thorns 1990 GT Turbo

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: thorns 1990 GT Turbo

Post by GDII »

Looks good. Make sure to buy the Superklass C shifter cup too. They don't seem to fit the OEM one so you get a very floppy lever and bad gear changes.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Paul

Post by thorns »

Gave the engine bay a good clean and minor detail today, cleaned up and polished the intercooler piping, thotlle inlet and intake manifold a bit, still needs more, but figure I'll just do a bit more every now and then, little bits will add up to lots eventually. Need to take the cam cover off though and get it painted, too much of a pain to try clean that in place. Also made a quick fix to hold the shift boot until I buy a short shift kit, used a nut and a couple of cable tie on the shift shaft to hold it at the correct height, much nicer on my eye now.

Still on the look out for a blue Trust knob sticker if anyone knows of one.
1990 SW20 Turbo, Previously 1991 Green SW20 Turbo basket case

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Finally some after lowering shots. Dropped about 20mm in the front, and 25mm in the rear. Much happier with the look, still rides pretty nice as well and not stupid low. Bit of sun really made the blue rim stripe pop as well.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Couple of small updates. Found a bargain for a Apexi Power Air intake system so threw that on there, changes the noise for the better, great hearing all the whooshing noises, a lot more eventful when on the gas now. Also painted up the rocker cover, went for a simple silver as didnt want anything too in your face. Happy with the outcome, apart from now everything else in the engine bay looks old now, so might have to start painting a few other things to spruce the whole place up, and then get a good engine bay detail, and may even look at a wire tuck of sorts, have seen some pretty tidy examples from the old google searches.

Also picked up a HKS exhaust sytem for the car from a member on here, unsure on if I will install it, I go back and forth now on single, or try find a dual exit. :roll: