I bought an AW11, YOU WHAT!

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

I bought an AW11, YOU WHAT!

Post by pmiller »

So after two years of research, searching and procrastination I finally did it. I bought a AW11. After watching this car on Trademe, I decided to check in on the auction with only one hour to go and one too many whiskies. A combination that is more dangerous than snap oversteer in the wet.

My wish list:
An AW11 in original condition
Low milage
No rust, (what do you mean, these don't exist) Ok then rust removed or at least a solid car.
Manual
Sun roof
White and silver or white and beige.

Yeap, I'll have one just like this.
aw11-1.jpg
Not quite the same but pretty dam close.
side view.jpg
side view.jpg (449.62 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
What I got:
1986 AW11, NA. Import
180,000 kms
Reported as having some blemishes, scratches and aging of paint work
Manual with no gearbox issues
Sun roof
White and silver.

Well, all of that sounds just fine said my whiskey soaked brain. So I set the auto bid and watched as the dollars climbed. Then the other bidder pulled out and it was mine. On no, what have I done, the car is in Dunedin and I am in Taranaki so I brought an AW11 sight unseen. What could possible go wrong?

The next 10 days passed slower than a Toyota part being flown from Japan. I had to wait for the car to get a WOF and then to be delivered. It arrived on the back of a transporter, looking very grubby and unloved.
I took the photo above after two days of grooming. This is a great way to find any body or panel issues.
My next post will show what I found.

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Clean to inspect

Post by pmiller »

Clean to inspect, inspect to detect, detect to correct and correct to perfect!

The first job, when I picked up the car from the transporter, it needed a push start (luckily these little beasties weigh less than a Big Mac). The ignition was left in standby and by the time I picked it up the battery was too flat to crank.

The next job was a deep clean so I could find all of the body issues. So what did I find? Surprisingly, very little:
A small rust blister on the RH rear arch by the mud flap.
RH Rear.jpg
RH Rear.jpg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
The LH rear arch looks clean but the fit looks suspicious.
LH Rear.jpg
LH Rear.jpg (7.66 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
A small rust stain under side window rubber. Who knows what delights await here.
LH Rear window.jpg
LH Rear window.jpg (287.39 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
General scuffs, stone chips and scratches but nothing too major. Too general to photograph

The interior is tidy but the vinyl on the centre console is lifting the corner
Interior.jpg
Interior.jpg (514.08 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
Front splitter rubber has a small tear. (No photo).

My plan is to keep the car in near original condition and to tidy up any faults. So far I am really pleased with the purchase and I am enjoying working on the car.
My To Do seems to be on growth hormones and every time I look I have found another five things to do.

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Colin

Re: I bought an AW11, YOU WHAT!

Post by *84vvt »

Nice well done 8)
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20

Post by thorns »

Nice buy and welcome. I too had plans to keep mine stock, but I am failing miserably. :P
1990 SW20 Turbo, Previously 1991 Green SW20 Turbo basket case

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Awesome, good find! Keep us in the loop with what work you do to it and any parts you might need
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Good Find "Fortune favours the brave ". I bought my 86 AW11 SC sight unseen from Invercargill so i know the feeling you had whilst waiting for it . I backloaded mine on an empty trucks deck so the transport costs were good as well.

I was lucky like you and mine turned out to be a good one as well so hey if you have as much fun as ive had with mine then well Done.Keep in touch and hope to see you on th eroad one day
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pmiller »

Hey, Thanks for the support everyone. Looking forward to meeting up on an event

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pmiller »

thorns wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:54 pm
Nice buy and welcome. I too had plans to keep mine stock, but I am failing miserably. :P
That looks like an epic fail :D

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Throttle Cable

Post by pmiller »

The really cool thing about the AW11 is that it has been around since 1984 so no matter what goes wrong someone has worked out how to fix it and shared a video. The not so cool thing about the AW11 is that it has been around since 1984 so everything needs doing.

