Penny:- Welcome to the Family.

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Penny:- Welcome to the Family.

Post by Speedhog »

So as this are progressing with Dopey (SO863) and Flick the Hillclimb beast, events come up that require a certain vehicle to have, for our group it is the Event we know as Foreman's Corner. This is a 3 day triathlon that incorporates a Motorkhana, Hillclimb and an Autocross over Auckland Anniversary weekend every year.

As the two aforementioned gravel hacks are sitting in different state of rebuilds, we where almost forced to settle for either not racing on this wicked weekend, or racing an automatic BMW 540i (E39) (I'd rather just watch to be honest.)
3 Weeks before the Foreman's Corner, all the TradeMe watchlists in the shed all fluttered with another caged AW, in Paeroa. Hadn't been used in 10 years. with baited breathe the timer was running down and a losing battle was happening. Close of Auction, we had lost. destined for the south island. :(
Thursday night it was relisted due to the buyer pulling out after he was unable to get it picked up for an affordable price.
A couple of phonecalls later, a buy now being listed and it was brought.
A dash from Auckland to Paeroa on Friday to get her, was meet with holiday traffic and just general Auckland motorway madness, she finally rolled into our driveway just after 1630.

She needed a few things to be updated, being:
Current harnesses,
Current Fire Extinguisher.

Well Flick is isn't being used, so i grabbed them out and as the steering column was out already threw that into the pile of to be fitted parts.
well less than 24 hours later she was racing. after 10 years of no use, she was on the rev limit pretty quickly.
Saturday afternoon after the motorkhana, we had a good crack at putting Flick's steering column in as that already has a 1.5:1 steering quickner fitted.
then fitted the rally tyres, and had a blast for two runs. As she was being dual driven in anger, she cried enough for the hillclimb, after I set a new PB up the hill by two seconds.. this car has some pace! We had managed to overheat the clutch and she was starting to slip in 3rd. Parked her up for the day and then went and had some drinks.
Started the Autocross with the intention of setting a time as to not to forfeit the triathlon results. Managed a decent time while taking my niece-in-law for her first ride in a car. Knowing that is sometimes a burden.. I went for a second, and shaved 7 seconds off, while Jeff overtook my 7 seconds in the same car and posted the challenge to 'beat that' Before I could, Jeff ran the last run before me and blew the tyre off the bead and drove on it for a lap. I decided to park the car for the day and pack up, as once it blows for us, it will do it again due to the course cutting up.

So from buying the car to completing it's first triathlon was 4 days.

Any way less about the weekend more about Penny.

1984 AW11
20v Silvertop conversion with Blacktop Cams
LSD, unsure of type. but works well.
Brake Bias adjuster
88-89 skirts.
Stiff shocks and springs.
Homologated Rollcage
Rego: On Hold....

The Name: On Saturday Morning, I was headed back to the campsite as a couple of competitors people had forgotten their helmets, and i was on a mission to find where a couple of my marshalls were. On the way back i was having a little bit of fun when climbing up one side of a hill On Kaiikanui road, and thought huh, it's dancing nicely here. it's a small dancer....hmmm tiny dancer.. then before I knew it I was humming Elton John's Tiny Dancer, as played in the Movie Almost Famous, which was started by the lead groupie, Penny Lane.
Enough of that.

Photo:
83499333_3150195908341205_964312108906840064_n.jpg
83499333_3150195908341205_964312108906840064_n.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 3571 times

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Re: Penny:- Welcome to the Family.

Post by mickeyduck »

So, Flick gets the flick for a Penny eh...? :shock:

Sounds like a good score mate! :mrgreen:

I'll have that wing if you ever decide to part with it... :wink:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Update for Penny.
Looks like Flick, has been given the Flick for now, as Penny has Rego. So Upgrade time!.
New Shocks and better seats are the first major improvements to be made.
The list is long and time is short, plan on having Penny running for the 8th November Hillclimb that we are running in Kaiwaka, before running it the following weekend, in the City of Auckland Rally.
Photo's to drool over.

Penny on the hoist.
IMG20201003133518.jpg
Front shocks and springs with Blisten inserts, and custom progressive springs for gravel bashing.
IMG20201003133559.jpg
Rears Shocks and Springs already in place with Blisten inserts, and custom progressive springs for gravel bashing.
IMG20201003133607.jpg
SO863(Dopemine Dispenser II) sitting in wait for the final big push on Stroked and Sleeved 2zz Turbo. (in the wrap on the pallet.)
IMG20201003133545.jpg
Looking towards the light. Roady, Flick, and SO863, in the line up.
IMG20201003152151.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Penny's current status:
Getting rally stickers on ready for Saturday!
IMG20201111201501.jpg
IMG20201111201514.jpg
IMG20201111201538.jpg

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

Update.
Penny competed and finished the City of Auckland Rally despite our best efforts in making sure that didn't happen.
We found our after the rally that we were being plagued with a major toe-in issue that made the car not want to slide and keep slides nicely. this was because the right rear wheel had 10.1mm of toe-in!!! enough to make the car crab down the road! we also had a major lack of power issue that we resolved to be the faulty Air flow meter, that had seized and then decided that the bearing pack could collapse. Overfueling, crabbing and a 50% decrease in power from the start meant that we realistically should never had finished the rally.

After fixing all that and then changing the air filter back to a panel over a pod filter, I headed down to the Second round of the interclub Hillclimb series round bein held by Pukekohe Car Club just south of Port Waikato on the 28th November for some redemption skids. And my first time driving on close to new gravel tyres. (The fronts had done three stages of the rally, before being swapped out or a different tread pattern. and the rears I was using were on the front for the remaining 5 stages.) and also the first time I got to drive spirited on the new shock and spring setup.
I managed to take out 2nd in class, and roughly mid pack overall. (was never going to win with the likes of Jack Hawkeswood in his Mazda 2 AP4 competing!)

Any way some vids of the days skids at port Waikato.
Excuse the potato quality sound, just mute it.