GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Post by Alsw20 »

Yokohama have a special on at the moment with the Advan Neova AD08R.

However they are more in line with the 14" wheel widths than the 15" wheel widths.

195/50R15 and 205/50R15

Although I'd wager that the Advans will outperform correct stock size Toyos.

Under $1000 should get you a set quite comfortably.

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Hugh

Post by ToyMonsta »

Really nice MR2 you got there GDII it's still in pretty good nick!
1990 MR2 GT Rev 1 (Garaged Gem) 191,000 KMs (Rebuilding Engine Now)

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Alsw20 wrote:Yokohama have a special on at the moment with the Advan Neova AD08R.

However they are more in line with the 14" wheel widths than the 15" wheel widths.

195/50R15 and 205/50R15

As I am looking at 17s the cost of AD08R is nearer $1500 for a set sadly.
ToyMonsta wrote:Really nice MR2 you got there GDII it's still in pretty good nick!
Thanks. It's taking a while but I'm getting there. The car seemed quite tidy when I bought it compared to others out there.
You have transformed your car quite significantly though. Keep it garaged or the paint will go funky again, but you probably know this with your 13 years in the detailing industry. The paint on these things is very soft. I've learnt a whole lot from Larry of Ammo NYC about paint types and washing a car properly to reduce further scratching.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

GDII wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:Yokohama have a special on at the moment with the Advan Neova AD08R.

195/50R15 and 205/50R15

17s do make you feel like you're crashing into the road at times. Perhaps a firmer 15 inch tyre of some sort? Run a bit more psi... you want a bit of comfort if you're wanting to use it more then I use mine, considering you use it to browse the south island
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

GDII

Post by GDII »

ClanFever wrote:
GDII wrote:

195/50R15 and 205/50R15

17s do make you feel like you're crashing into the road at times. Perhaps a firmer 15 inch tyre of some sort? Run a bit more psi... you want a bit of comfort if you're wanting to use it more then I use mine, considering you use it to browse the south island
You have Teins and probably hitting your bump stops. They are too low and stiff for performance driving. Show car or smooth track driving only. I've followed your car and watched it bounce up and down on bumps where it shouldn't.

Yes 17's will make the ride stiffer and same with the TRD springs. I still have my 15" standard wheels to put tires on to if I want a bit more comfort. The larger 22V brakes don't fit under the BBS wheels at the front so I can't keep them when I upgrade the brakes.

GDII

Post by GDII »

A few shots taken by a mate prior to the June 5th run.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

Fantastic shots! What do you use for your detailing? :o

GDII

Post by GDII »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:Fantastic shots! What do you use for your detailing? :o
Water and soap. :roll: :lol:

Actually I used a combination of products and methods to get the car to where it is right now.

First off I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound to remove the deeper scratches. I used a small microfibre pad and lots of elbow grease. All done by hand, no machines. Maybe about 24 hours all up over a month, panel by panel.
Then I go over it with Mequires SwirlX to help remove the finer scratches left behind by the Ultimate Compound.
Then multiple layers of Turtlewax Extra Hard Shell Wax to protect the paint from UV and scratches.

To wash the car I use a microfibre tasseled covered sponge with some Turtlewax car wash. Never use wash and wax, it always leaves water marks and gets on all the trims and ruins it.
I'd like to have a foam gun and I should probably get a second bucket to help reduce extra scratching from washing it.

For the wheels I used the same method but instead of removing scratches from the paint I used the Ultimate Compound to remove the brake dust from the paint. Then a coat of wax. About 2 hours per wheel, even doing the barrels. Makes for really easy cleaning of wheels, especially when there are that many spokes. The wheels look so much better now with that treatment and are way more shiny. I have spent far too much time fixing up the paint on this car but it's been worth it. Keeping it garaged now really helps keep this paint in good condition.

For the black trims around the car I use CRC tire shine. I have put black vinyl over the black stripe around the car due to it being very faded and impossible to get back to factory condition without buying new ones.