The throttle felt sticky and I found myself over revving it when releasing the clutch. For a moment I thought that this was just operator error (what, not my driving skills), in an ego saving move, I quickly dispatched that hurtful thought and I decided to lay the blame on the equipment. A quick check found that the throttle cable was frayed where it entered the cable casing. Well, that looks like a nice simple job to cut my teeth on. I quickly found numerous posts on how to do this. I had already decided that threading in a new cable was the best way to go. There was lots of info on cable diameter (1,6mm) but nothing on the length. When it comes to throttle cable, I can assure you that length and girth are both important. :roll:
What I removed from my car was a 2mm cable (not 1.6mm) and there was still amble room inside the cable casing. The 2mm cable actually dials in at 1.8mm. And as for the length, you will need about 3.2m so I brought 4m of SS cable from the local lifting centre for $4.
I cut the original cable at the throttle body end and pulled it through from the accelerator pedal. I removed the seat first to help with the access.
seat out2.jpg
seat out2.jpg (433.7 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
Hmm, my garage is starting to look like most other AW11 owners. More bits on the floor than on the car.

Next I tinned the cable ends with solder to stop it splaying and threaded it through the existing cable body. Feeding from the engine bay to the interior. I drilled out the existing cable attachments and soldered them onto the new cable.
Job done!
Well no. I promised myself that every time I repair something I will restore whatever I touch. To replace the cable I had removed the over engineered cable bracket. This is a monstrosity and it could easily double as a strengthening bracket for the new cycle bridge that Aucklanders will soon be enjoying. There are a lot of designs out there for replacement cable brackets and these have been perfected into neat, compact, light-weight units. In fact, everything the original bracket is not. The original bracket is so ugly that I decided that it just had to stay and not only that I would make a feature of it by painting it bright blue.
And so the to-do list has grown and I am now 3 weeks into an engine bay detail. This is the almost B4 pix, I had some blue vac tube and a blue radiator cap in my 'just in case' bin so these got added to go with the nice blue throttle bracket.
Engine bay B4.jpg
Engine bay B4.jpg (525.09 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
The next job is more detailing, painting and new silicon water hoses. Thanks Aliexpress.

thorns
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch

Post by thorns »

Have got a Jimi throttle bracket I no longer need if you wanted to get rid of the spider type bracket.
http://jlawson.co.uk/originalsite/Vario ... acket.html
1990 SW20 Turbo, Previously 1991 Green SW20 Turbo basket case

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Re: Throttle Cable

Post by ClanFever »

pmiller wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:48 pm
The really cool thing about the AW11 is that it has been around since 1984 so no matter what goes wrong someone has worked out how to fix it and shared a video. The not so cool thing about the AW11 is that it has been around since 1984 so everything needs doing.

Hmm, my garage is starting to look like most other AW11 owners. More bits on the floor than on the car.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pmiller »

thorns wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:25 am
Have got a Jimi throttle bracket I no longer need if you wanted to get rid of the spider type bracket.
http://jlawson.co.uk/originalsite/Vario ... acket.html
Thanks for the offer. Im going to try the making a feature out of the ugly bracket first (resisting the urge to modify) but if it is too hideous I can then go with the Jimi item knowing that I did my best to resist modifying it :D

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pmiller »

How can changing a throttle cable take a month?
Easy you start by cleaning everything that you remove and then you clean everything around everything that you remove. Half way thru this, you decide that since it has been removed and cleaned it really should be painted.
painted bits.jpg
painted bits.jpg (449.94 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
Half way through this, the new silicone coolant hoses arrive. Thanks Aliexpress.
blue stuff.jpg
blue stuff.jpg (356.49 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
While replacing the coolant hoses the you notice that the lower engine block is thick with oil and grime. Well, obviously this too will need to be cleaned. Oh and why is there oil dripping from the distributor. I better buy a distributor kit.
Gosh those blue coolant hoses look good so the vacuum hoses should also be changed to blue.
vac hose.jpg
vac hose.jpg (424.37 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
Ah sh.t those HT leads look out of place , I wonder if there are any blue HT leads out there for a AW11. There is, thanks Trademe I will have a set.
Hmmm, I better replace the fuel, injector rubber while they are out. What, you removed the fuel injector rail and fuel injectors. Why on earth did you do that. Well, you see, once I removed the plenum.
dirty pix.jpg
What the hey, you were only replacing the throttle cable. You don't need to remove the plenum. Yea, I know. But, you see the plenium was very dirty and I noticed a vapour blaster business while driving home so I though why not. I'll tell you why not. The plenum is a shoe full of bastards to remove and then once you have removed it you will need to change the gaskets. Hey, I not silly you know. I bought a valve grind gasket set from Repco on clearance for only $87. Great price but you do know that the valve regrind set does not include a the TVIS joiner gasket. Err, yea. I know that now cause I just spent the afternoon cutting out a replacement.
So how is new throttle cable. It is somewhat embarrassing to say but I don't know because I got a bit distracted so it is not finished yet.
reassembly.jpg
reassembly.jpg (407.02 KiB) Viewed 3685 times

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pmiller »

Well, It has been a while since my last post. The work on the engine bay tidy up has been like most tasks I undertake, three steps forward and to backwards while I undo what I have just done, plus the occasional pivot because something else caught my eye. I painted the fuel rail blue to tie into the rest of the colour scheme but the new copper washer I used under the FPR was not seated correctly and it leaked fuel causing the fresh paint blister. So I have now removed this to repaint it but this time in red to give a little bit of pop. The pivot came when I came to start the car (prior to the fuel rail repaint). It started up immediately but it idled at 800rpm and not the expected 2000rpm. I had changed all of the vac hoses to (blue silicone of course). So I checked all of the connections and could find nothing wrong. I also changed the fuel filter but I cannot see why this would cause the low idle. I also changed the water hoses so I been bleeding and re-bleeding the system. I took the car for a run and it was not a rev happy 4Age, very sluggish. I zoomed in on the TVIS and reverse engineered the vac connections. All seemed correct. I tested the VSV and it was not exhausting. Where to get a replacement VSV? I found a VSV of a3SGE in my 'Ya never know when ya gunna need this bin' so I installed this but this required a new plug so I swapped this as well. The paint on the fuel rail in not dry so I've yet to test it. Fingers are crossed. Meantime I thought I would share a photo of the engine bay.
Attachments
engine lhs.jpg
engine lhs.jpg (436.86 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

pmiller
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pmiller »

Radio wiring.
The car came with a panasonic stereo, original 3.5" speakers up front and two 6" sony speakers under the rear seats. The 6' speakers could not be heard and the front speakers were fuzzy (technical term for shit). What to do. I purchased an Alpine din1 stereo CDE 163EBT plus two alpine 3.5" speakers. No idea what it will sound like but it can't be worse.

What a mess. Turns out it was not as bad as it looked.
wiring as is.jpg
wiring as is.jpg (354.8 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
The insulation tape was covering a splice job into the lighting. Not sure what for because it was not connected so I removed this, resoldered and heat shrunk the joints.
For the radio I had to splice into the blue power cable. Other cables were plugged into the black connector using Jaycar pins.
BLUE (constant 12v power)
PINK&BLUE (ignition controlled 12v power)
RED (right speaker +)
BLACK&RED (right speaker -)
YELLOW (left speaker +)
WHITE (left speaker -)
GREEN (subwoofer amp power-on signal)
GREEN (12v power when headlights are turned on (AKA dimmer)). This is the green wire with no wire above it in the plug.

Once all wires from the alpine plug were plugged into the Toyota black plug I turned it on. Success first time. Next I labelled all wires and then I folded the wires back onto the plug and taped them in position. This stops the wires being pulled out when removing the radio.
end result.jpg
It sounds a lot better but not great compared to a modern day car stereo. So I now have a subwoofer on order. I am not expecting HiFi because of the speaker size and box limitations but I do want to enjoy the music. Looks like the bottomless pit is getting deeper.