SW20 Garagefind(ish) fix up.

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Michael

Re: SW20 Garagefind(ish) fix up.

Post by Sancho »

Yeah it’s well corroded! Will Be getting one of those pumps not wanting to pull this tank ever again lol.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Yikes, that is nasty. I’d rather pull an engine than drop fuel tank. Sorry I don’t have spare but Mad Mike in Dunners might be able to help.

2nd the aftermarket FP instead of OEM. If going with the Walbro wrap Pump in sleeve to reduce pump noise when under 1/4 tank.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

Have messaged mike, also eco auto recyclers appear to have an SW20, I’ve said I’ll take it as long as it’s not rusty.

Not sure how long they’ve had it though.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Most are not as bad as what you have experienced. That one must have had water sitting in it for quite some time. Should be easy enough to pop the lid and have a look inside as long as wreakers (or Mike) have already removed.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

DW200 should also fit too and quieter than the walbro 255
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Gleshlich wrote:DW200 should also fit too and quieter than the walbro 255
That would be a good option too. Deatschwerks are only new to my knowledge mostly from Mighty Car Mods but it seems to be cheaper and still an excellent product. Like the others have said a Walbro 255 can be loud. It's a hit and miss thing on the noise they produce too.

https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/pr ... fuel-pump/

http://www.nzefi.com/product/walbro-255 ... fuel-pump/
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I bought my Walbro Stateside for under $100. If I were doing again and didn't have access to overseas products would probably go for the DW200. Cheap enough and I've heard good reports from others using (non-MR2related).

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-pa ... aab5da55d4

If your running the gen2 with little of no mods than the OEM FP is sufficient. Won't need anything special until you are topping 350whp which will be some time yet. If you want to view FP comparison this article with plots is a good reference. Shows how the aftermarket pumps don't fall away like OEM's at the higher end of duty (pressure & flow).

http://www.wolfkatz.com/Articles/MR2%20 ... Report.pdf

On a side note, look for FP's that are compatible with ethanol. I tip 10% methanol into my tank to keep detonation in check as well as tank/lines/injectors clean. If you crank up your boost and can't get 98octane it certainly helps keep the engine internals in one piece.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:If your running the gen2 with little of no mods than the OEM FP is sufficient.
If you can even get the OEM pump anymore, it seems to be discontinued but you are looking at close to or more then $500 for one so you can upgrade for way cheaper anyway.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland

Post by mknz »

DW has been doing well; they became famous for their ID1000s. I've heard good things about their fuel pumps too

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

Yeah I got a DW200 for $150NZD w/shipping

nothing wrong with the Walbro but this is likely a more recent design over the tried and true Walbro. I’ve used them in Subaru’s before, and mates are all using them too.

A mates got a wrx using e85 with a dw200 lift pump into a surge tank using the big 400 series inline to feed the motor.

Just need the tank now!

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

The other option is the Denso Supra pump. Huge flow. OEM quiet. OEM reliability.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Alsw20 wrote:The other option is the Denso Supra pump. Huge flow. OEM quiet. OEM reliability.
But also more draw on the electrical system. The stock fuel pump wiring isn't safe to run at the amp draw the Supra pump uses.
You can easily get around this by wiring in a fuse and relay to power the pump off the battery and use the existing fuel pump power wire to switch the relay but that's just more work for what the DW200 or Walbro 255 can do as a direct drop in.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Alsw20 wrote:The other option is the Denso Supra pump. Huge flow. OEM quiet. OEM reliability.
No doubt Supra FP is one of the best, also costs the most. Often the best is not required for the application.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

Yeah, I think the DW200 will be more than enough for this application. heaps of options these days really.

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

Was away all week so conveniently my new DW200 was sitting there waiting for me when I got home. Ex-Australia arrived in 2 days.

Did a bit of a pull-down of the original seized engine, here's what the cylinders look like for anyone interested.

Over the weekend we managed to get the engine running with aid of a roadkill-inspired fuel tank.

Couldn't get it started would just backfire violently ect ect, but turns out the distributor that we hadn't touched was 180deg out, so after rotating that the car started up without much hesitation, haven't run it for long as there's no cooling lines as there's no fuel tank but at least we know it will start and run now.

Also decided to take a look at our ECU's as one of them had a sticker saying it was a "blitz access" so wanted to see if it had a daughter board or something installed. has some extra soldered in wires so must have had something added, those extra wires inhibit the ability to split the two pcb boards so I never dug any further.

Decided to compare it with the ECU that came in the car already but it looks different externally.

that'll do it....

Other than that I don't really think they'll be able to do much!

just need a tank now so I can progress into actually driving it!