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ToyMonsta »

GDII wrote:
4CylinderSpecial wrote:Fantastic shots! What do you use for your detailing? :o
Water and soap. :roll: :lol:

Actually I used a combination of products and methods to get the car to where it is right now.

First off I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound to remove the deeper scratches. I used a small microfibre pad and lots of elbow grease. All done by hand, no machines. Maybe about 24 hours all up over a month, panel by panel.
Then I go over it with Mequires SwirlX to help remove the finer scratches left behind by the Ultimate Compound.
Then multiple layers of Turtlewax Extra Hard Shell Wax to protect the paint from UV and scratches.

To wash the car I use a microfibre tasseled covered sponge with some Turtlewax car wash. Never use wash and wax, it always leaves water marks and gets on all the trims and ruins it.
I'd like to have a foam gun and I should probably get a second bucket to help reduce extra scratching from washing it.

For the wheels I used the same method but instead of removing scratches from the paint I used the Ultimate Compound to remove the brake dust from the paint. Then a coat of wax. About 2 hours per wheel, even doing the barrels. Makes for really easy cleaning of wheels, especially when there are that many spokes. The wheels look so much better now with that treatment and are way more shiny. I have spent far too much time fixing up the paint on this car but it's been worth it. Keeping it garaged now really helps keep this paint in good condition.

For the black trims around the car I use CRC tire shine. I have put black vinyl over the black stripe around the car due to it being very faded and impossible to get back to factory condition without buying new ones.
Very well done mate! Keep it up! :-)
You should grab yourself a makita rotory buffer and practice with that... you'll love the results and in 1/3 the time.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Thanks. I'd love to get a rotary buffer but the car has run out of paint so too dangerous to do much more than what is done now.

Spykerwolf
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Will

Post by Spykerwolf »

GDII wrote:Thanks. I'd love to get a rotary buffer but the car has run out of paint so too dangerous to do much more than what is done now.
Time for a blue respray :P
Current: None
Past: '92 NA Hardtop manual

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by ToyMonsta »

Spykerwolf wrote:
GDII wrote:Thanks. I'd love to get a rotary buffer but the car has run out of paint so too dangerous to do much more than what is done now.
Lol true! Well when you get it done make sure you slap some ceramic paint protection on it :D Oops wrong quote lol

GDII

Post by GDII »

Spykerwolf wrote:
Blue is nice but I dislike when a car is resprayed another colour and you can still see the original colour on parts of the car. If I changed the colour it would have to be a full tare down and respray in and out over ALL parts of the car.
ToyMonsta wrote:

Lol true! Well when you get it done make sure you slap some ceramic paint protection on it :D Oops wrong quote lol
Tell me more about this ceramic paint protection. Never heard of it. It sounds very expensive.

http://www.nanoshine.com.au/paint_protection.html

Hmmmm sounds far too permanent and not just anyone can apply it.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

GDII wrote: For the black trims around the car I use CRC tire shine. I have put black vinyl over the black stripe around the car due to it being very faded and impossible to get back to factory condition without buying new ones.
My window trim was pretty badly sunfaded, but I found that using plastidip has worked very well in making it appear new again, especially since it has a rubber texture similar to the trim. I'll be picking up some of that meguiars ultimate compound soon, I didn't know about the was & wax though :!: I've always had a few water spots that bug the hell outta me. The ceramic paint protection sounds cool, but judging from their clientele it'd probably be cheaper to wrap or dip the car than It'd be to get the protection.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Plastidip sounds like a good idea for the window trim. I used some gloss vinyl but it didn't form to the shape well, plus I got lazy and didn't do it as well as I could have.

Ultimate compound is more for paint repair than a protective coating.

I haven't used Wash and Wax myself but after seeing what it does to other peoples cars I don't like it. To me, you wash your car so that it is clean and contaminant free in step 1, then you repair any paint as required in step 2 then coat it with wax. You can't do step 1-3 in 1 step.