Pureadrenalins Race MR2

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Garnett

Pureadrenalins Race MR2

Post by pureadrenalin »

After years of trawling here and on other forums, I thought I'd put a page up here on my current MR2

I purchased it a little less than a year ago to replace one that I had run the bearings on. Thought it was eaiser at the time to purchase one rather than go about fixing my current one :lol:

Here are some photos of how I got it, de-stickered.

It was soon to get stickered again for the Taranaki Tarmac rally

The car has overheating problems, so its up on stands, ready to have the engine dropped for a bit of TLC.
ARP head, main, rod, flywheel bolts. New bearings, rings, metal head gasket.
New bypass oil system (thanks Nick)

While I'm at it I will put in my spare gearbox, with cusco 2 way LSD goodness.

Just for shits and giggles, I’ve been contemplating a big brake kit, and really like the look of the Wolfkatz one from the states, but really don’t want to pay postage on things like rotors.
Tonight (24/3/11) I got a EVO 6+ front brembo caliper and rotor from a friend to see how far they are out from bolting up, and was pleasantly surprised how close they are.

The difference from bolt hole to bolt hole on the hub to the caliper is about 6mm, so I’m really thinking of getting some and taking off 3mm each side to make them fit.
Other than that 6mm, the offset from center of hub to match the EVO 320mm rotor is almost perfect. I guess the increase in size of the caliper pretty much takes into account the ~26mm difference in radius of an MR2 rotor to an EVO one.

numbers
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Jakke

Re: Pureadrenalins Race MR2

Post by numbers »

:shock: them brakes

Want
I write a lot of posts, but that does not mean you will see them.

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

finally finished stripping the engine ready to send it to the rebuilders.
A couple of nice suprises while pulling it apart. I found a Toda light weight chrome molly flywheel (actually, found this last year swapping the clutch), found that the intake manifold has been ported and knife edged into the TVIS plate, TVIS plate has had the butterflys removed, holes filled and matched to the intake, head has about 50mm of "porting". Well, not really porting, just matching to the TVIS and manifold.
Intake valves look nice and shiny.
Today I pulled the cam cover off to find HKS stamped onto the cams 8)

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

Well some bad news from stripping the engine and dropping it off at the engine rebuilders.
I have to go get some new pistons, and probably use one of my spare blocks.
So last week I ordered some Wiesco 86.5mm, 9.1CR forgies to replace the ROSS forgies that were in my engine. Here is a shot of a couple of the pistons. Has done this to 3 of the four cylinders. All on the intake side, all on the flywheel side of the intake side.
The sides of the piston that are left from the valve recesses are only about 1-2mm thick. Silly design really, but problems are all in the tune!

Dell'orto
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Brad

Post by Dell'orto »

How bizarre!
Current - 1990 SW20 GT - back in black
Previous - 1990 SW20 GT, 1987 AW11 Supercharger

http://zrogrp.orcon.net.nz

vvega
Guest of the Club.

Post by vvega »

def can see a whole lot of det going on there !!
Wayne Dalton
Knower of stuff and things

mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.
First name: Shane

Post by mr2 Tubby »

What afr's and gas etc were you using. Would you care to post your dyno of the old tune that may have caused this, really strange. Curious why this happened :shock:
196.2kW ATW at 16.6psi
CT26 hybrid TO4E-46 trim compressor
Linky to build/dyno

vvega
Guest of the Club.

Post by vvega »

for those that dont know .. looking at the crown edge you can see a pitted sort of wear ... this is what det looks like on a piston
Wayne Dalton
Knower of stuff and things

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

Red line is as I got it, stopped dyno at 6000rpm (I don't know why)
Blue is as it is right now

Always run on 98.

mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.
First name: Shane

Post by mr2 Tubby »

AFR's aren't that bad maybe someones dialled in too much timing
196.2kW ATW at 16.6psi
CT26 hybrid TO4E-46 trim compressor
Linky to build/dyno

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

So many projects going on at once on theis car. Here's another one.
I'm really not happy with the wiring in my race car. There are 4 or 5 relays mounted in the boot, on the back of the firewall. The wiring is an absolute spagetti nightmare. Worse thing is that if something goes wrong, I don't know which realy controls what. So while the engine is at the rebuilders, I'm redoing everything.
Currently the relays just have 4 wires with crimps attached to each, so if I need to replace one, I really have to pay attention to where I take each wire from. I'm trying to make it a little more idiot proof, and have realy holders, labled as to what they control. Will also make finding a blown fuse a little eaiser.

Heres my start point:

cant beat a $5 plastic chopping board.

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

I'm looking at mounting this relay/fuse holder behind the passengers seat on the firewall. Few reasons for this.

The guys that are doing my engine rebuild race high reving 3sge, and have a fair knowledge of these engines. One of the guys builds dry sump kits for them!! Asked if I'd thought about a dry sump, I said sure, first I need my money tree to shed a bit more fruit.
He also makes adjustable cam gears like the ATS racing ones.

Given the price at which he does these things, I'm trying to future plan space in the boot of the car, so the filter system I have will be located in the boot in the right rear arch, hopefully leaving space for a future dry sump tank :twisted:

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

Well I had a good day. Found an electric external oil pump for $50!
I am going to get a couple of fittings welded on to my sump bowl, and add another oil cooler with this pump.
Great thing is, adding this cooler won't steal PSI's (pressure lol) from my main mechanical pump, and I'll be able to turn it on/off at will

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

WooooHoooooo

Got my engine back from the re-builders today. Gonna be a weekend of putting on ancillary 8)

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pureadrenalin »

I finally found some time to start installing parts onto it today.
5sfe oil pump, with 3sgte pump gear, water pump, idlers, tensioner, cam belt, covers, crank pully.
I had two AN10 fittings welded into the cam cover for my new custom breather can that should be ready this week.
I'm about to head back down to the garage to get a few more bits on, like the water coolant neck, thermostat housing, intake manifold, etc.