Another W20 project "Sweet Torque"

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
AllanB
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Allan

Re: Another W20 project "Sweet Torque"

Post by AllanB »

Big problem.

Didn't see this one coming. The ARP bearing cap hardware is longer than the OE hardware it seems. About 6mm longer and now the oil pan wont seat because it fouls the rear bearing cap hardware., grrrrr.

20200429_160210.jpg

I think my options are...

a) buy a Moroso 20935 oil pan for $1100. (owch)
b) cut and weld this pressed steel oil pan without warping it. (very, very tricky even with a torque plate)
c) look for an oil pan and pickup spacer. (The BOM guys had one made one for project Binky, but damned if I can find it)
d) take a grinder to the end of the hardware. (probably ruin the hardening so not really an option)
e) swap those bolt for OE hardware. (hmmmm, last option for a reason)

If anyone has a different idea, I would love to hear it.

Thanks guys
Stay safe.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Are you going for big power? If not the OEM bolts will do fine.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

AllanB
Guest of the Club.

Post by AllanB »

400HP is the number I tell people. :D
What I am really after is 300ish ft/lbs.

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

I can't see enough to say anything educated. I'm wondering if you could cut, bend some sheet to shape and jb-weld on? That might not work at all since I don't get how the longer hardware here is hitting?

AllanB
Guest of the Club.

Post by AllanB »

ARP hardware is a stud and nut, OE items are basic bolts which have a lower profile. An OE replacement part should fit the same hole IMHO but not this time is seems. The Moroso pan has cutouts in just the right spots, so it seems to me like a known problem, I Just didn't see it.

I prefer a mechanical solution to a chemical one, but if your stuck on the side of the road, that just might get you going again. Good idea, thank you.

AllanB
Guest of the Club.

Post by AllanB »

One for the 'no one will ever see it' file...

Made an interface layer with Kapton tape for a snug fit and to hold the studs up.
20200502_120528.jpg
cool colour but no one will ever see it.
20200502_120737.jpg

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

AllanB wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:24 pm
ARP hardware is a stud and nut, OE items are basic bolts which have a lower profile. An OE replacement part should fit the same hole IMHO but not this time is seems. The Moroso pan has cutouts in just the right spots, so it seems to me like a known problem, I Just didn't see it.

I prefer a mechanical solution to a chemical one, but if your stuck on the side of the road, that just might get you going again. Good idea, thank you.
Well if that's a gen 2 sump you'll probably want to replace it or weld baffles in any way to prevent oil starvation if that helps you justify those options :D

AllanB
Guest of the Club.

Post by AllanB »

Sounds like important intel, oil starvation is what killed this engine last time around.
Dammit, now I have to buy that Moroso pan :D

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Loving the shiny motor thus far, keep up the good work and fun updates!
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester