Another Noob's MR2 journey

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Another Noob's MR2 journey

Post by Benckj »

Not too bad price for the parts. Labour reasonable as well although you haven't covered everything on the list.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

voxson wrote:
tw2 wrote:I haven't used any SST's ever. I used to use the starter trick for the crank bolt but I couldn't actually recommend for someone else to do it. Cams easiest way is to remove the valve cover and chuck a wrench on them to take the bolts out of the gears. The timing notches are in there too.
Looks like I would need a harmonic balancer puller to get the crank pulley off?

I emailed toyota to see what the damage would be for parts, and for lols also asked for a quote on them doing it

So, cams seals, idler pulley, tensioner, cam belt, water pump, water pump seals, oil pump seals, crank seal = $504 inc for parts, $870 ex gst labour to do the work ($1570 all up).
Do it yourself. That's a big cost and then you get to learn at the same time. $504 is ok for the parts.

If you buy a harmonic balancer puller make sure you have bolts that have the correct thread and length. The ones from Repco will not fit an MR2. They will wreck the threads.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Adam

Post by voxson »

Benckj wrote:Not too bad price for the parts. Labour reasonable as well although you haven't covered everything on the list.
What am I missing?

I asked the parts guy for everything needed on the cam cover side.

I've edited the post as I worked out the parts cost incorrectly, should be $548.99 ex gst.

I'll put a pic of what I was quoted up when I get home too, to check what I might need vs what was quoted

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

GDII wrote:
voxson wrote:
tw2 wrote:I haven't used any SST's ever. I used to use the starter trick for the crank bolt but I couldn't actually recommend for someone else to do it. Cams easiest way is to remove the valve cover and chuck a wrench on them to take the bolts out of the gears. The timing notches are in there too.
Looks like I would need a harmonic balancer puller to get the crank pulley off?

I emailed toyota to see what the damage would be for parts, and for lols also asked for a quote on them doing it

So, cams seals, idler pulley, tensioner, cam belt, water pump, water pump seals, oil pump seals, crank seal = $504 inc for parts, $870 ex gst labour to do the work ($1570 all up).
Do it yourself. That's a big cost and then you get to learn at the same time. $504 is ok for the parts.

If you buy a harmonic balancer puller make sure you have bolts that have the correct thread and length. The ones from Repco will not fit an MR2. They will wreck the threads.
Yeah I think that is what might happen. Makes me pretty nervous thinking about it though :)

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

voxson wrote:
GDII wrote:
voxson wrote: Do it yourself. That's a big cost and then you get to learn at the same time. $504 is ok for the parts.

Yeah I think that is what might happen. Makes me pretty nervous thinking about it though :)
Fair enough. It is helpful to have someone else with you and if they know what to do. Installing seals and lining up the cam belt are things you need to know how to do. Especially with the engine in the car and limited room to get your hands and tools in. But once you've done it once you'll know more and be more confident about working around that part of the car again.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

GDII wrote: Fair enough. It is helpful to have someone else with you and if they know what to do. Installing seals and lining up the cam belt are things you need to know how to do. Especially with the engine in the car and limited room to get your hands and tools in. But once you've done it once you'll know more and be more confident about working around that part of the car again.
Doing anything next weekend? :D

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

voxson wrote:
GDII wrote: Fair enough. It is helpful to have someone else with you and if they know what to do. Installing seals and lining up the cam belt are things you need to know how to do. Especially with the engine in the car and limited room to get your hands and tools in. But once you've done it once you'll know more and be more confident about working around that part of the car again.
Doing anything next weekend? :D
Depends how far down the line you are.

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

OK, quoted bits below - total prices ex gst.

Checking on jp.carparts.com for the vague quoted parts:

90311-35040 SEAL, OIL(FOR TIMING CHAIN OR BELT COVER)
90311-42026 SEAL(FOR CRANKSHAFT)
15165-70010 SEAL(FOR OIL PUMP)
15188-63010 RING, O(FOR OIL PUMP)
11329-88360 GASKET, TIMING GEAR REAR COVER <- either top or bottom?
11328-88361 GASKET, TIMING GEAR OR CHAIN COVER <- either top or bottom?

Interestingly, the PN for the timing belt does not exist, but I think it is ok to trust in Toyota here.
Attachments
Cam side quote.PNG
Cam side quote.PNG (45.73 KiB) Viewed 3826 times

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

mknz wrote: Depends how far down the line you are.
I am in North Hamilton (St Andrews), and may yet take you up on potential assistance.

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

double post sry
Last edited by voxson on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

OK. So I need to get myself organized before anything else. Check the manual for tools I still need (Impact wrench, harmonic balancer puller + properly threaded bolts, a much better jack than what I have). Get car into a weatherproof area that I still have space to work on. Dive in and document everything.

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

I learnt everything from the BGB many years ago. If you want a hand I am just in Frankton. You will want two torque wrenches, a small and a large.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

voxson wrote:
Benckj wrote:Not too bad price for the parts. Labour reasonable as well although you haven't covered everything on the list.
What am I missing?

I asked the parts guy for everything needed on the cam cover side.

I've edited the post as I worked out the parts cost incorrectly, should be $548.99 ex gst.

I'll put a pic of what I was quoted up when I get home too, to check what I might need vs what was quoted
My apologies I was thinking this was the other thread asking about 100k service. Only things I see missing is T-stat and possibly assembly consumables like Locktight, permaseal, antisieze and coolant.

I’ve never needed a harmonic balancer pulley before as found using a rubber mallet with pry bar enough to remove pulley. Do be careful as edge of pulley can break as quite brittle.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

voxson
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by voxson »

Wow it has been way too long - hope everyone is well!

Lots of life challenges here since ... 2018ish? Anyway, change of job & career, mr2 puking its guts all over my driveway, fixed and still zipping around in a flash of ruined green paint & rust :)

Anyways, car update!
Finally worked on the window/spoiler seal
Finally worked on the window/spoiler seal
Heatshield off without broken bolts
Only a filter, but ashamedly I was never able to get it off before
Only a filter, but ashamedly I was never able to get it off before
Maybe I should have done the fuel filter much earlier!
Maybe I should have done the fuel filter much earlier!
First time changing one of these, I think I did ok with the wasted fuel?
Also pulled off my not really attached rear spoiler, the attachment point 'brace' inside the spoiler on the top-left was completely broken. I wasn't sure on the best way to fix, so its lathered in epoxy & waiting to refit after sanding and rattlecan repainting.

Also pulled out the sponge in the sides behind the doors, the passenger side seatbelt was getting wet from the rain, hopefully this fixes it.

Feels good to be playing around instead of just just driving :)

Edit - some attachments I might have mucked up descriptions, but ya get the idea
Attachments
Still have a leak.. distributor again?
Still have a leak.. distributor again?
20210608_134930.jpg

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Nice work, I had a lot of trouble getting my heat shield off. Use anti-seize and new bolts when you put it back on. Its normal to lose a bit of fuel, you don't want to try and save it.

Looks like valve cover seal is next? Maybe distributor seal too...
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato