tw2's mr2 - the journey to a clean 2

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Re: tw2's mr2 - the journey to a clean 2

Post by mknz »

GDII wrote:Wait what?!! Toyota made you a part for a 28 year old car? Must have cost a fair amount!
I swear I posted this before, but Toyota continues making some parts regardless such as the cowl. The more regular maintenance things rather than things that are supposed to last forever.

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Yep, they are good like that. I thought it was great value for money, not as expensive as one might think either.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

I am having trouble finding the longer bolts for the third mounting point of the swaybar re-enforcement plates. I have a couple of leads from fastener shops in Auckland, waiting to hear back via email as no one answers their phone in Hamilton. It seems fine thread grade 10.9 tap bolts are not as common as we would like.

I might put the old cowl on until I confirm the wipers are functioning 100%. I don't want to keep taking the new one on and off if there are issues with the linkage. Not perfect but so so much better...
Wiper linkage 2.JPG
Wiper linkage 3.JPG
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

tw2 wrote:I am having trouble finding the longer bolts for the third mounting point of the swaybar re-enforcement plates. I have a couple of leads from fastener shops in Auckland, waiting to hear back via email as no one answers their phone in Hamilton. It seems fine thread grade 10.9 tap bolts are not as common as we would like.

I might put the old cowl on until I confirm the wipers are functioning 100%. I don't want to keep taking the new one on and off if there are issues with the linkage. Not perfect but so so much better...
Wiper linkage 2.JPG
Wiper linkage 3.JPG
If you have trouble sourcing them let me know. I just supplied a whole lot with my plate kits. M10x1.25x40 long grade 8.8. You don't need the thread to go all the way to the base.
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p137482
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Thanks. I didn't know you had made a pile of the plates or I definitely would have bought them from you. I can get 8.8 easily enough, I am just anal about this stuff. I would ideally like some 10.9 as they are supposed to be torqued somewhat. I am pretty sure they stock ones are high tensile. Allfast might have the answer. Fortress had 8.8 but I didn't like the shallow head on them.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

tw2 wrote:Thanks. I didn't know you had made a pile of the plates or I definitely would have bought them from you. I can get 8.8 easily enough, I am just anal about this stuff. I would ideally like some 10.9 as they are supposed to be torqued somewhat. I am pretty sure they stock ones are high tensile. Allfast might have the answer. Fortress had 8.8 but I didn't like the shallow head on them.
My brother is an engineer and he made and/or supplied all the parts for the kits. 10.9 is pretty excessive for this.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2

Post by tw2 »

GDII wrote:10.9 is pretty excessive for this.
I agree but I can't help myself. All of the stock suspension bolts are 10.9 and yes I would say this is one of the least critical parts. But my car is up on jackstands until stuff arrives from Japan so I have more than enough time to get some. Looks like Allfast might have some, they are $5 each. If it doesn't work out I will get 8.8 and be happy but $5 vs $3.50 doesn't make too much difference.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Does anyone happen to know which wiper blade should be the slightly longer one? Is it the drivers or passenger side?
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Driver's side

tw2

Post by tw2 »

mknz wrote:Driver's side
Awesome, thanks. Paint needs another couple of days to fully cure but should look heaps better.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Finally got the carpet, seats, boot and floor matts professionally carpet cleaned. They turned from greasy black, brown and grey to black and blue. I highly recommend especially if you got your car recently. Kind of disgusting what came out.
Coming along001.jpg
Coming along002.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Got all the bolts I need from Toyota. Everything that looked a bit rubbish was replaced. Three rear engine mount bolts, one messed up subframe bolt and everything for the rear swaybar.
Coming along003.jpg
I had to use a breaker bar the entire way out for this one. Luckily the new one went in with just the normal wrench so I presume the threads in the frame were not too ruined.
Coming along004.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

All coming together. The rear of the car is back on the ground. I am not a big fan of shoving a universal front bush in the rear mounts but apparently that is how it has to be if you have anything other than 19mm swaybars (mine are 18mm). I might get whiteline bars in the future so this might not be like this too long. I rust treated that little ABS bracket and stuck a stainless bolt with copper anti-seize in there so hopefully that works out ok.
Coming along005.jpg
I really need to get rid of that cat, it makes work in that area so much harder.
Coming along006.jpg
Front torqued up, split pins replaced. I have the correct inner tie rods, just waiting to take them in to be assembled and I can put the rack back in.
Coming along007.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Looking great, good work that few will appreciate as it’s all on underbelly.

I still have a set of poly bushes for front sway should you need. Would have to dig out and check size. $20/delivered.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Benckj wrote:Looking great, good work that few will appreciate as it’s all on underbelly.

I still have a set of poly bushes for front sway should you need. Would have to dig out and check size. $20/delivered.
Thanks. All good, I have two sets of the correct size swaybar bushes, front are done, rear they just sandwich front ones into the mounts as the appropriate shaped ones are unavailable in other sizes. Apparently twosrus have been doing this for years with no issues. It seems pretty solid.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato