a quick recap of this post about my brakes to find the info. Part numbers, sizes, all the stuff you need to know.
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 70#p130601

NST sell the pads cheaper than BNT. I bought pads and fluid from NST and rotors from BNT. But my rotors are the DDS slotted and dimpled though so rather expensive. BNT sell stock rotors for a good price if you ever need them. MRP (Manon Racing Products) will sell you Brembo stock replacement rotors for a good price too.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

GDII wrote:The JDM cars we have in NZ have 2 sets of brakes but only 3 sets of brake pads. Have a quick recap of this post about my brakes to find the info. Part numbers, sizes, all the stuff you need to know.
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 70#p130601

NST sell the pads cheaper than BNT. I bought pads and fluid from NST and rotors from BNT. But my rotors are the DDS slotted and dimpled though so rather expensive. BNT sell stock rotors for a good price if you ever need them. MRP (Manon Racing Products) will sell you Brembo stock replacement rotors for a good price too.
Am i able to email north shore toyota and order them that way? or do i have to provide proof of club membership cause i dont have a number or something. I read up on your posts and they were actually very helpful, its almost like a knowledge base for me now.

Has any one here read the MR2 Performance book by terry heick? I got it a while before i got my car and i treat it like a bible, i have read it multiple times and i never lose interest. I take it with me wherever i go, and it has taught me so much about my car and cars in general. If you havent read it, i really recommend it

GDII

Post by GDII »

Yes just email Nick and let him know you are part of the club.