SW20 Garagefind(ish) fix up.

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: SW20 Garagefind(ish) fix up.

Post by Benckj »

Gutting the Cat will actually reduce your power. Best to find a cheap DP and replace the heavy Cat plus brackets. Post on the WTB section of forum as there are usually a few floating around.

DP will make the best improvement for hp gains especially if you crank boost up a bit.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Gutting cat doesn’t reduce power. I have before and after drag time slips that confirm. It doesn’t increase power either though, just makes it noisier.

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Alsw20 wrote:Gutting cat doesn’t reduce power. I have before and after drag time slips that confirm. It doesn’t increase power either though, just makes it noisier.
It becomes a big expansion chamber and I know on the Caldinas when you do this it can cause boost creep issues. Not sure about the GEN2 or GEN3 engines.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Yep so does the gen2. What you gain in flow from the restriction being removed is lost in a reduction in velocity.

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by Sancho »

All good guys, will leave it be.

Will try find a DP after I can confirm the motor isn’t broken!

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

Not much done tonight, Just washed up the engine, leaving everything for now will pull it back out again soon anyway to replace all the service items - I just want to know it's not a dud, I have a good feeling it isn't.

Gave the motor a wash.. and a dry (lol)

Then just attached the transaxle that was in the car originally, Will probably have it in this weekend.

Protip - myself and my infinitely useless wisdom figured it would be a good idea to place some oil in each cylinder as it's very likely dry after a long sit so when we start cranking it at least has SOMETHING.
Oh yeah nah you'll spin it by hand and oil will hit the roof.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also need to make a giant list of what I need to buy when I take the engine out next. Definitely keen on a down pipe as that cat is rather large.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

Sancho wrote:^ im too stupid to work out how to delete and edit posts plz moderate me.
Nice find dude, just caught myself up. Love a good black turbo sw20 :D to edit / delete there should be a pen/pencil icon as well as an X icon usually at the top of the post to do these functions
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Can only edit, search and store pics if your a club member. Guests only have limited rights. I will delete double post.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

Cheers, I did the club membership form I guess the payment needs to clear so hopefully I can search in the next few days haha.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Cheers, I did the club membership form I guess the payment needs to clear so hopefully I can search in the next few days haha.
It does take a little while to go through and then Webmaster change rights. Charlie use to look after but now that done by the new President-Optional. If it doesn't change by next week I'll hurry the process along.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

^ looks like they've sorted it. Thanks! Should be a proper member soon, plus I grabbed one of those Registration holders for when it gets re-registered for the first time since 2003.

If anyone's bored and wants to tell me what I'm doing wrong (or just tell me i'm wrong anyway) feel free to flick me a PM, we welcome visitors as long as they aren't too scary.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

If I was a little closer and weather was good I’d pop over to see you. Looks like you have your act sorted and are not unfamiliar with a tool in your hand. Best to get it together like you plan and work out what to do next. There always seem to be something to do.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

Yeah man, we regularly service for rally cars so plenty of knowledge to try transfer over!

Hoping to get this engine in this weekend just doing a DCCD Controller for Whare Flat Rallysprint for another mate tonight but I managed to get at least one set of bushings.

Sancho
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Sancho »

This weekend has been rather..eventful.

Got the spare motor and the E153 with the LSD in it bolted up, ready to put in and got that put in on Saturday Night.

Called it a night with a no-spark issue. and got back to it Sunday.

Bonus interior photos needs a clean otherwise OK. stock audio system works and it came complete with an early 2000s CD playlist.

Back at it sunday and work out quickly the spark issue is a blow "EFI" fuse which I think is also the fuel pump fuse. - however I must have been hearing things as about an hour after this we worked out the fuse kept blowing and the fuel pump wasn't actually working so...... YEP.

you saw that coming... it was nice to see toyota used stainless steel for these radiator lines. one of the drain bolts snapped inside the hole though.. ahh well easy to fix off the car!

Finally got the tank out.. not tooooo bad on the pain scale but I wouldn't want to do this on the floor.

Might be needing a good used fuel tank if we can't clean this out.. going to just get a brand new fuel pump as it looks fairly standard in-tank. but that rust/scale/varnish on everything isn't really ideal..

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That's one stuffed pump and tank. I guess sitting so long it's absorbed so much water it's corroded everything.
May as well upgrade to a Walbro 255 as they bolt in to the stock location.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/