Thomas' 1992 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Logan

Re: Thomas' 1992 GT

Post by Logan »

I guess you didnt have a battery issue before the swap?
If you have a digital multimeter you can disconnect the battery, set your DMM to measure current (make sure the probes are attached to the correct ports of the DMM) and put it between the battery terminal and connector. DONT turn your car on as you'll damage the DMM. The current draw should ideally be below 0.05A or thereabouts. If it's higher than that keep looking. You can narrow down the problematic circuit by removing fuses 1 by 1 and checking the current draw. If it drops then you know that circuit is drawing current.

If the current draw is already low then I would suggest checking you have enough earths, they are clean and have good connection to the body.
1996 Turbo SW20

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Logan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:50 pm
I guess you didnt have a battery issue before the swap?
If you have a digital multimeter you can disconnect the battery, set your DMM to measure current (make sure the probes are attached to the correct ports of the DMM) and put it between the battery terminal and connector. DONT turn your car on as you'll damage the DMM. The current draw should ideally be below 0.05A or thereabouts. If it's higher than that keep looking. You can narrow down the problematic circuit by removing fuses 1 by 1 and checking the current draw. If it drops then you know that circuit is drawing current.

If the current draw is already low then I would suggest checking you have enough earths, they are clean and have good connection to the body.
Yes if it was fine before and now this new engine harness is in, checking it's load draw will help determine what's up with it. Based on our discussions over the last few days and what I've seen with the harness, it's a little suspect.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Not much more progress to be honest. Replaced that vacuum fitting by grabbing one from pick a part.

Engine is still running rough, doesn't want to idle, just stalls out. Code 31 - MAP Sensor.

I am literally getting every light on the dashboard however, with the Cat temp, battery, and cooling fan lights all on. Alternator issue guarenteed - Only running now (Briefly) at ~12.8V.

The altenator wiring matches to all the pins, as well as the alternator casing grounding when it's unplugged.

Parasitic draw I thought was a huge issue, thanks to Logan, who was a huge help. However, it jumps around a lot, but never about ~ 70mA. Usually saw about anywhere below 60mA draw.

Unsure where to go from here, must be a bad alternator I guess?

Engine grounding seems to be okay, all connected up.
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

The final issues are just needing ironing out.

I currently have pretty much no altenator - I have a replacement one, however it's the oval 3 pin instead of my current not working round 3 pin. I tried to get an adaptor but nobody has one in stock. If anyone knows where to get one that'd be great, otherwise it's off to Pick a Part or Zebra to grab an altenator of an Altezza.

My ECU is throwing a code for the Vehicle Speed Sensor as I have a speedo cable Rev 1 E153. I just need to connect the wires together.

The fuel pump relay system keeps playing up - Even though i've wired it up together. I can't hear the fuel pump as loud anymore, and the car doesn't like anything more than about 1/2 throttle below 3.5k RPM. After 3.5k RPM it's mint.

But there was about 1 day where the fuel pump system was mint. This Gen 4 is responsive..... To say the least. Not as hard hitting as I thought.

My battery levels aren't the best, so I can't tell exactly what boost I'm hitting. I'm on stock wastegate system though. My boost gauge keeps playing up - I presume it's the altenator. It was fine before the swap. I'll see how I go after the altenator.

Little things to iron out now. Nearly there. I don't have a huge amount of free time this week, so I'll have to do as much as I can this weekend.
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Well silly me, I've been driving around all week with no alternator. Only needed a jump once :lol:

It was boosting really well last night. Running mint, pulling well. Today on the other hand - Not so much.

Any vigilant aucklander would've seen my MR2 breakdown in the only tunnel we have, blocking the southbound lane of the waterview tunnel at 7.30am this morning. Car died when I turned my lights on to go into the tunnel. Smelt electrical smoke in the cabin. Towed out on their *free* tow truck, the car started right back up after getting off the tow truck. Silly me drove it home, thinking I just had overloaded the battery.

Driving home, it died again. Would turn over but no spark at all anywhere.

Turns out, my whole wiring harness is fried.
Fried wiring harness.jpg
Fried wiring harness 2.jpg
My earths are totally fried - Somehow this wiring harness I was given has clearly had the power and earths connect somehow :(

Dropped it off to an auto sparky to take a look at it, will see how I go. But nothing but frustration now.
13.2 @ 107mph

GDII

Post by GDII »

That is well cooked! I knew that earth wire would be trouble! Unless it's a side affect of your alternator troubles.

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Finally we are complete!

About 2 weeks ago, my car broke down after frying the earth wires. What happened was that the earth wires weren't great, they were old, tired, and worn. What happened was, the car used the wiring harness to ground, and burnt it all out. Thankfully the wiring behind the dashboard wasn't burnt out.

Thankfully now we are running after replacing every earth in the car (Except the dashboard ones).

Some photos of the swap:
20200911_191948.jpg
Gen 4 arriving with the Prime MR2 Downpipe test fitted.
20200911_204101.jpg
Start of the swap. Can't thank Carl enough for letting use his garage and giving up his weekend.
20200912_110536.jpg

Gen 2 out. So much oil......
20200912_172532.jpg
Gen 4 in! New motor mounts, and removal of charcoal system, and a few other things. Intercooler pipes and Intake thanks to Kyle.

Then add like a month of intermittent running and problems

Now....
IMG20201008161007.jpg
IMG20201008161003.jpg
Gen 4 in and done. Catch can isn't set up right yet, as it needs a SERIOUS clean before anything cleans. Lots of milk haha.
IMG20200920181205.jpg
IMG20200920181148.jpg
IMG20200920181115.jpg
How the car is looking currently. Finally running with no lights on the dashboard, no more dead batteries at the gas station!

Big thanks again to Carl, Phil, Tony, Jabeo, Logan and Kyle for helping me get running, couldn't of done it without you.
13.2 @ 107mph

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Logan »

Looking great mate. Hope to see you on the tunnel run next week, you can finally drive through without going on a towie!
1996 Turbo SW20

GDII

Post by GDII »

So good to hear it's back running again after the nasty harness let the smoke out!

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Looks fantastic, glad you got sorted.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Logan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:10 pm
Looking great mate. Hope to see you on the tunnel run next week, you can finally drive through without going on a towie!
It's life pro tip - Why pay for gas, when if you breakdown in the tunnel, they give you a free tow out?

But yes fingers crossed I'll be there. Dates in my calendar and booked. Been running errands today - Runs mint not a single dash light on :D
13.2 @ 107mph

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Great to hear! Look forward to a run soon :wink:

Carl sounds like he gets around! Swapping engines in peoples cars left right an center around Auckland lately! :lol:
Logan wrote: ↑Looking great mate. Hope to see you on the tunnel run next week,
Tunnel run? I want to make some obnoxious turbo noises through tunnels too! ADub time soon! :twisted:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Logan »

Mr-Paulio wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 pm
Tunnel run? I want to make some obnoxious turbo noises through tunnels too! ADub time soon! :twisted:
Yeah you're invited on the page haha, but maybe you don't use facebook now?
https://www.facebook.com/events/316813869435546

Friday 16th at 8.30pm meeting at NorthWest
1996 Turbo SW20

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Mr-Paulio wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 pm
Great to hear! Look forward to a run soon :wink:

Carl sounds like he gets around! Swapping engines in peoples cars left right an center around Auckland lately! :lol:
Logan wrote: ↑Looking great mate. Hope to see you on the tunnel run next week,
Haha he does get around doesn't he!

Yeah mate, Oct 16th. Event is up on facebook. I should be on most upcoming MR2 runs now. Still haven't done my heater core haha
13.2 @ 107mph

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Yeah I don't seem to get event notifications now for some reason. Thought it was because I don't have the app on my phone?
Anyway, not sure my AW will have the bugs worked out enough for me to be comfortable to go more than 15mins from home by then. :lol:
But next time for sure!!
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator