Thomas' 1992 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: Thomas' 1992 GT

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Thought I'd post up some useful tips for anyone doing a Rev 1 SW20 JDM Turbo to Gen 4 3SGTE swap:

- The stock throttle cable fits. Mine fits well, but I'm replacing it only because it's worn and frayed.
- The stock fuel return line bolts up no issue.
- The stock fuel feed line does bolt up, but I made a custom line out of braided line as you will see above. Length needed is actually 0.85m.
- The existing cat can be used, and only a custom B pipe to be made up to hook into most aftermarket exhaust systems that have the flange just above the subframe.
- If you're doing the engine mounts, buy it from Prime MR2 or somewhere similar. I bought OEM ones from Mount Shop NZ and paid $450 NZD for 2 mounts, whereas I could've got some really nice Innovative Mount kit for like $500NZD.
- If you can - Do the downpipe while the engine is out. It's a huge pain otherwise.
- CHECK YOUR EARTHS. Don't be like me. Triple check it, otherwise your wiring loom will catch fire.
- Invest in a good harness. I can't stress this enough, it is exponetionally worth it. Getting OEM Functions working is difficult, but immensly worth it. I would either also get the OBD2 working, otherwise wire in a switch from the 2 pins that flash the CEL on the dash. A good harness will save you hours of trouble in the end, and you're just going to have to spend the money down the line anyway when something goes wrong in a cheaper harness.
- Keep as much Gen 2 3SGTE stuff as you can. Comes in helpful. I made the mistake of getting rid of the engine the same day as the swap for logistical reasons, but it wasn't a smart idea in hindsight.
- Use this opportunity to remove any excess OEM systems you want to remove i.e. Charcoal Canister, or replacing the firewall coolant hose with that MR2 Heaven kit. Can also use a dodge caravan hose - Will get the part number later.
- Don't forget to bypass the stock Gen 2 Fuel Pump Relay. Mentioned before. Reading up, this is an often overlooked part.
- If you have a Rev 1 E153, you will have the god awful speedo cable (RIP your forearm if you ever have to remove the cluster, I still have the marks on my arm over a month later). You will need to bypass the Vehicle Speed Sensor otherwise it will throw a CEL.

That's all my wisdom for now. Most of this I know by learning through mistakes haha. Live and learn.
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Excellent list!
GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:03 pm
- CHECK YOUR EARTHS. Don't be like me. Triple check it, otherwise your wiring loom will catch fire.
- Invest in a good harness. I can't stress this enough, it is exponetionally worth it. Getting OEM Functions working is difficult, but immensly worth it. I would either also get the OBD2 working, otherwise wire in a switch from the 2 pins that flash the CEL on the dash. A good harness will save you hours of trouble in the end, and you're just going to have to spend the money down the line anyway when something goes wrong in a cheaper harness.
So what you are saying is get me to do it? :wink:
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

GDII wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:49 pm
Excellent list!
GlanzaAtHeart wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:03 pm
So what you are saying is get me to do it? :wink:
Hahaha. Pretty much :lol: :lol:

Surely down the road I find another ECU harness and you make me one up :wink:
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Well today I was bored and decided to fit my front lip that I've had sitting for the last 3 months.

To remove the stock front lip, there should be 10 bolts along the bottom of the bumper. I emphasise should, as mine was just cable tied on.

The lip included 10 nuts and bolts, along with some washers. Just place them in the bolt holes and away you go. The bolt holes in the lip were a little snug, so I just filed them down enough for it to slide in.

Here are the bolts hanging out:
IMG20201014113202.jpg
Simply just attached the lip as it lined up mint.

Looking good:
IMG20201014121454.jpg
My passenger side fog light is missing a boltz and the mount is pretty gone too. I tried cable tieing it up, and it helped, but it's still on the piss. Anyone got some advice here?

But productive day and looking good :)
IMG20201014121553.jpg
13.2 @ 107mph

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That looks a lot more aggressive! I assume you will paint it body colour eventually?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

On the fog lights I used a stainless hex head Tex screw. The screws have a self tapping bit so only need to insert and tighten up with a battery drill.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Benckj wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:44 pm
On the fog lights I used a stainless hex head Tex screw. The screws have a self tapping bit so only need to insert and tighten up with a battery drill.
Thanks, I'll give this a go. Hopefully it fixes it.

I'll eventually paint this body colour, but there isn't a rush for it atm. But before christmas.
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Well I managed to get NOTHING on the car done this weekend, but I picked up some parts:

- A set of factory shocks and lowered front springs. Worn shocks, and factory rear springs, but they'll be the start to replace my BC Golds coilovers.

