tw2's mr2 - the journey to a clean 2

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: tw2's mr2 - the journey to a clean 2

Post by tw2 »

To fit these sort of speakers a lot of material needs to be removed from the door cards. Just in case this can help anyone. I didn't touch the very lower edge of the corner of the door so I don't know if a previous owner has rearranged this or not.
Speakers in door04.JPG

Otherwise, foam baffles, MDF spacer, dynamat and speaker. Came together nicely, just took a whole day of trial and error. It sounds fantastic.
Speakers in door01.JPG
Speakers in door02.JPG
Speakers in door03.JPG
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Condenser is in. The foglight bolts held me up for a whole day. Unfortunately despite trying to carefully drill them out it turned into a mess. I ended up destroying the plastic mounts so I will have to make some metal reinforcements for them sometime. Really crap design from Toyota. If they were normal bolts you could twist the heads off and fix it afterwards. The other issue was two of the bolts that hold the undercover at the front bumper. I ended up hacksawing through them and luckily left the plastic cover relatively unscathed.
FrontEnd004.JPG
FrontEnd002.JPG
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Rust treated a couple of suspicious areas including the mating surface for the right quarter panel. Should arrest any further corrosion until I have it resprayed in a few years.
FrontEnd001.JPG
FrontEnd003.JPG
FrontEnd005.JPG
FrontEnd006.JPG
Dynamat finally arrived so that will be the next job once the A/C is fixed and working.
FrontEnd007.JPG
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

I found removing the bumper was actually quite easy apart from the foglight bolts- definitely take care of those before you touch anything else. I saw a couple of guides say to take the headlights apart. To me this sounded like a total pain especially as the access hole the allow you to get to is tiny. I just removed the front only of the wheel well guards. It allows you perfect access to the two nuts that hold the bumper on next to the alignment pins. You can also easily undo the two 10mm bolts in front of the headlights, you don't even need the lights up. Here is a schematic of how the those alignment pins fit together. Note that the picture inside the quarter panel is of the right side and the bumper photo is of the left side.
Alignment.JPG
Alignment2.JPG
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Door panel off, plastic barrier to be removed
Dynamat01.jpg
Dynamat04.jpg
You definitely want a proper roller tool, it is 100% worth the cost. It is very easy to cut yourself on this stuff and the tool makes it a piece of cake to smooth out and get the air out from underneath.
Dynamat03.jpg
I aimed for 50% coverage inside the outer door panel. You can see the original sound deadening material. I chose to leave it as I don't think it is going anywhere.
Dynamat05.jpg
Dynamat06.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Triangular bracket replaced, this should eliminate the wind noise. Belt moulding replaced which I can already tell has stopped the window rattling around when half down. The belt molding is easy to get out, undo the screws, one at each end of the rubber molded covers (located at each end of the door). Then there is a single screw securing the front of the molding and a single clip at the back. Then it just pulls up.
Dynamat13.jpg
Dynamat12.jpg
Dynamat14.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

I was aiming for 90% coverage of the door inner panel and eliminating any holes where possible. It acts as a weather shield so the plastic cover is no longer needed.
Dynamat02.jpg
Dynamat09.jpg
Dynamat07.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Looking good. Good to see you've been able to get the window sill trim. Hopefully the new seals get rid of the wind noise.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2

Post by tw2 »

GDII wrote:Looking good. Good to see you've been able to get the window sill trim. Hopefully the new seals get rid of the wind noise.
Yes completely. I have only done the right door, I lost 5dB in the process average on chip seal at 100km/h. I can't detect any noise whatsoever through the door now. Obviously there will be some but it is imperceptible over the rest of the road and engine noise. I can now hear a tiny whistle from the left door I never knew existed before.

I will do the left door over the next couple of weeks. Then it will be the big job of pulling the carpet and doing the rest of the cabin.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I always intended to install a similar product (Fatmat) on the inside of the doors like you did. Already did the floor, firewall and behind rear speakers plus insulated above front wheel arches. Interested to see how well it work for you.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Benckj wrote:I always intended to install a similar product (Fatmat) on the inside of the doors like you did. Already did the floor, firewall and behind rear speakers plus insulated above front wheel arches. Interested to see how well it work for you.
How did you find the noise reduction? I will also be putting sound blocking foam backed vinyl on the floor and firewall.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I didn't find it help a great deal. Tyres and road surface made the biggest change.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Did the left door this weekend. I think I did a better job. The belt moldings and side triangle pieces took about 15 mins to install with my new found experience. The dynamat coverage was better too. The 92+ tweeter covers are a lot bigger. Finally got those out and the new door bezels that everyone breaks.
Left door dynamat01.jpg
Left door dynamat02.jpg
Left door dynamat03.jpg
Left door dynamat04.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Left door dynamat05.jpg
Left door dynamat06.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Finally removed the carpet to get the noise deadening job under way. Here is a link to the only thread you will need, it is simple https://www.mr2oc.com/63-interior-modif ... arpet.html The foot rest has two screws in it (yes they are plastic with a matching surface to the rest of the foot pad). Mine unscrewed ok but you need to pull up on the rest while you unscrew. Lots of people just rip it off by pulling the carpet if it won't unscrew. Removing headliner https://www.mr2oc.com/63-interior-modif ... liner.html

It was interesting to see what they had already done from the factory. There is a significant amount of vibration dampening material in there already, mainly the floor pans. However I am pretty sure a good coverage of dynamat can improve on this crusty crap and will certainly reduce heat transfer significantly. It was a bit good and a bit sad to see that the firewall carpet was pretty well engineered for 80's tech. The jute is terrible but serves its purpose (decoupling the vinyl from the metal so it can vibrate and absorb sound freely); there is a thick vinyl layer already as a sound blocker and some more crust sound deadening on the metal. I am not sure whether I will double up on the vinyl or just try and add it to the places it is lacking. There might be minimal gains in this area but I am convinced the dynamat will reduce some of the engine vibration coming through.

The better news is there are areas with no vibration attenuation at all on the floor and sides and no vinyl anywhere for road noise, only some crappy jute. I think I can reduce the road noise significantly. I also have some self adhesive close cell foam on its way for the roof. I will drop the headliner later in the week and dynamat/foam it. This stops echo and is much lighter than vinyl so will actually stay on the ceiling. Everything I got from here https://www.carbuilders.com.au/mass-noise-liner They are on trademe with free shipping from Australia- but not free customs/gst so I picked up dynamat locally so I wouldn't exceed the limit.
Floor carpet00.jpg
Floor carpet01.jpg
Floor carpet02.jpg
Floor carpet03.jpg
Floor carpet04.jpg
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato