Pommy is back!!!

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Pommy is back!!!

Post by pommy »

Hi Team,

It's been a while. But I having been thinking recently how much fun I had in my old sw, and what an awesome car club this is!

So.... I have just purchased my second SWGT this time with Targa top. Looking forward to catching up with you guys again on the next run.

Does anyone recognise it? It has an Mr2 club sticker in the back.

Cheers Chris (aka Pommy.)
Attachments
FB_IMG_1524301085385.jpg
FB_IMG_1524301085385.jpg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
FB_IMG_1524301078186.jpg
FB_IMG_1524301078186.jpg (69.49 KiB) Viewed 2753 times

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Re: Pommy is back!!!

Post by chief1eye »

Awesome! Great to have you back again. Had a look at buying your old car but turbo was blown, guy was going to call me when fixed but never did. So not sure where it ended up?

See if you can make it to ClubFest, the club is going, check out the post Track Day Hampton Downs 2 June. Be great to catch up again.

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hey Welcome back from the dark Side Chris ! Be great to have you back. Hope the family is all doing ok and look forward to seeing you and the new car on the next one
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Wardy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Steven

Post by Wardy »

Awesome Chris welcome back mate, nice car. :lol:

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pommy »

chief1eye wrote:Awesome! Great to have you back again. Had a look at buying your old car but turbo was blown, guy was going to call me when fixed but never did. So not sure where it ended up?

See if you can make it to ClubFest, the club is going, check out the post Track Day Hampton Downs 2 June. Be great to catch up again.
Cheers mate,

Yea I tracked him down aswell to buy it back once fixed, but he never answered my calls.... so gave up!

your new car looks better anyway

I will try & make clubfest have a few things I need to do it before I trust it anywhere near a track lol.

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pommy »

Cheers for the comments gents

looking forward to catching up with you on the next run

cheers 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Mint! Had to happen eh mate? :mrgreen:

It'll be great to see you and your 2 on a run again Chris. :D

Get it insured with Swann. Good rates, proper agreed value, right of buy-back, and track day cover as long as you advise them each time before-hand. 8)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pommy »

Yes mate couldn't resist eh!

First time with a T top which is what I wanted.

Cheers for the heads up about Swann that sounds good about track days. Just insured it with classic cover for now.

Catch up soon be good to catch up

Cheers

spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Hayden

Post by spyderballer »

Yup! i recognize it.

Was my brothers car a few years ago. He had the Alinux plates on it.

He purchased it from wellington with a blown engine. We fitted a new engine back up in Auckland. From memory it was pretty straight and original for a turbo mr2. 99% sure it will have a lsd gearbox to.
If it helps, the cambelt etc would of been done around 137k - looking at carjam and date personalized plates were fitted.

He sold it to a young guy who had just got his license, so good to see its still around lol.

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pommy »

That is gold information thankyou.

So did you swap the clocks over aswell then, being it states 170klms?
Do you know how many klms the new engine had on it? Did you guys change the Cambelt yourselves?
So I should have a while then before I have to change it...

Yes I was a bit worried buying another turbo from a young guy (you'll never know how much it's been thrashed if at all) but it goes well I have only driven once and that was when I collected it lol.

Needs new brakes & coolant flush asap then I'll be happy to drive it!
If you remember anything else I'd appreciate it, always good to know history. Cheers.

spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Hayden

Post by spyderballer »

Stretching my memory now lol!

So my brother owned it from late 2013-2015 going from when he fitted/removed the Alinux personlised plate - so my info might be out of date.

I cant remember the engine ks sorry. But i do know we replaced:
headgasket/head bolts
full cambelt kit/water pump
big end bearings and hose from hell as preventative maintenance.
99% sure we replaced the clutch aswell though regardless we would of done the rear main seal

We didn't swap the odometer though which read around 130-137 at time of work. So im guessing if the odometer say 170kish now its the legitimate ks for the car.

The engine was replaced because it ran a bearing with the old owner and he kept driving.... which was unfortunate because it killed the reconditioned (with receipts) turbo as well. We ended up fitting a good 2nd hand replacement turbo.

only other work we did was remove the aftermarket alarm because it was a bit of a hack job and kept draining the battery.

yes work was done at home. glad you brought this one because it was just his daily driver, was well looked after. We had another turbo mr2 at the time for track days that had a much harder life!

Looks like they new owner may of had it repainted at some point. I only thought it was same car because i remembered the rego number and checked carjam to confirm it had my brothers personalized plate on it a few years ago. Not to surprised though because the paint was pretty tidy but was looking a bit thin in a few spots.

Heres a pic of when he owned it.
1291020_592561574122832_545061309_o.jpg
1291020_592561574122832_545061309_o.jpg (295.37 KiB) Viewed 2625 times

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pommy »

Cheers for responding

Wow you guys did a lot of work....and so pleased you did the hose from hell, I was dreading that lol.

Ok so I don't have to worry about the cambelt / waterpump for a while. That's great as I can out my money into other items for the car.

Yes this will be looked after now & is just my weekend toy so klms wont go up much.

I need to re install the alarm so that's getting booked!

Its leaking oil all over my driveway I'm not impressed about that so will get it on the hoist & try & see where from.

Cheers again fella. Be good to catch up on one of the runs and see how much its changed.

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pommy »

Hi all,

Is anyone else covered by Swann Insurance & been on the track?

I have just been emailing backwards & forwards with two insurance companies for my mr2 re-entering track days! And it turns out you are not actually insured for track days even if you make them aware beforehand?
Unless the track day is FIA or NZ Motorsport organised or approved.

so the up & coming Club fest day you wouldn't be insured.....

Get it insured with Swann. Good rates, proper agreed value, right of buy-back, and track day cover as long as you advise them each time before-hand. 8)[/quote]

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

My understanding when I’ve called Swann before a track day is that it must be non-competitive and there is someone in charge of driver training. Very few events fit into this criteria as even timed laps are viewed as competitive.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pommy »

that's my thoughts too. So I have continued with Classic Cover Insurance.

Still get first dibs to purchase back & salvage rights!