MR2 #3

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

MR2 #3

Post by thorns »

Well after not really gelling with SW20's (2 of), Imade the mistake of going to look at a AW11, rest is history.
Car is very tidy for its age, and pretty happy with the buy. A few little niggles to fix up, already have a new badge for the front on the way. Paint could do with a little love in places, but mostly minor so defintily not a urgent concern.

Not really any plans to go crazy with it, only thing I really do need for now is a new steering wheel purely because the stock one is a bit big being a tall bugger, so a smaller 330mm period correct nardi/momo is on the cards once I make my mind up.

Will get some new pics up once I have given it a minor detail and spruce up. Pic below from Bryan's for sale ad

1990 SW20 Turbo, Previously 1991 Green SW20 Turbo basket case

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Re: MR2 #3

Post by Alsw20 »

Race hub have new steering wheels. Got a Momo Montecarlo off them for my FX-GTV.

https://racehub.co.nz/products/steering ... 111792217L

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

So a small bit of progress.

-Compression test, all cylinders within 5psi of each other and around the 165psi mark, not terrible for a stock/original (as far as I am aware) engine

-Touched up the paint chips using a Loew Cornell pen and some colour matched paint. Looks good, I still know where they are there, and are visible if you are looking really close, but overall a good wee touch to sharpen the looks a little.

-Added the screaming chicken badge that was missing (sure this adds 5hp)

-Decided to buy a 330mm Nardi steering wheel, bit of a mission in the end, wheel was far to close with the boss kit, so ended up doing some measurements and ordered a spacer, 120mm long, brings the wheel right out which works well for me with drivers seat in the far back position.

-Picked up a set of lightweight 14" Rays CE28N wheels, also have a set of sticky Advan tyres being fitted. Wheels needed some elbow grease to bring back to looking respectable, but a few days cleaning and then ceramic coat has brought them back to suitable for now. Wheels aren't first choice, but will be nice place holders for now. Pic of wheels as picked up.

-Lastly, after watching a review by a AW11 youtuber (Driving4answers) I thought I'd try the perfexpert dyno app, not sure on accuracy but figure if its consistent could be interesting to check cars power if I put cams or anything into the motor comparing back to base runs. Did 6 runs, 2 were throwaways, and 4 were pretty consistent. Attached the middle result from the consistent ones, this is in theory power at the wheels

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Being a big bugger myself I could not fit into the AW11. They are great cars with huge potential but I would have to have a surgical operation to drive.

Look forward to your mod progress. Guessing that is not an OEM colour so must have been re-painted at some stage. Any pics of engine bay?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Benckj wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:53 am
Being a big bugger myself I could not fit into the AW11. They are great cars with huge potential but I would have to have a surgical operation to drive.

Look forward to your mod progress. Guessing that is not an OEM colour so must have been re-painted at some stage. Any pics of engine bay?
Yip, Im 6ft 3, and with stock steering wheel I couldn't comfortably turn the wheel without it jammed against the top of my legs, now with the small wheel, and with it a lot closer, super comfy and can even heel and toe, would almost consider trying a 350mm wheel at some stage as well.

Yes, respray by the original owner who brought it into the country 25 years ago, was a full strip down, engine out job, all sills, boot, frunk, engine bay etc matching colour so was done well at the time, showing its age a bit in places now, but on the whole still good condition. Will grab some engine bay photos this weekend when I add the wheels on as well.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Wheels and tyres fitted up, not best day here for outside photoshoot, so dim garage shot will do

Engine bay as it sits now. Have ordered a Jimi thottle bracket to play with and tidy up the engine bay a bit

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

She's looking good!!
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Scrubs up alright for an old girl, fresh clean and some bright sun makes the 'pumping red pearl' pop

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Third times a charm, your adub looks mint and I'm looking forward to following your progress. Also downloading perfexpert now hahaha
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Swampy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:58 pm
Third times a charm, your adub looks mint and I'm looking forward to following your progress. Also downloading perfexpert now hahaha
Thanks!

Let me know how you get on with the perfexpert, I am a bit dubious about it, it seems to magically equate to the factory engine HP numbers on the average pulls. I guess the only way to really test it is to add more power...

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

I'll upload my results on my thread, note it's for my ae101 4afe though. Interestingly my torque and power curves are very similar to yours, but I've got a modded intake and for this test used 98 lol
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Winter project starting to take shape

Just got to put new clutch in, and get a WOF before tearing into it.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Initial mock up complete. Strip down went pretty well apart from one bolt on the underside of the intake manifold, getting it out was up there with replacing a Hose from hell in enjoyment stakes!
Lots of small things to tidy up:
-Extend injector wires so I can hide the loom under the throttle bodies
-New fuel delivery line, will get a nice braided one made up
-change fuel pressure regulator, currently where return runs, would go directly into the top of throttle body
-relocate coolant tank to allow running the pipercross filter setup, or fit smaller aftermarket one
-find a good location to mount the vacuum collector block, ideally under the throttle bodies to keep things looking tidy
-give engine bay a good detail, looks very untidy now with shiny blingy trumpets

Thats the main ones anyway.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

A bits has happened since last post, not as much as I would have wanted as waiting on parts and btis and pieces.

After initial mock up I realised that running the wires over top just looks messy, so stripped the harness back and and have rerouted to travel under the trumpet setup. Looks much tidier.

With running the wires under, decided it would be good to ensure they dont get caught up in the throttle linkage so came up with the below basic design, and had a workmate bend this up for me. Has benefit of being able to mount the vacuum block out of site as well.

Finished result

Basic schematic for where the vacuum hoses will run etc

One thing I found is that that the FPR in its standard orientation fouls on the throttle bodies. General consensus was that a 20v FPR was the answer, however looked a few and they all had the same issue, however noted I should just be able to loosen it and spin the outlet pipe 180deg on the stock one, seems to be okay so far... may look to change to aftermakret FPR at some stage, but more interested in not changing to much and getting running for now.

While messing round with the fuel side of things, ordered a shiny JSP fab fuel rail to complement the bling of the rest of the of the setup. Added benefit is they are machined to allow the injectors to spin and allow for the plugs to be hidden under the fuel rail, so no pesky wires and plugs poking up.

TPS has been wired up for the new 20v one, wiring for anyone else doing this is in reverse

Other things:
-have made up a new stainless braided fuel line to go from filter to fuel rail, also removes the pulse damper (seems these are not needed, happy to be corrected)
-while I had injectors out, got them cleaned, tested and seals etc replaced
-got a spare set of cam cover to paint up, just waiting on some warmer weather

Now at the stage where I can start bolting everything up while I wait for the ECU and patch harness to arrive.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by thorns »

Pretty much finished up, just in time for summer fun! As usual, well over time and budget, but just got off the dyno this evening and all ready to rip.

Engine bay setup, Alu plate with IAT poking through, and vacuum block mounted out of sight underneath.

Patch harness and ECU connected

All buttoned up

Had to relocate the coolant resevoir as pipercross filter setup clashed with it. Had to also run the filter setup upside down to avoid clashing with the alternator, bit of a much round, never as straight forward as you think!