- New Enkei 17" Wheels. When i say new, new to me. Cheap second hand wheels, but in my opinion a really awesome colour ( I thought they were bronze but everyone says they're not?). Colours pops with the red. Will get some RE003s in the next couple weeks when my wallet permits.
Enkei.jpg
Enkei.jpg (398.98 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
- A REPLICA TOMS SCOOP!!! I have been searching for one of these for months now, and I finally found one. It's a bit rough and ready, but it fits perfect and looks awesome.
TOMS Scoop.jpg
Over the next few weeks I'll sand it down, bog it, and get it painted red. Ecstatic I got one of these, hard to come by ones that fit these days. :D :D :D :D :D
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Small update, but got some more cleaning up of the car done.

Test fitted the wheels and TOMS Scoop:
Both wheels test fit jacked.jpg
Test Fit Wheel Front Jacked.jpg
Toms Scoop Front.jpg
TOMS Scoop Rear.jpg
Also after months of having a blank hole in my dash, I finally fitted a 12V accessory socket. Please be aware to anyone who fits one after missing, the plug has 2 prongs, one earth and one 12V power. 12V power is the pink wire, and the ground is the white with black stripe. On the plug, 1 prong has '12V' enscribed on it. THIS IS GROUND. I don't know why they designed it like this ????
12V Accessory Jack.jpg
12V Socket out.jpg
Fitted it so I can put in a dash cam. Very boomer move. But brings down my insurance premium, and helps me records things at meets. Plus I love watching those Australian Dash Cam videos on youtube.
Dash Cam.jpg
Wiring was another big issue I tackled today haha (PTSD from my harness) as my radio keeps cutting out when I blast the music. An amp wiring kit solved it with a thick ground and power wire, with an inline fuse as well. 8 Gauge. I replaced the factory 4 inch rear speakers with some 6x9s installed into the parcel shelf? behind the seats. The small compartment lids behind the seats where the T Tops sit. Don't have any photos of this.

A successful couple days cleaning up some issues and missing things from the MR2, slowly becoming cleaner as time goes on.
13.2 @ 107mph

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

Fitted it so I can put in a dash cam. Very boomer move. But brings down my insurance premium, and helps me records things at meets. Plus I love watching those Australian Dash Cam videos on youtube.
Maybe you can finally catch those big fire balls out my exhaust i keep hearing about :lol:
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Jabeo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:17 pm
Maybe you can finally catch those big fire balls out my exhaust i keep hearing about :lol:
It was pretty sick watching that flame pop not gonna lie. The double flame too. Was epic, wish I caught it on camera. Hopefully now I will. Next time.
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Well, took it to the run yesterday, handled great.
MR2 Pizza run halfway stop.jpg
MR2 Pizza run halfway stop.jpg (228.17 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
I've noticed a couple issues now though:

- The clutch master cylinder needs to be done. The clutch feels soft when you drive hard for more than ~ 20 minutes. It's a hard feeling to describe, but I know it's the master cylinder as when we bled it for the engine swap, the pedal didn't really want to return back up, and stayed down often. I have a replacement ready, just finding time to bleed it.

- T Top seals. OH. MY. LORD. They are leaky. Today in Auckland rain, they leaked and dripped down out my interior dome lights/rear view mirror holder thing. IN THE CENTER! Onto my gear stick where my hand was!

- Tyres. I hate Nankangs. But that'll have to wait a lil bit until I get a couple paydays.

- Get a new throttle cable, my gen 2 one is starting to fray and ocassionaly causes some issues. Not fun.

Hopefully when I get some free time in the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to sort this out. But for now, the gen 4 goes well, and is super responsive.
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

A short lived MR2 journey...

A couple weeks ago my MR2 was involved in an accident, and is now a write off :(

The worst part was, literally only had got it running the day before! Spent $380 on a brand new, refurbished alternator.....
IMG20201121180822.jpg
Unfortunately, it's a write off due the hidden chassis damage. Quote was like 10k+!

So i've bought the car back from insurance, and organised a new shell from Palmerston North to pickup from christmas. This is a Rev 1 GT without running gear, and is a hardtop. Not my first pick via hardtop, but saves me any wiring complications being a Rev 1 GT.

Over the next 2 months I will endeavour to *again* Gen 4 Swap!! Stay tuned team.
13.2 @ 107mph

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Sorry to see your misfortune as you were just getting on top of things. Hopefully the new car comes out just as good.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods