Another Noob's MR2 journey

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Adam

Another Noob's MR2 journey

Post by voxson »

Hi all,

New forum member, and just purchased my SW20! You might have seen it on TradeMe, its the 3 second 1/4 mile one ;P

Looks like it might have belonged to a previous club member (MR2OC sticker in window) - Seller was a pretty cool gal, and very helpful.
If anyone has some history on the car, I'ld appreciate knowing if I really need to fix anything right away...

Sorry no pics as am at work, but in a lull so thought I would say hello to all.

I originally bought the car as basically a little hack over winter to get me to work, in something more interesting than a corolla. Trouble is that now I want to get on the restoration band wagon. Car has loads of kms, but drives surprisingly well for the age and wear.

I owned an auto t-top G-limited about 10 years ago, but tbh, that was a dog compared to this car. I can't believe I have a car with working A/C, let alone power steering.

I've been reading through the N/A sticky, and multiple forums, around 1st steps. Engine oil and air filter done - I need a proper key/tool (mine are too big for the filter) to get the oil filter off, so will do another fluid change when I get it. Ignition gear to come but I see from other threads that ignition parts are getting a bit hard to come by in NZ, so will be looking at options.

Also, does anyone have input for plug temps on an older + high km car? Still use the factory spec?

There is a bit of rust on passengers door, right on the top sill (seal? the black covering chrome top of the door) so I don't know if I can repair that much of a hole - its about the size of 1/2 tennis ball of under paint bubbling rust. I'll probably grind it out and pull the card to see how bad it is at some point though.

As the doors are manual windows, I'm looking at replacing the doors with non-rusty electric window ones - anything I should be looking out for? What is a fair price for door+card+regulator? This won't be a quick mod unless the price is really good and accessible.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling 1st post. Good to meet you all, and might just see you out there.

Cheers!

Spykerwolf
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Will

Re: Another Noob's MR2 journey

Post by Spykerwolf »

Congratulations on your new ride man. Looking forward to see the progress you make with it. Awesome that the A/C is working! :o
Current: None
Past: '92 NA Hardtop manual

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Congratulations. Careful it doesn't get away form you if its that fast LOL. Good crew down in Waikato and im sure you'll find any of them to give you advice .
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by Logan »

Welcome to the club Adam.
Working AC in an MR2 is certainly rare these days, must have been well looked after!

With regard to your manual windows, keep in mind a few things if you want to do the conversion. You need the regulator, door card, window control panels and the wiring looms for both doors at a minimum. I'm not sure if there are other differences with components mounted on the body and the body loom. Also as the manual windows are much lighter than the electronic ones and much rarer, they are fairly sought after, so don't let them go too cheap if you plan on selling them.

I've done a conversion the opposite way (electronic to manual) and everything was bolt in so from that perspective it should be ok.
1996 Turbo SW20

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

Welcome to the club! If you do decide to stick with the car for the long run be sure to come on some runs with us, so you can meet lots of new people and learn lots of new stuff. I live in Hamilton so if you are nearby then i would be more than happy to help you out should you need it, just let me know. Should you stay an MR2 owner long term, being a club member is helpful as because you are eligible for heaps of decent discounts from places like toyota, BNT and other places. Good luck with everything :)
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Mrman
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Shaun

Post by Mrman »

If you are interested in swapping out for electric controls I may be keen to trade you, I’ll need to learn how much of the loom I need to remove but let me know if your interested.

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

Thanks all for the warm welcome :)

Will definitely be wanting to join in the fun, even if I have to nana the car around - she's a bit creaky over bumps, so pushing the suspension any time soon might turn into a bad day.

More than keen to learn too - I'm certainly a noob when it comes to auto repair. I mean, sure I can do a basic service and not afraid to get my hands dirty, but that is about it.

@Mrman, Don't let me stop you from learning about the loom - I'll likely be back asking questions about it anyway. Elecs are pretty low on the to do list..

@Logan, Car definitely had that feel about it. Thank you for the heads up too.

@Jabeo, I think you'll end up on my speed dial :D

@MIKEP, Cheers - yeah looking forward to being part of the community

@Spykerwolf, Cheers - I couldn't believe it too, and ex-owners response was "its a Toyota"

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

voxson wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome :)

Will definitely be wanting to join in the fun, even if I have to nana the car around - she's a bit creaky over bumps, so pushing the suspension any time soon might turn into a bad day.

More than keen to learn too - I'm certainly a noob when it comes to auto repair. I mean, sure I can do a basic service and not afraid to get my hands dirty, but that is about it
Just a note if you click the quote/speech marks button you can quote one of us or all of us, or part of what we said and it will send us a notification
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

Jabeo wrote: Just a note if you click the quote/speech marks button you can quote one of us or all of us, or part of what we said and it will send us a notification
Sweet :)

pommy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Chris

Post by pommy »

Welcome to the Club mate, I have just returned back after a year!

you will enjoy it, lots of respect in this club

cheers.

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

(test to see if this photo thing works)
Attachments
mm tasty
mm tasty

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

pommy wrote:Welcome to the Club mate, I have just returned back after a year!

you will enjoy it, lots of respect in this club

cheers.
Thanks mate - its good to be here!

So, it seems theres at least one oil leak. Not sure if is from that little hose or higher up..
Attachments
20180422_150957.jpg
20180422_151018.jpg
20180422_151109.jpg
20180422_151030.jpg

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That's either a valve cover or more likely the distributor O ring. That hose is a coolant line. No oil hoses exist on this side of the engine. Only oil lines to the turbo on the other side.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

GDII wrote:That's either a valve cover or more likely the distributor O ring. That hose is a coolant line. No oil hoses exist on this side of the engine. Only oil lines to the turbo on the other side.
Cheers - I watched a couple of videos detailing how to change the O-ring, doesn't look too complicated

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

voxson wrote:
GDII wrote:That's either a valve cover or more likely the distributor O ring. That hose is a coolant line. No oil hoses exist on this side of the engine. Only oil lines to the turbo on the other side.
Cheers - I watched a couple of videos detailing how to change the O-ring, doesn't look too complicated
There are 2 o rings/seals for the distributor. The outer one is easy to do but the inner is a bit more work. Make sure you install the distributor back the same way to ensure the timing remains correct.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/