SW20 Garagefind(ish) fix up.

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: SW20 Garagefind(ish) fix up.

Post by Benckj »

Those ECU's are interesting. Might pay to do some research on them to see if you can figure out what the program is and possibly alter. Could be worth a little coin as many of the OEM ECU's are failing due to old caps.

That old engine looks very nasty. Wonder what bottom end looks like as the crank has some value if not full of stress cracks.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Michael

Post by Sancho »

Will rip the crank out soon. I don’t think I’ll reuse this motor ever anyway.

I had thought of waiting for cheap bits to show up but a whole GT-T crapdina is cheaper.

Have been looking around for information on the ECUs they’re fairly basic like high rev limit, no fuel cut, no speed cut ect plus I’d say they are for 100RON? So maybe some toluene when giving the car beans.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Some ECU's will change the fuel maps as the 3sgte runs very rich which is why its safe to increase boost values. Best to run higher octane fuel when you start tuning or install water injection for detonation control. I also add 10% methanol to fuel tank rather than toluene as its much cheaper and less corrosive. As they say do everything to reduce detonation before you start modifying.

Not sure if you have seen this link as it is very good reference to working on the 3sgte & mods.

http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I don't think these ECUs can be tuned. They just have a map set in them which just makes them work. Of course what Jim says about running good fuel is a must as Japan has 100 octane so lots of cars built for the JDM market run this fuel. At least the turbo engines are.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by Sancho »

Yeah I doubt they’d be tunable, well even if they were you’d never find anyone able to do it. As likely they gave up on ROM burning years ago. My friend wants to experiment with a Speeduino but that can be a bit later on!

reading through that link now!

bwap
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Braydon

Post by bwap »

So uhh, 5 year bump :lol:

I’m the friend mentioned in the first post that originally bought this car with Sancho.

Hopefully in the next few weeks we will be pulling the ol’ SW20 out of storage once I get my new garage and continue the work on getting it back up and running.
It hasn’t been touched since the last post, although we acquired a new fuel tank. But not yet installed.

This year marks 20 years since it was last on the road :o

It has also definitely gone up in value a bit since we purchased it for $500 5 years ago!

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Glad to see you are still with us and planning to work on this garage find. Certainly worth some coin now to get back together and on the road.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

bwap
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Braydon

Post by bwap »

Yeah I hate having never finished it, just life got in the way of things, and no longer having a space to work on it for the last couple of years didn't help.

Looking forward to the project, and getting a lot of inspiration for other threads here.
Just trying to decide how far to take it.
Will be jumping on the for sale section/FBGroup and picking up a few parts to get it all back together too.
Once I have the garage in the next few weeks, I'll need to do a full inventory of the car and what parts I have and what will need replacement.
Also need to decide if I pull the engine again, or do all the work in the bay. It'll need a timing kit/water pump at a minimum, and wouldn't be surprised if it needs the oil pump seals too. :shock:

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Its good to set-out your priorities with goals & budget in mind before diving back into. Really depends on if you bulding for yourself or to on-sell. As your probably aware by modifing this costs more and often reduces the value.
If your looking for parts I still have a fair amount of bits around to assist. I'm not on FB groups so best to contact me through this forum if you need something.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car